Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,510 Words
  • 2,958 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wolf Pack - 13. Te Hara pei Arudan

“What did you do?!” Paelius yelped, rushing into Masia’s room.

The human sat on the bed, scratching the ear of a white wolf. She looked up at the elf as he stood blustering just inside the doorway.

“I believe I did your job. You changed him, you should have seen this coming.”

“Danuva?” Quarian demanded, pushing past the elf.

He knelt beside the wolf, stroking him and whispering. Danuva shook his head vigorously, and Quarian sighed.

“Look, you can’t stay as a wolf. How would we get you out of here? I know it hurts, but you’re stronger than it. It will hurt less the more you do it, I promise.”

Masia’s heart broke at the wolf’s whimpers. He looked so small, so innocent as a wolf. She didn’t want to see him in pain.

The wolf shuddered, crying as he collapsed on the floor. His fur receded back into his body as he twisted, his face collapsing.

Within seconds, Danuva was laying on the floor in his human form, shivering from the exertion. Masia helped him sit up, embracing him.

“I’m sorry, I should have let you drink,” she said.

“We don’t know if it would have worked…” the new werewolf groaned.

“The potion? It worked… partially…” Quarian said, glancing at Paelius.

“Masia, did he… change you?” Paelius demanded.

“At my bidding,” Masia replied evenly.

“Why?”

“Every pack of wolves needs a mother,” the human shrugged. “I’ve thrown my lot in with you, for better or for worse.”

She turned and pressed her lips gently into Danuva’s mouth, and the man stifled a gasp, his eyes glowing with desire.

“Get dressed. Don’t take too long. Sandolin got here this morning and I want to leave in an hour. We’ll reach Te Hara pei Arudan before nightfall,” Paelius said, leaving the room.

Masia nodded at Quarian, and Danuva’s brother grumbled as he, too, left the room.

“Why?” Danuva asked when they were alone.

“Why what?” Masia replied, gathering the man’s clothes.

Danuva swallowed drily.

“Why did you have me change you?”

“Because it would have happened at some point. This way I could choose who deflowered me.”

“You used me?”

Masia nodded.

“I know we don’t always see eye to eye, but you are kind and gentle. I knew you wouldn’t hurt me. You don’t have a mean bone within you.”

She kissed the werewolf again.

“Were I to do it again, I would choose you every time,” she whispered.

Standing, the woman added, “Now let’s get you dressed. I want to get today over with.”

 

They moved out at a good pace, covering ten miles in Danuva’s cart before noon. People passing them on the road gave the group strange looks, seeing an armoured elf apparently guarding the cart of people,

Sandolin didn’t care what people thought. He scowled at anyone looking their way.

“I’m sorry,” Masia told him when they paused for a quick lunch. “I tried to help you get him.”

Sandolin looked at the elf, Paelius’ hand touching Quarian’s as they talked.

“It’s for the best,” he sighed. “Prince Paelius can play this off as trying to draw the elves and the humans closer, like his father meant to with you and him. I’m sure there were rumours about him and me anyways, and that would not do, for a prince to be sleeping with his squire.”

“I don’t understand it,” Masia admitted. “Paelius and Quarian haven’t had much to do with each other until now. What changed?”

“He smells like Danuva,” Sandolin shrugged. “It’s like he is Danuva, but with a little extra spice, a little more danger.”

“Sir Sandolin!” Paelius called suddenly.

Sandolin stood up and hurried to his prince’s side.

“My Prince?”

“Walk with me.”

Paelius set off on a path away from the cart and Sandolin fell in step with him, his armour clanking quietly.

“When we reach Te Hara pei Arudan, Quarian will require the use of your sword. You will let him have it,” Paelius said when they were a distance away from the group.

“Yes my Prince,” Sandolin bowed to hide his scowl.

“You know why I did what I did?”

“We were too close my Prince. I apologise for any issues my passion visited upon you.”

Paelius placed a hand on the knight’s shoulder.

“My father will stand by my decision. Should we survive the day, you will be a wealthy elf, with a title and land.”

“Forgive my forwardness my Prince, but all I ever wanted was to be by your side, as your guard and your love.”

“But that is nothing more than a sweet dream. There are responsibilities I have that would make a life with you an impossibility.”

“And the human? What of him, my Prince?”

Paelius narrowed his eyes.

“Quarian understands that we are lovers and nothing more. For now he will help me save face after the fiasco with Riardin. Should the day come when I require him to step aside, he will do so willingly.”

Sandolin took a deep breath, already regretting the words he was about to speak.

“My Prince, surely Danuva would be a better choice? He is more docile than Quarian-”

“Enough Sandolin. We are done here. Get everyone back in the cart; we will be at the fortress in a few hours.”

Sandolin nodded curtly and headed back to the group.

 

The group stood before the gates of Te Hara pei Arudan, the red stones of the fortress appearing like so many bloodstained bricks in the mid-afternoon light. Standing beside Masia in his wolf form, Danuva could smell smoke on the air. There were scorch marks in the wooden doors that barred their path, but the timbers still appeared strong.

