Message Board Topic 1/14

Comsie

They may sometimes seem short, or may appear extremely simple and uncomplicated in their plot...but there's something about knowing that the story you're currently reading is 'true' that carry's a powerful attachment with it sometimes.

Maybe it's all a mind trick that makes your visualization of the story work, but I've talked to a lot of people who are turned on much MORE by true stories than fictionalized ones. Even when the story is nothing more than a sleepover where one boy says, "Can I suck you?" and the other one says, "Sure." Hehehe, what can I say? It happens. Daily, in fact.

What is your take on 'true' stories? Do they do something 'extra' for you, knowing that the events really happened (supposedly)? Or would you rather have a well crafted fantasy instead? And if you told a true story of your own, do you think other people would enjoy it?

Let us know! :)

True stories, happy ones & fantastic ones, is one of my favorite genres.

I just don't like reading true stories in which I don't know what happens at the end. Coz there's one thing I can't stand - true stories which end sadly. :( It just reminds me too much of how imperfect this world really is. That doesn't mean I avoid them. But they do make me sad and wish I'd never read them

But I can still say true stories certainly have a different sort of appeal than fiction. (it's why we love blogs, ^^)

• Site Administrator

Reading stories is, for a lot of people, an exercise in an assisted fantasy. We like to imagine we're there with the characters. When we know the story is real, it adds to that fantasy, because it adds a strong "and this could happen to me" element. It also helps the suspension of disbelief that is required when reading, because you know that it's true and it doesn't matter how unlikely something is -- it actually happened!