Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

BeaStKid

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BeaStkid, Everyone in the Order isn't an Auror.

Thanks Myr!

I never said they were aurors because they were in the Order. I simply said that they worked for the Order and I believe that they were aurors. No connection there....

The BeaStKid

Urgh...To tell you the truth I hated the new book. Ok it wasnt ALL that bad but i still didnt like it that much. All the action in the beginning was a bit to sudden for me. And my god, the amount of deaths in this book is mind boggling. The one I was most surprised at was Hedwig (why kill the owl ;_ ;) . I also dont like the way she handled Malfoy's and Snape's stories. Malfoy wasn't given the kind of comeback I expected (it would have been nice to see a bit more of a redemption for Malfoy). And I liked Snape better when he was mysterious and of unknown allegiance (though I alway believed Snape to be a true follower of Dumbledore and not a traitor lol).

While I was just barely outside the ten hour watermark, I too liked the book. A lot. I must admit that I might not have, had I not been an English major in college. As it is, this book makes me swoon. For instance, I knew almost instantly that Hedwig's death, while continuing much of the rest of the book's "Death of the Innocent's" theme, was also included where it was because Hedwig would have been an incredible nuisance for Rowling to keep track of during the Horcruz search, so she either had to kill her off or show her staying with someone else, probably the Weasleys. And since she wasn't holding back with anyone else, why not an owl?

I already wrote a blog post with my thoughts about some of the things people have mentioned already, but I have to say that Colin Creevy was my favorite character in the books, a lot because I had to hope for his sake that he was gay, or else he'd have had a bit of explaining to do to himself a bit later on in life (he was still Harry Potter's biggest fan, even in book 6, when they'd known each other for four years and Colin would have long began to be...distracted). I was PISSED when I got to his death, to the point I that I stopped reading and went to sleep right after. Especially since he seemed to be included simply so we could see his corpse. He was a Muggleborn, and I don't think he had been at Hogwarts all year, since the Death Eaters kicked out all the Muggleborns when they took over. However, he had one of the DA galleons, so I imagine he showed up when the Cho and the others did, possibly with his brother in tow (who would have been promptly shipped back out).

My second favorite character was Molly Weasley. I knew she had it in her! I mean, she terrified an entire generation of professional troublemakers, none of whom (even Ron, at the end) could be reasonably described as weak either in character or in magical ability. In fact, the opposite was true. Only three people in her household had the nerve to stand up to her in the face, and one of them was a cursebreaker. Ever wonder where Bill got the practice? And then of course there are her older brother's to consider, "The Prewetts" mentioned in books one and five. If Moody had been impressed by their skill, and Hagrid goes as far to call them some of the best wizards of the age, they had to have been good, and it is reasonable to assume Molly isn't a slouch herself. I wasn't sure if she'd survive the experience, but I knew from book 4 that Molly would one day get to curse the crap out of someone. I started writing a fan-fiction once where a pregnant Molly defended her home from a Death Eater aunt, before I knew about her brothers of course. Rowling's version of Molly dueling is of course much more satisfying to read, but I'm happy that I got it right she'd reveal her greatest strength defending Ginny.

Someone else wrote that the major theme to this book could be "second chances." I'm tempted to call it redemption, but I think second chances works better, because it is inclusive of the antics Voldemort got up to as well. I'd wondered why Madame Bones had been killed at the beginning of book 6, and the imperius curse on Thickneese explains it. Obviously, she proved a lot tougher a customer than her successor. The deathly hallows, the second battle of Hogwarts (I was dissappointed the final battle was there, until the second chance theme was pointed out to me, and I realized that though the causalties were higher this time around, it ended on a lot better note than the battle that ended book six), the ghosts, Kreacher, Mrs. Longbottom's solid support of her grandson, even Hermione's snappy reply to Ron's wish for Crookshanks (you know she'd been dying for years to pay that one back) all highlight, not redemption, but the feeling that things do come around again, and you can do better the second time if you take the opportunity.

As much as the book wandered, I almost wish it had been longer, if only so we could find out a little bit more about the minor characters that someone had as their favorite. Can you imagine the scene at Arabella Fig's place, for instance? Though a squib, Rowling said Fig bred cats that, like Crookshanks, were big, magically intelligent, and able to spot deceptions. When they attacked her (for she couldn't have been spared, besides being in the Order she was also a squib and once testified for Harry, neither of which would have gone down well), whoever was sent was probably ran off minus a few strips of skin. I also wish we (alright, I) could have seen Colin fall. I will, in absence of evidence, assume he was killed by Narcissa, who would have been looking for an easy target to prove herself against so that no one would question her presence. Even if she saves Harry, and does what she does for her son's safety only, she's still not exactly a good person. This is the woman that made someone she had no business trusting (and probably did not fully trust) swear an oath that would kill him in order to safeguard her son. The only thing that would have redeemed her fully, in my eyes, would have been Draco in hiding in the room of requirements, with a message for Harry from both her and her sister Andromeda Tonks. The Malfoys in the great hall after the battle was good, but not quite enough for my taste.