A man stood on the wall over the gate, a bow strung in his hand.

“Who goes there?!” he yelled down.

Paelius nodded slightly and Quarian stepped forward, drawing a quiet whine from Danuva.

“A messenger from Astara! I bring the prince of the elves to parlay!” his brother yelled back.

“And why does the prince not speak for himself?”

“He’s shy!”

The man laughed and Sandolin stepped forward, glaring at Quarian.

“The Prince of the Elves does not lower himself to speak with filth. He will treat with your leader and him alone,” he called.

The man peered down at the group then walked out of sight. A minute later, they heard the sound of a portcullis being raised. The doors to the fortress swung partially open, and a young neko stepped through the gate, dark curly hair hanging around her shoulders.

Danuva felt a low grow slip from his throat, and Masia placed a hand on his shoulders, calming him.

“It’s not Elias,” she said.

The cat-like girl approached slowly, her hands in plain sight. She was trembling visibly and her voice quivered.

“T-the masters will see you. But you will leave your weapons here.”

The stench of fear hung in the air, and Danuva shifted his feet uncomfortably. He took a step toward the girl and Masia grabbed a handful of his fur, holding him back.

The woman pulled her swordbelt off and set it on the floor, followed by Paelius. Sandolin let his green cloak flow around him, revealing he wore no steel on his side.

Removing a dirk from his hip, Quarian tossed the knife on top of Paelius’ sword.

“We’re clean,” he said.

Nodding, the neko led them single file through the gates, motioning for the portcullis to be closed behind them.

They were led into the central courtyard of the fortress, outside the main keep. A woman met them by the stairs leading into the keep, a quartet of guards surrounding her. Danuva noticed Sandolin shrug, as though the number of guards was no problem. A lump appeared on the shoulder of his cloak, looking suspiciously like the hilt of a sword.

“Master, the prisoners-” the neko started.

“Silence!” the woman snapped, striking the neko across the face.

The neko cried out, her calico ears flattening against her skull, and Danuva let out a threatening growl.

“Control your mutt or I’ll have him put down. You are here to parlay. Say what you will say and be done with it.”

Quarian smiled grimly.

“My lady, I bring you the Crown Prince Paelius Serande… to be your prisoner.”

The man grabbed Sandolin’s cloak, throwing the excess fabric over the elf’s head while unsheathing a sword strapped to Sandolin’s back. He kicked Paelius over and held his sword to the prince’s throat.

“Quarian?!” Masia yelped.

Danuva stared at his brother in disbelief.

The leader of the bandits laughed.

“Oh, I like you. I suppose you’ll want money, right?”

Quarian smirked.

“That would be nice. If you’re low on gold, the neko would do nicely too.”

“I’m sure we could work something out,” the woman smiled evilly, taking a step forward.

There was a sudden blinding red flash, and Danuva winced, shutting his eyes. When they opened, the woman was on the ground, her body sliced neatly in half.

I apologise for the wait between chapters. Unfortunately the wait times might be increasing as I settle into a new town and a new job. I'll try to keep getting stories out there. As always your feedback is appreciated.
Copyright © 2019 Cata the Meek; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 9
  • Wow 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, a lot happening in this chapter but still a building suspense for the outcome of the maneuvers used by the two parties. The prince seems to have already expected the imprisonment claims and upped the ante by calling for a new leader to parlay with. Very aggressive in dealing with the arrogance and oppression of a apparently a selfish dictator.

Where is Elias? And what really happened in that attack by the river? Who was the other parties involved?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Wow, a lot happening in this chapter but still a building suspense for the outcome of the maneuvers used by the two parties. The prince seems to have already expected the imprisonment claims and upped the ante by calling for a new leader to parlay with. Very aggressive in dealing with the arrogance and oppression of a apparently a selfish dictator.

Where is Elias? And what really happened in that attack by the river? Who was the other parties involved?

I am planning on a whole story to explain what happened to Elias, and part of it ties in with this story. As a prince, Paelius is trained in diplomacy, though it was never his best subject, as seen in a few other chapters. We'll eventually find out who was able to split a person in half without being seen, but for now, the group seems to have a bit of clean up on their hands.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Lol, cleanup indeed! I believe the negotiations have moved for a more balanced respect for diplomacy and individual rights; I hope so.

Elias’ strong presence from intro to ?abduction? and the mangling of an attacker certainly leave us with huge questions of who and what’s at play. I look forward to the exposure of the such agents of the night and what influences are at play.

This is not my normal genre of interest but you have my attention with the different elements of drama and suspense; an interesting story to unfold here.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The best way to make sure the subterfuge works is not to tell anyone about it - Prince might not be good at diplomacy but he sure is good at other things and found a good partner ❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I little mess? I'm in for the long haul.  This is an addictive story. This is me tonight trying to stay awake to continue to read this story.

Art School Coffee GIF by sarahmaes

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..