Sexual orientation hard-wired in the brain?

BeaStKid

Gene switch altered sex orientation of worms

Link

Altering a gene in the brain of female worms changed their sexual orientation, U.S. researchers said on Thursday, making female worms attracted to other females.

The study reinforces the notion that sexual orientation is hard-wired in the brain, said Erik Jorgensen, scientific director of the Brain Institute at the University of Utah.

[...]

BeaStKid

This a very interesting find indeed. I had always believed that orientation was determined by the size of the sex driving within the brain, but I had never considered the possibility of genes playing a part it this. However, as the article state, the worm brain is very complex and is in fact different from our own. Unless they can reproduce these results using rodent subjects, I'll continue to be skeptical.

Either way, in your face religion!

Don't get too excited.

In science, to prove or discover something, especially something controversial, you have to build a mountain of data until the conclusion is incontrovertible.

An analogy: this discovery is a cinder block. A comprehensive theory is the house we want to build.