Dobby. They were not my fav characters

The Russians were upset about Dobby's appearance in the movie. They said he was modeled after Putin.

I was upset with him because he sounded and acted like Jar Jar Binks.

Aww, I loved Molly!! And the Ron and Hermione Kiss?? It was like, "OMG FINALLY!!"

Momma Weasley would totally scare the crap outta me...

I imagine if my mother was a witch, she would be much the same.... Again, scary thought.

Aww, I loved Molly!! And the Ron and Hermione Kiss?? It was like, "OMG FINALLY!!"

Momma Weasley would totally scare the crap outta me...

I imagine if my mother was a witch, she would be much the same.... Again, scary thought.

Considering the fact that Molly's worst fear was her family dying, it was great to see her defending them...

and yeah...I was beginning to get a little frustrated with the Ron and Hermione thing...I mean we all could see(read) the signs...were they too dumb to see it in each other??? lol

BeaStKid, don't be harsh toards my adorable Hermione. It's not her fault if Ron is dumb enough to ignore her love and snog a pig like lavender. :pissed: And it's supposedly a boy who has to come to a girl. But Hermione was so tired that she finally came herself and kissed him. :lmao:

If you haven't realised it till now, I'm a HERMIONE FAN!!! So beware, enemies of Hermione! :sword:

Ieshwar

BeaStKid, don't be harsh toards my adorable Hermione. It's not her fault if Ron is dumb enough to ignore her love and snog a pig like lavender. :pissed: And it's supposedly a boy who has to come to a girl. But Hermione was so tired that she finally came herself and kissed him. :lmao:

If you haven't realised it till now, I'm a HERMIONE FAN!!! So beware, enemies of Hermione! :sword:

Ieshwar

Roflmao...dude, I am also an ardent Hermione fan...so....lol...I just said that both of them were giving hints, yet they never took the next step.

And who says BOYS have to make the first step....Cho was practically drooling (okay not drooling) over Harry!!!

The BeaStKid

I read this very interesting review by I forgot who (critics' names aren't remembered...haha). He told of recieving death threats in response to his negative review of the seventh book. He was most moved and amused by a letter from his 10-year-olf niece calling the review a "pile of rubbish." He responded to her by saying

"there are two kinds of muggles: a.. The insufferable kind that never believed in magic and would never have understood the Harry Potter phenomenon. I think of myself as the other kind, b.. The kind that once believed in magic, the magic of reading, at a young age as well, and want only a better book for today's young readers to be entranced by."

His main criticism was there was too much "come on" and "let's go," and not enough of Rowling's better character developments and imaginitive creativity.

----anyway (there really isn't much in the way of spoilers, depending on how picky you are)

I have been very pleased throughout the series with one Rowling character in particular: Dumbledore! He is given a deeply fascinating literary relationship with death and power. The seventh book was more than the icing on the cake for Dumbledore, it was the cornerstone (ironically but appropriately, after his death). Everything, from his eccentric, inquisitive nature, to his intercourse with the Mirror of Erised, to his refusal to be Minister of Magic, to his relationship with young Tom Riddle, became wonderfully resonant. "Death is but the next great adventure." "Again, Voldemort fails to acknowledge that there are worse ways to hurt a man than to merely kill him." I hope Potter readers take these Rowling gems with them to the grave.

As for all the fighting and death and sacrifice...

I am SICK of "sacrifice." The real reason why the Battle at Hogwarts really irked me this time around is because of an idea I recently developed (oddly enough, as a new way of conscientiously objecting to the draft now that it looks like Don't Ask will be repealed) a pacifist philosophy effective not only against President Moron's dumbass war but against noble struggles like World War II. It is, people are free until death. As a responsible person, I will use my freedoms in responsible ways (ie not breaking good laws and NEVER BEING VIOLENT) and hope you will too. I will not fight in any organized struggle to preserve this country or government because I will instead fearlessly face death and punishment if a military government takes over and tries to restrict my freedom. In other words, if I write an essay and a bad government wants to stop me from publishing it, I will try to publish it and never fear arrest or execution.

So, I just can't help but think it's dumb for all these wizards to have arbitrarily been born with power, and then having to just sacrifice sacrifice sacrifice because one dumbass member of their community decides to abuse the power. To me, it's just not a very advanced way of looking at good and evil.

And as for the gay undertones mentioned by some other posters...

