Global Attitude towards homosexuality 2007

BeaStKid

Global Attitudes towards homosexuality 2007

http://dantoujours.blogspot.com/2007/10/gl...osexuality.html

http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/258.pdf

Many of the patterns regarding views about religion and morality also characterize opinions about homosexuality. In Western Europe, clear majorities say homosexuality is a way of life that should be accepted by society. Among Eastern Europeans, however, opinions are more diverse: Czechs and Slovaks strongly believe homosexuality should be accepted, while Poles and Bulgarians are closely divided on this issue, and Russians and Ukrainians tend to oppose acceptance.

[...]

BeaStKid

Yay for the one percent of Egyptians (immigrants?) who think homosexuality should be accepted. I'm actually surprised by some of the high figures in South America.

Menzo

PS

Bummer about the mid-east though. They have such reputation for being tolerant people, hmm.

Well no surprise there really, thats what I assumed it would be like, though I would have thought from the amount of Yaoi in Japan that they word have been more accepting :lol:

Im really not surprised by Africa, while I was doing charity work in Kenya I had to sit through a 2 hour church service about how everyone is a sinner and we're all going to burn in hell, espicialy the gays

Well, that there's no 0%!!! :P

I'm surprised by US! Just about 50%? I'm...bummed!

Yay for South America. They're quite religious over theer yet higher than I expected!

And a bigger YAY for western Europe. I never knew Sweden was so tolerant! Wow!

But as it was said on the blog, the newer generation are much more intelligent and hence, more accepting. Good, isn't it?

Ieshwar

Yay for South America. They're quite religious over theer yet higher than I expected!

But as it was said on the blog, the newer generation are much more intelligent and hence, more accepting. Good, isn't it?

Ieshwar

B) ......Actually I was kinda surprised by Israel, but then I remembered that a lot of Israels are arabic. The US close to 50%, well it is getting better, try this survey again in ten years when the younger generation offers its opinion and I bet that number will rise to 70%.

I'm mildly surprised that Germany is as accepting as that survey suggests. I've always considered Germans to be hard-headded (look at me!), not to mention that gays were even lower than Jews during WWII.

I'm not surprised that Latin America is the way it is. Yes they are very religious, but consider this: the Mexican constitution of 1917 almost bans religion from the country. Each state can limit the number of priests within it (some went to zero), a church must be approved by the government before it can be built, no mass can be held outside of church (changed in 1976 to allow the Pope John Paul II to hold a mass outside in Mexico), priests must register with the state and must be native born, marriage is a civil ceremony, etc.

Yes, I actually paid attention in my Mexican History class :P

Well no surprise there really, thats what I assumed it would be like, though I would have thought from the amount of Yaoi in Japan that they word have been more accepting :lol:

haha, my thoughts exactly XD

but then look at how it looks compared to other asian countries. it does stand out visibly after all.

i'm really surprised bu the US outcome, though. i'd think the level of acceptance is much higher there. i mean, it's only a few percentage points higher than poland! (which has a homophobe for a president :/ )

the results for western europe are really sweet ^_^

those for africa are downright scary O_o

what is sad is the fact that overall there is more blue than yellow on the chart :/

i hope it will change sooner rather than later...

• Site Administrator
I'm mildly surprised that Germany is as accepting as that survey suggests. I've always considered Germans to be hard-headded (look at me!), not to mention that gays were even lower than Jews during WWII.

I went to the PDF report because I want to find the figures for Australia. All I discovered was that Australian and New Zealand don't appear to count :(

In the report itself, there was more details:

An Age Gap on Religion, Homosexuality

Throughout North and South America and Europe, there is a consistent age gap on views about religion and homosexuality. In each country from these regions, people under age 40 are less likely than those age 40 and over to think a belief in God is necessary for morality, and more likely to believe that society should accept homosexuality.

In some cases, the gap between young and old is quite large. For example, nearly half (45%) of Germans age 40 or older think a person must believe in God to

be moral, compared to only 23% of those under 40. And while 54% of younger Bulgarians think homosexuality should be accepted, only 31% of older Bulgarians

agree.

I checked the age breakup on homosexuality for Germany for you. The 18-39 age range has an acceptance percentage of 91% while the 40+ age range had 76%.

In all of the countries they listed (they didn't list all, but they listed most American and European countries) EVERY country had a more accepting younger generation than older generation.

Graeme :)

I went to the PDF report because I want to find the figures for Australia. All I discovered was that Australian and New Zealand don't appear to count :(

In the report itself, there was more details:

I checked the age breakup on homosexuality for Germany for you. The 18-39 age range has an acceptance percentage of 91% while the 40+ age range had 76%.

In all of the countries they listed (they didn't list all, but they listed most American and European countries) EVERY country had a more accepting younger generation than older generation.

Graeme :)

B) .............Ah, more light at the end of a long tunnel!!

Ye, why doesn't Australia count? That sucks.

Israel is smaller than tasmania and Aus is deemed insignificant?... Australia is freakin' huge. Just cos we're down-under doesn't mean we suck (O hell, I really didn't intend for that to be a pun but now that its there I can't bring myself to delete it.)

Edited by writeincode

Well, I didn't even look if Mauritius is in the list... We are down too but we're so small. The only country that I know is smaller than us is Singapore!

Ieshwar

B) .........I guess we will never know if there was a poll taken for all those not-on-list countries.

• Site Administrator
B) .........I guess we will never know if there was a poll taken for all those not-on-list countries.

In the report they listed each country and the number of people interviewed. For most places it was around 700-800 people, with some of the larger countries going as high as 3000. I'm pretty sure the just didn't interview people in the other countries. That's probably a convenience thing -- they used interviewers where they had them, but didn't fly them to other countries.

As for countries smaller than Mauritius... besides Singapore, theirs Lichtenstein and Vatican City. Depending on how you count size (eg. if you use landmass, rather than area covered), there's probably one or two South Pacific nations that also qualify as smaller.

Yeah Western Europeans and Scandinavians in particular rock!

Ye, why doesn't Australia count? That sucks.

Israel is smaller than tasmania and Aus is deemed insignificant?... Australia is freakin' huge. Just cos we're down-under doesn't mean we suck (O hell, I really didn't intend for that to be a pun but now that its there I can't bring myself to delete it.)

:lol:

My only issue with things like this, is there's a difference between what people SAY they would do, and what they actually do. They might just want to come off as more tolerant than they actually are...

Perhaps that's just the cynical Ben coming out....

Ieshwar

Yeah, but it makes sense. Religion is very, very small in Sweden, especially people who are "active" in their religion(like go to church, read the bible etc etc). It's almost considered more strange being a christian than being gay here(we accept both, but being Christian is more uncommon). And not accepting someone who's gay is considered a very strange thing and not OK.

Makes me damn proud to be Swedish when I see those high numbers. ^^ Of course, there should be a 100% acceptance, but 91% is kinda awesome when compared to the rest of the world.

Yeah, but it makes sense. Religion is very, very small in Sweden, especially people who are "active" in their religion(like go to church, read the bible etc etc). It's almost considered more strange being a christian than being gay here(we accept both, but being Christian is more uncommon). And not accepting someone who's gay is considered a very strange thing and not OK.

Makes me damn proud to be Swedish when I see those high numbers. ^^ Of course, there should be a 100% acceptance, but 91% is kinda awesome when compared to the rest of the world.

*sigh* Are you guys taking immigrants? :P:boy:

*sigh* Are you guys taking immigrants? :P:boy:

We are, but a lot of people don't like it. >_< The city I live in have like 35% immigrants, so I'd say we do take a lot of immigrants. Another city called Malm

Edited by Pai-chan