Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,019 Words
  • 11,448 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wolf Pack - 15. The Spoils of War

Sandolin could feel the moon’s pull, calling to his wolf. He scrambled to remove his armour, watching several of the surrounding werewolves fall with a cry. His prince seemed unaffected by the moon, not even flinching as the moon’s light touched him.

‘He did it… He found a way to fight the disease…’ the werewolf thought, as his body went through the change.

Even Riardin was affected by the moon, his body rippling as he transformed into a small brown wolf. Sandolin could see the shock in his eyes as he realized the prince had resisted the change.

The wolf Riardin growled at Paelius, gnashing his teeth together. Sandolin stepped toward the wolf, his own growl forming in his throat.

“Do not interrupt Sandolin,” Paelius commanded, and the grey wolf backed off.

Paelius removed his clothes slowly, confidently, before his body, too, rippled. He let out a howl, a challenge to the brown runt before him, and Riardin answered in kind.

“Danuva, tend to Masia now,” Quarian said before assuming his own wolf form.

The two packs mingled, forming a circle around the pack leaders as Danuva hurried toward the fortress gate.

With a sudden snarl, Riardin threw himself at Paelius, and the fight was on.

 

Riardin was fast, but he was sloppy. It was clear to Quarian that neither Riardin nor Paelius had fought in their wolf forms before. It left the advantage slightly in Paelius’ favour, merely because the red wolf was almost a foot taller than the brown.

Quarian split his attention between his lover and his brother. Both were in danger right now and he couldn’t help Paelius. But he could at least prevent any wandering wolves from attacking Danuva while he worked on Masia.

Both Paelius and Riardin tumbled, not knowing how to control their bodies in a fight. Riardin was back on his feet first, lunging for Paelius’ throat. The larger wolf rolled, and Riardin’s teeth closed in around the back of his neck.

Quarian bit back a whine as Paelius cried out in pain, pacing in his spot. The red wolf shook off his assailant, backing away warily.

A bright glow caught Quarian’s attention, and he saw Danuva tending to Masia, his own body trembling as he dealt with the double pressures of the healing and the wolf within him screaming to be let out.

A duel for pack leadership was a primal event, invoking the wolves of both packs. By fighting the change, Quarian worried that Danuva was killing himself. But he also knew that Masia had captured his brother’s heart, and the wolf wouldn’t allow the woman to die.

At that moment, watching his brother fight, Quarian realized Danuva had become a master of wolves in his own way. He was beholden to no pack, or pack leader. Whoever won this duel would not affect him, unless the winner chose to go after the rogue wolf next. And by association, Masia, when she gained a wolf form, would belong to Danuva’s pack.

Another cry brought Quarian’s attention back to the fighting wolves, and he continued watching, praying that Paelius would come out on top.

 

Danuva poured his energy into Masia, feeling faint. He was already weak from Quarian’s healing, and he had to do another healing before he had recovered. But he would not give up. Naia was nowhere to be seen. The werewolf hoped she had escaped.

The noise from the fight roused his wolf, and Danuva fought back the shift. He couldn’t afford to lose control right now.

Pulling back his healing for a split second, Danuva uncorked the will potion and took another drop. He was fast reaching the limit for the tincture. Too much more and it would kill him. But it would be worth it as long as Masia survived.

It wasn’t any easier to fight his wolf; He was too new to the world of lycanthropy. But the healing energies poured from him more fluidly, entering Masia’s body and repairing it.

As he fought the wolf within, he felt something break, sending a backlash through his mind. Intense loneliness filled him, and tears fell from Danuva’s eyes, even as he continued trying to heal the injured human before him.

“Look, this is crazy,” he choked out as he worked on the unconscious human. “But I don’t think I could handle losing you. You need to wake up.”

The smell of vanilla wafted into his nose, subtly growing stronger. Danuva bent his head, pressing his lips into Masia’s. A howl went up from the wolves, but he didn’t look. Without Masia, it didn’t matter to him who won the fight.