I have a completely unproveable suspicion about JK Rowling. I think she's slightly (harmlessly?) homophobic, just by looking at some of her views reflected in her writing. First, she feigns bemusement when referring to obsessive fans (and really, it must be quite amusing to see some of your silly little brainchildren suddenly on everybody's shoulders). But I think she is disturbed by the idea of slash fiction, and would never say it publicly.

Secondly and more importantly, the roots of homophobia are in her completely NOT-MODERN way of portraying love, romantic relationships, and families. There's no edge to her way of portraying teenage sexuality, and no realism in her way of portraying adult sexuality. Snape (though it was creative what she did with him) and his lifelong love for Lily Potter belong in the 13th century. And all her dating teens seem to belong in a mediocre 70s high school movie. There's rivalries and jealousy and breakups, but it's all thorougly well-traveled territory. The uncertainties and frankness that would be required for a gay-friendly Harry Potter are nowhere to be found in that book.

Again, I'm not saying that Rowling's homophobic and I certainly can't prove it. But please don't delude yourselves into thinking Rowling's Hogwarts is a gay-friendly place. You'll only find that in slash fiction.

Edited by tesIII

I doubt she reads the fanfics. With over 200,000 HP stories on FF alone, someone was bound to hit real plot points. Many people have predicted Snapes unending love of Lily Evans Potter, for example.

Though, there was a few times where I thought she might be nodding to the fanfic folks. The line about Snape after he jumped out the window: "With a tingle of horror, Harry saw in the distance a huge, batlike shape flying through the darkness towards the perimeter wall." I'm pretty sure she described Snape as batlike in the first book, but the fanfic authors have run away with it.

2 outstanding questions have come to mind:

1) Does the Sorting Hat summon the Sword of Gryffindor from wherever it is? Or did Griphook bring the thing back to Hogwarts (which seems HIGHLY unlikely after the description we were given of Goblins motivations.)

2) We know from book two that Colin Creevey's father is a milkman, and it says he's Muggleborn, as he was a victim of the Heir of Slytherin. If he really is Muggleborn, how did he end up at Hogwarts for this book? Or did I miss something. I thought they stopped anyone without direct proof of wizard relation from going to Hogwarts or anyplace else, for that matter. Does this mean Creevey is a Half-Blood?

JK Rowling answered both of your question a couple of days ago. ^^ In case you didn't read her live chat, I'll answer the questions.

1. A True Gryffindor can summon the sword out of the hat. He is the current "owner" of it, just like Harry was before him.

2. Colin was kicked out of Hogwarts. He got to the castle through the Room of Requirement like the rest of the DA(remember they had the coins to communicate, and he was a member).

I loved the book! It was great. The only thing I didn't like was the kids names "Albus Severus", poor kid, and "Scorpius". They are too silly. But I loved the rest, so I'll manage to get over those names. I read the whole thing in two days. Damn work made me have to stop reading in the middle!

My favourite part in the book where the scene where Harry whispered "I'm about to die." to the snitch. That broke my heart! My second favourite is Molly's fight and her line "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!". JK Rowling really outdid herself in writing this book.

The big problem I kept thinking about when I was reading the book was "How the hell are they going to make a movie out of this?". Seriously, every page is important, so they won't be able to cut out very much unless they'll want to ruin it. They couldn't even get The Order of the Phoenix right as a movie, so I'm scared to think about how The Deathly Hallows will turn out as a movie.

2 outstanding questions have come to mind:

1) Does the Sorting Hat summon the Sword of Gryffindor from wherever it is? Or did Griphook bring the thing back to Hogwarts (which seems HIGHLY unlikely after the description we were given of Goblins motivations.)

2) We know from book two that Colin Creevey's father is a milkman, and it says he's Muggleborn, as he was a victim of the Heir of Slytherin. If he really is Muggleborn, how did he end up at Hogwarts for this book? Or did I miss something. I thought they stopped anyone without direct proof of wizard relation from going to Hogwarts or anyplace else, for that matter. Does this mean Creevey is a Half-Blood?

1) Apparentally. I'm wondering though, if someone was actually holding it and a Gryffindor needed it, would it just disappear out of their hands?

2) I think this was an ongoing process. That was what Umbridge was doing as part of her job. So I think it's possible that he was a muggle-born who they just hadn't gotten to yet.

2. Colin was kicked out of Hogwarts. He got to the castle through the Room of Requirement like the rest of the DA(remember they had the coins to communicate, and he was a member).

He was still allowed to go to school there, he was in the great hall and McGonagall kicked him out.

Edited by Matthew

Colin was in the great hall... but that was after a load of DA members had turned up, so chances are he wasn't in the school to begin with and if he was then he will have spent most of the time hiding in the Room of Requirement.

