Boy Scouts Strike again

scoopny

But what do laws have to do with attitudes? How are laws going to change the squeamish attitudes so many people have about sex? And yes, the discomfort of the majority is even worse when it comes to same-gender or Gay sex?

If the perception of sex as the "bogey man" were replaced by openmindedness and understanding this problem would not exist.

Here is an example. Rape is still rape. By what right does anyone have to force sex on another?

But consensual sex between those of the same gender is viewed as being sordid and depraved despite evidence of it's occurrence as soon as man first learned to walk upright and maybe even before.

How does consensual sex between males constitute a "danger to the community"?

I've always known about this discrimination... it's kind of sad.

At the same time, the most hardcore Boy Scouts I know are all rampant homos... so that's a little interesting to think about.

I remember getting the flyers when I was in elementary school, and always wanting to join. But at the time I lived out in the middle of nowhere, and it would have been hard for my parents to take me in to the meetings...

I'm probably better off from the looks of it.

in the states, you guys really needs to pass a law that stop discrimination in work place based on sexual orientation, a little like we have here in canada

I could be wrong, but aren't we in the process of doing just that right now, with ENDA?

My son likes scouts for the outdoor skills. I haven't found any other program that even comes close. What I would like to see though, is scouting (or some alternitive) to be a bit more inclusive and accessable to all -- from what I've seen it's 90% white boys from 2 parent households where the (step)father is active in their life. That describes less than a quarter of the actual population (just a guess so it's probably less). Single mothers who want to have their boys experience scouts are driven out of the program by the time their sons reach "boy scout" age (11), although mothers are generally the backbone of the cub program.

I strongly agree with this statement and sentiment! Organizations like boy scouts have no more business being all white, than they do being all straight.

We pay our own way. Unfortunately that means some of that money is spent to support the bigots in charge. But what other alternitives are there out there?

Well, I suppose someone could start a grassroots scout group that isn't so exclusive with regard to sexuality, race, and religion.

I hope that they don't kick you out. I can understand why they might not wanting you discussing it with the troops, but they take it to an extreme if they find out for any reason at all. I don't understand why they are so closed-minded. Once again, I'm reminded why we need more anti-discrimination laws in the United States.

You can?! :angry:

Personally, I think kids need to be more exposed to gay people and gay issues, just as they need to be exposed to a wide array of racial, religious, and economically different groups of people. Tolerance and equality tends to start with the youngest generation and move backward. It's important that kids have positive experiences and perceptions of minorities when they're young so that when they're older they won't go around thinking you have to be an upper middle-class (or higher), straight, white Christian, to be an acceptable human being.

At the same time, the most hardcore Boy Scouts I know are all rampant homos... so that's a little interesting to think about.

Yes, unfortunately in many cases the least well-adjusted homosexuals seem to seek out institutions in which they feel they can "hide". :(

Just my thoughts,

Kevin

I could be wrong, but aren't we in the process of doing just that right now, with ENDA?

Personally, I think kids need to be more exposed to gay people and gay issues, just as they need to be exposed to a wide array of racial, religious, and economically different groups of people. Tolerance and equality tends to start with the youngest generation and move backward. It's important that kids have positive experiences and perceptions of minorities when they're young so that when they're older they won't go around thinking you have to be an upper middle-class (or higher), straight, white Christian, to be an acceptable human being.

Yes, unfortunately in many cases the least well-adjusted homosexuals seem to seek out institutions in which they feel they can "hide". :(

Just my thoughts,

Kevin

From what I know, ya the ENDA would be doing exactly that. but it has still to be voted. It won't happen soon, at least not with a republican as president (I'll leave the politics in the politic discussion). the only thing that wouldn't be included in that would be position in religious organizatons.

I agree, younger guys/girls needs to be shown to gay issue, the younger they're exposed to it,, (in a good way, not in a they're-all-bad case) the more tolerant they will be growing up.