He heard a soft gasp, and suddenly lips were pressing back into his. Masia’s eyes stared into his, filled with love and worry.

“Naia? Paelius?” she whispered.

“I don’t know,” the werewolf admitted. “But we’ll find out soon enough.”

 

Paelius crouched, staring at his foe. Neither of them was going to back down.

The red wolf was bleeding from the back of his neck, but the pain from it wasn’t bad. Riardin was worse off, favouring his left hind leg. It should slow him down at least a little.

He waited, the wolf within him biding his time. They were of one mind right now, let the smaller wolf make the first move and meet him when he was committed.

They didn’t have to wait long.

Letting out a snarl, Riardin leapt at Paelius, aiming for the larger wolf’s throat. Paelius ducked under the attack, slamming his head into Riardin’s underbelly. The brown wolf fell aside, crying out as he landed on his injured leg. He rolled back onto his feet before Paelius could reach him, and lunged again.

The red wolf stepped aside. Riardin turned in midair and bit into Paelius’ shoulder, eliciting a yelp from the prince.

Paelius shook the wolf off and charged forward, against the advice of his wolf. Riardin spun aside, his claws raking down Paelius’ side.

Gasping, the wolves faced each other again, Riardin growling. Paelius struggled to catch his breath, and the smaller wolf charged him.

Paelius snapped frantically at the wolf, his teeth clamping dangerously close to Riardin’s throat. Riardin fell back, and the two settled back into an uneasy study of each other.

A plan blossomed in Paelius’ mind as he took in Riardin’s wounded leg, and his wolf huffed in agreement.

Lunging toward Riardin’s left, Paelius watched the smaller wolf spin to counter. As his foot hit the ground, Paelius sprang to the wolf’s right, his teeth tearing into Riardin’s throat.

Clamping down on the wolf in his jaws, Paelius felt bones crack, and warm blood pour into his maw. Shaking the werewolf, he threw the body to the side and howled in victory, a howl that was answered by the surrounding wolves, both friend and stranger.

But there was one wolf who refused to accept the new pack leader.

A black wolf leapt for Paelius’ throat while the prince ceebrated his victory. A grey blur flew out of nowhere and knocked the wolf aside, ripping into his throat with abandon.

Paelius shifted back into his elven form, stumbling slightly from the effort.

“Sandolin, release him.”

The grey wolf obeyed instantly, dropping the dead wolf.

Quarian slammed into Paelius, holding him tight as their bodies connected.

“Are you okay? Did he hurt you anywhere?” the human demanded.

“I am fine Quarian. We’ll speak later,” Paelius said gently.

Nodding, the human backed off, heading to collect Paelius’ clothes.

The victorious pack leader turned to face Riardin’s former pack.

“All of you have been under the leadership of a monster. I pardon you of any crimes you may have committed under his orders. I possess knowledge of a substance that will help you avoid changing forms at the full moon. If you desire it, you may leave here with that knowledge. If you choose to stay, you will be taken for questioning by the Elven kingdom. You will be treated with the same respect you afford to us.”

A wolf shifted, gasping as his body hit the ground. He struggled to stand, and Paelius frowned at the ribs visible on his form.

“Sir, I would like the potion. If I can return to my family, I will pay any price you require.”

Paelius accepted his clothing from Quarian as he spoke to the man.

“There will be no payment necessary. Should you ever need a pack, you will be welcome in mine.”

“Thank you sir,” the man bowed low.

“Quarian, go help Danuva,” Paelius said.

The werewolf nodded and hurried toward his brother. Paelius sighed as he watched the man run. He didn’t know how his father would take the man, but he hoped he would be pleased.

 

A dozen armoured elves poured into the fortress, weapons drawn. Danuva pulled Masia to the side as they entered, an arm wrapped protectively around her.

Shrugging Danuva off, the woman followed the elves, needing to see who had been victorious. Either way, the results of the fight would hurt her.