Also, is there any chance that someone could post a list of the deaths in this book? I forgot about some of them (like Colin) and I can't look through the book now because when I finished reading it it had barely shut when my dad grabbed hold of it and I haven't seen it since :P

One thing I would like to see is someone write a fan-fic about the events at Hogwarts while Harry, Ron and Hermione were off finding Horcruxes... after all, Neville was leading a full geurilla war against snape and the Death Eaters there :P

Again, I'm not saying that Rowling's homophobic and I certainly can't prove it. But please don't delude yourselves into thinking Rowling's Hogwarts is a gay-friendly place. You'll only find that in slash fiction.

Since no one else brought this up, I feel obligated to quote Harry's reply when Hermione asks him how Ron looks:

"Well, he's not my type, but he'll do."

-- Raro

While quoting the deaths...Here's a list of the horcruxes...

1. Tom Riddle himself.

2. The Diary.

3. The Cup of Helga Huflepuff.

4. The Ring of Marvolo Gaunt.

5. The Diadem of Rowena Ravenclaw.

6. Nagini.

7. Harry Potter.

8. The Locket of Salazar Slytherin.

(Do I see a Huge Mistake here made by Rowling??? 7 not 8 horcruxes??)

Deaths--

Hedwig

Alastor Moody

Fred Weasly

Peter Pettegrew

Colin Creevey

Bellatrix Lestrange.

Ollivander

Gellert Grindelwald.

That's all I can remember right now...please update the list as you remember them...

(Do I see a Huge Mistake here made by Rowling??? 7 not 8 horcruxes??)

Why do you think Tom Riddle's a horcrux? I saw nothing to indicate that, and I think that contradicts what a horcrux is.

I think it's very interesting that each horcrux was destroyed by a different person, respectively:

1. (I don't think this is a horcrux)

2. Harry

3. Hermione

4. Dumbledore

5. Goyle (or was it Crabb?)

6. Neville

7. Voldemort

8. Ron

As for deaths, how could you forget Dobby? I think that was the most significant in the book (in the number of pages talking about it, and him being buried). Also, Severus Snape, Lupin, Tonks, Voldemort, Nagini, and I'm sure there's more.

Why do you think Tom Riddle's a horcrux? I saw nothing to indicate that, and I think that contradicts what a horcrux is.

I think it's very interesting that each horcrux was destroyed by a different person, respectively:

1. (I don't think this is a horcrux)

2. Harry

3. Hermione

4. Dumbledore

5. Goyle (or was it Crabb?)

6. Neville

7. Voldemort

8. Ron

As for deaths, how could you forget Dobby? I think that was the most significant in the book (in the number of pages talking about it, and him being buried). Also, Severus Snape, Lupin, Tonks, Voldemort, Nagini, and I'm sure there's more.

Tom Riddle had decided to create 7 parts of his soul which essentially meant that he would be making 6 horcruxes and not 7...maybe I misinterpreted it, but didn't he ask Slughorn that 7 is the most magical number?? and if he indeed created 7 horcruxes, it makes 8 fragments of his soul....

The BeaStKid

P.S

I wrote that list of dead at 4 in the morning...lol...

He meant to make 6 Horcruxes (which plus the part of his soul still in his "body", would make 7 parts). The fact that a part of his soul went into Harry was something unplanned and even unknown to Riddle.

JK Rowling did a post-DH interview where she answered a bunch of the questions posed here. You can find it at mugglenet.

Some points she clarified:

Colin Creevey, like others with muggle parentage was in hiding until he felt his DA coin heat up with the new message. Like many others, he returned to the school and was part of the massive group that went down to the Great Hall. McGonagall tried to send him back, but he stayed (as a Gryffindor is likely to do), and he died in the battle.

Voldemort intended to split his shoul seven ways (six horcruxes plus himself). When he attacked Harry that first time, after killing Lily and James, he accidentally made a new Horcrux. He did not know Harry was a horcrux, and so when he killed Harry, he killed the Horcrux (I think about it like this: Avada Kedavra kills without leaving a mark, so maybe what it really strikes is NOT so much the body as the SOUL of the person. Thus, Harry was able to go back to his body because only ONE Avada Kedavra was cast, and only ONE soul had to be taken by the spell. That soul ended up being the Horcrux soul of Voldemort, allowing Harry to return - oh and Harry is no longer a parselmouth according to JKR). Thus, Voldemort had unwittingly split his soul into eight parts, not seven.

Dolohov killed Lupin

Bellatrix killed Tonks

Crabbe started the fire which destroyed the diadem (and killed himself in the process).

1) Just like Harry was able to summon the sword in Chamber of Secrets via the sorting hat, my view was that was exactly what Neville did as well.

Okay that is the first reasonable explanation for the sword's sudden appearance at the end. It might have been nice if that had been explained at some point in the chapter because I was seriously surprised.

Am I the only one who wishes that she had omitted the epilogue? Among other things it reduces Harry to a boring suburbanite. :blink: