Ahmadinejad's Gay Denial Must Occasion Caution

Ahmadinejad's Gay Denial Must Occasion Caution

http://www.campaigniran.org/casmii/index.php?q=node/3043

Following the recent trip of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the US and his remarks at Columbia University where he denied the existence of homosexuals in Iran, the issue of Iranian gays is now in international public view.

Whether this newly gained global visibility marks a step in favor of improving the situation of gays in Iran or leads to a deepening of their plight has as much to do with internal Iranian society as with the actions of the international community. There are dangers and possibilities in this incredible turn of events that Western gay activists have to consider carefully.

[...]

--------------

Agreeing whole-heartedly!!

The Beastkid

Following the recent trip of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the US and his remarks at Columbia University where he denied the existence of homosexuals in Iran, the issue of Iranian gays is now in international public view.

Whether this newly gained global visibility marks a step in favor of improving the situation of gays in Iran or leads to a deepening of their plight has as much to do with internal Iranian society as with the actions of the international community. There are dangers and possibilities in this incredible turn of events that Western gay activists have to consider carefully.

[...]

--------------

Agreeing whole-heartedly!!

The Beastkid

Caution? what shut-up and be quiet? no way! Iranian society didn't wait for the rest of the world attention to repress their gay population , neither are they short of the usual religious or legal crap that others worldwide could provide . I say that now that we do get worldwide attention on gay issues then go for it . A point was raised in the article that some parties may use this issue may in addition to other much more serious issues may tip the balance in favor of military action against Iran . I think this is absolutely ludicrous and simply a devious way of gaging gay issues. Any events can or could be used by any organisations to advance their agenda anyhow so the argument that speaking up on gay issues and in particular Iranian gay issues doesn't hold. It is true that Iranian gay people are likely to suffer for it , but the alternative is worse , we are barely past religious inquisition and it is not a road that anyone want to reopen ; the best way to reopen that road would be to shut-up and hide.

ixyam

Edited by ixyam
Caution? what shut-up and be quiet? no way! Iranian society didn't wait for the rest of the world attention to repress their gay population , neither are they short of the usual religious or legal crap that others worldwide could provide . I say that now that we do get worldwide attention on gay issues then go for it . A point was raised in the article that some parties may use this issue may in addition to other much more serious issues may tip the balance in favor of military action against Iran . I think this is absolutely ludicrous and simply a devious way of gaging gay issues. Any events can or could be used by any organisations to advance their agenda anyhow so the argument that speaking up on gay issues and in particular Iranian gay issues doesn't hold. It is true that Iranian gay people are likely to suffer for it , but the alternative is worse , we are barely past religious inquisition and it is not a road that anyone want to reopen ; the best way to reopen that road would be to shut-up and hide.

ixyam

While I mostly agree with you, I think it's worth keeping in mind that this is a very complicated situation and it's very difficult to predict how things will go. I read an article recently about a gay Iranian who'd fled to England to escape the oppressive nature of his homeland with regards to sexuality. However, in the article he was explicit that if there was a war with Iran he would return to his motherland and fight to defend them.

Anyway, the point is it's a delicate matter and we may very well end up alienating the Iranian gay population themselves. Also, I would be concerned that there will be a deadly backlash involved for many of these people as a result of the increased attention it's getting. Sure it's easy for us to say something like, "well it's for the ultimate good and it's the only way things will change", but we're not the ones who could get beaten or killed.

Anyway, I do agree with you. It's just not a black-and-white matter.

-Kevin

In a dictatorship such as the one Iran has, it is better to be cautioned than not to exist altogether!!

We, in India are cautioned as well. I hope y'all get what I'm trying to say. When everyone around you is against/conservative, it is best to keep shut. Otherwise things may get ugly, and they have in a number of cases.

Even though I agree with both of you, but somewhere down the line, the western countries are a bit more 'open' than most of the Asian and African countries towards homosexuality.

The Beastkid

While I mostly agree with you, I think it's worth keeping in mind that this is a very complicated situation and it's very difficult to predict how things will go. I read an article recently about a gay Iranian who'd fled to England to escape the oppressive nature of his homeland with regards to sexuality. However, in the article he was explicit that if there was a war with Iran he would return to his motherland and fight to defend them.

Anyway, the point is it's a delicate matter and we may very well end up alienating the Iranian gay population themselves. Also, I would be concerned that there will be a deadly backlash involved for many of these people as a result of the increased attention it's getting. Sure it's easy for us to say something like, "well it's for the ultimate good and it's the only way things will change", but we're not the ones who could get beaten or killed.

Anyway, I do agree with you. It's just not a black-and-white matter.

-Kevin

I can see your point , the gay Iranian person you are referring to is basically a Patriot . I am pretty sure that most Americans are against torture or whatever euphemisms in use today , despite being in total disaccord with the government it would be safe to say that most Americans are patriots and would defend their country to the death regardless. The notable difference is that nobody has to flee America for safety because they express their views or belong to a minority group. This difference is something that all Americans can be proud of . I would be the first to applaud Iranians if that was the case but sadly it's not the case. We used to go to school in military convoy during conflicts in the middle east , so I can appreciate how complex a situation can be and how terrifying it is to be in constant danger , nobody ever asked us what we felt about it . You would be probably correct if you think that I could be biased because of past events .Btw International pressure is the way to go about getting changes in attitude and evolving as a society not war .

Ixyam

In a dictatorship such as the one Iran has, it is better to be cautioned than not to exist altogether!!

We, in India are cautioned as well. I hope y'all get what I'm trying to say. When everyone around you is against/conservative, it is best to keep shut. Otherwise things may get ugly, and they have in a number of cases.

It definitely sounds like we're on the same page about this! :hug: Sorry things are rough for you, Beasty :( I hope things improve soon in India with regards to acceptance (and I know with you around they will ;) ).

Btw International pressure is the way to go about getting changes in attitude and evolving as a society not war .

I most definitely agree with you here! :D

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

It definitely sounds like we're on the same page about this! :hug: Sorry things are rough for you, Beasty :( I hope things improve soon in India with regards to acceptance (and I know with you around they will ;) ).

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

Yeah...

For more on how it is here, refer to my post in the Prince at Oprah thread....