Through the crowd of naked people and armoured elves, Paelius’ voice rang out.

“Stay your hand! These people are under my protection. The ones you seek are below, in the dungeons.”

Masia’s legs shook, and Danuva caught her as she collapsed.

Then Riardin was dead.

Her heart broke for her brother. He may have been one of the most vile creatures she had ever met, but he had still been family. They had fought together, played together as kids. To lose that was like losing a part of herself.

“If there was any good in him, remember him that way, not as what he became,” Danuva said quietly, sitting beside her in the dirt. “Enough people will remember him as a monster. Keep the memory of his good deeds alive.”

An elf stopped in front of them.

“There is a cat… person that came to us asking for help for a dying woman. Do you know anything about her?” he questioned.

Masia nodded, holding back her tears. She could have a breakdown later. For now, there was work to be done.

“That would be me. As you can see, I am healed now. The prince is more important at this time.”

The elf’s eyes narrowed.

“If you were close to death, how is it you still stand?”

The corner of Masia’s mouth turned up, the best smile she could manage for now.

“My friend has magic fingers,” she said.

More elves swarmed around, and Masia recognised King Arethal among them. The elf questioning them broke off, moving to assist his king.

Masia closed her eyes, taking a fortifying breath. She had no idea what was happening, but she would play her part as needed.

Rough hands cupped her cheek, and she opened her eyes to see Danuva leaning towards her. Their lips met gently, and she felt a rush of energy flood her.

Pulling back, she caught the man as he stumbled.

“What did you do?”

“Tried to dull the pain…” Danuva said tiredly, his eyes drooping.

“No more. You’re exhausted. Let’s get you to a bed, okay?”

“I can’t… need to speak with Paelius... “

Torches began lighting around the courtyard they stood in, reminding Masia just how late it was. She saw the unclothed werewolves being ushered away, all of them in human form.

A figure approached them quietly from the shadows. Straining her eyes, Masia recognised Naia. The two stared at each other, neither knowing what to say.

“I’m glad to see you back,” Masia said finally.

“You’re alive. The elves healed you?”

“Danuva did. I am so sorry about Elias. He was such a sweet man.”

“And I am sorry about your brother as well.”

The courtyard was nearly cleared, soldiers moving here and there on errands. Another soldier approached the trio and bowed stiffly.

“My lady, sir, His Majesty requests your presence in the Great Hall at once. I will take you there now.”

Masia nodded, taking Danuva’s hand.

The man stumbled as they walked, and Masia had him drape his arm over her shoulder, supporting him as they walked. Naia tagged behind, and Masia hoped she would be allowed in the hall with them.

They entered the brightly lit hall with no fanfare, setting the mood as an informal meeting. It made Masia nervous; she had no protocol for this meeting.

The king’s voice carried through the hall.

“Lady Masia, Lord Danuva, please come join us. And bring your friend as well.”

The trio approached a small table, where the king sat with Paelius, Quarian, and Sandolin. Masia courtsied deeply as she neared, bringing Danuva down with her and hoping it would pass for a bow from the man.

“There is no need for decorum here,” the king smiled. “Please, be seated.

“Thank you Your Majesty.”

She helped Danuva into a seat and sat beside him, motioning for Naia to take the seat to her right.

“We will handle a few pleasantries before moving on to more troubling matters. Danuva Karis of the humans, Naia of the nekos, you both have done a great service to the Elven Kingdom on this day. I hereby grant you honorary membership into the knights of the Elves. You will recieve the titles of Lord Danuva Karis, and Lady Naia of Riverbend Manor.”

Twin gasps were heard from the human and the neko. Masia smiled inside. The king had given Naia a good piece of land. The former slave would live well, and be wealty as long as she had good business sense.

“Your Majesty, with your permission, I would take Lady Naia in and teach her the intricacies of owning a manor and Elven Court,” she said.

“You will have much to do yorself, settling your father’s estate. I cannot tell you how sorry I was to hear of his passing. Lord Eratan was a good man, and a good friend. If you believe yourself up to the task of teaching Lady Naia as well as taking care of your own affairs, then as long as she agrees, I see no harm.

“This brings us to our first bit of unpleasantness. Your brother has conspired against my throne. The punishment for that has been dealt out by my son. Nonetheless, my people would not accept you as their future queen if word were to get out of your brother’s treachery. I am afraid that I cannot allow you to marry my son.”

“That is as it should be, Your Majesty. I believe Prince Paelius has taken on a lover who may suit your needs better. I have always, and will always be a friend to the Elven Kingdom. Should you need my aid at any time, you have but to ask.”

“We are most grateful for your understanding, my lady,” the king smiled.

Turning his attention to Sandolin, he continued.

“Sir Sandolin, it has come to my attention that you stand to gain these very halls. However, you are new to a command. I offer you a choice. I will station two hundred soldiers here. You may assume command and retain control of Te Hara pei Arudan and the surrounding villages, to be handed down through your line, or you may take command of Prince Paelius’ personal guard.”

Paelius’ eyes widened, in horror Masia imagined. Having a former lover as Captain of your guard could not be good for business, especially as the crown prince.

“With respect Your Majesty, I would remain here to defend our borders. Prince Paelius should choose someone he trusts as his guard, and given certain events that have happened between him and I, he can not trust me to be impartial in his life.”

“I understand, and applaud you for thinking of your kingdom over your comfort,” King Arethal smiled. “Lord Danuva.”

“Your Majesty?” Danuva said uncertainly.

The king of the elves smiled at the human.

“You took in a strange elf at risk to yourself. Not only that, but you proceeded to care for him in all his needs and went so far as to go to war to keep him safe. The Elven Kingdom owes you a debt. However, were I to give land to a human, my subjects would be rather sore with my decision. I decree that you shall recieve not less than five thousand gold as thanks for aiding my son in his time of need.”

Danuva’s jaw dropped.

“T-thank you, Your Majesty!”

Masia reached under the table and took Danuva’s hand, squeezing it with a small smile. If she had it her way, Danuva would never return to that small hovel by Astara again.

“I am grateful to you for discovering how to make the potion that enables my son to fight the changes of the moon. I would like to pay you on a monthly basis to make more vials.”

The man stared in shock.

“Your Majesty, I merely made sure there was nothing in the potion that would kill. I did not discover it myself.”

“Nonetheless, you are the only person I know who can make it. Please continue to do so.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Paelius, Quarian, I would speak to the two of you privately. The rest of you are dismissed. Go get some rest.”

Masia rose gracefully, curtsying once more befor helping Danuva stand. She led the way out of the hall and was stopped by a guard.

“My Lady, we have prepared chambers for you, if you would follow me.”

Nodding, the woman followed the elf, nearly carrying Danuva beside her.

“Come on, we just need to get to the room,” she whispered to the man.

Danuva straightened wearily, trying his best to stay on his feet. When they reached the room, the man stumbled inside and fell on the bed. He was snoring shortly after.

Masia tucked him under the covers before climbing into bed beside him. The effects of Danuva’s magic were wearing off, and she felt a wave of sadness once again for Riardin. Sleep would not come easy for her.

One more chapter to go! I'm thinking of doing a sequel with Danuva and Masia. If anyone is interested in reading that, please let me know. Of course Paelius and Quarian would appear in such a story.
Copyright © 2019 Cata the Meek; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I would definitely be interested in a sequel with Danuva and Masia.  It should prove quite interesting.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Sequel with Paelius and Quarian too! ❤️❤️❤️
 

Thank  you for not killing Masia - she is an awesome character ❤️

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great story, even though I am not sure I like Paelius very much.  Masia is a lovely person that makes a great match with Danuva.  Sandor seem a bit left out after losing to Quarian.  I hope he finds a better man to love than Paelius.  He deserves better.  Looking ahead to further adventures.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..