Hulu has Hardy Boys Show Coming

I watched the whole first season on YTV... it's replaying again now. I read every book as a kid, and found the show entertaining, but Joe is played by someone younger than I expected. Frank seemed about right. :) 

• Like 4

The ORIGINAL Hardy Boys were fifteen and sixteen.  When the books were rewritten in the very late 1950s and 1960s, their ages were changed to 17 and 18 to fit with some of the then-current ideas of what types of situations the guys would be getting into.

I when I was six years old, my mother and older brother loved to go to auctions.  If Grandma was not available to watch me, I had to go with them.  At one auction, Mom bought a big box of books for a quarter that had 25 of the original Hardy Boys series, a few Nancy Drew, about 4 Bobbsey Twins books, about 35 Zane Grey westerns, some Louis L'Amour, and a few other assorted books.  Dad and I had fun reading a bunch of the books, although I did not read any of the westerns except one Lone Ranger novel.

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator

Oh this does look interesting!  I loved the Hardy Boys books growing up. Shaun Cassidy was my first true love :wub:  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Headstall said:

I watched the whole first season on YTV... it's replaying again now. I read every book as a kid, and found the show entertaining, but Joe is played by someone younger than I expected. Frank seemed about right. :) 

Doing some research, Alexander Elliot, who plays Joe Hardy, has to be at least fifteen, bur probably not more than twenty.  He wrote his own bio on IMDB dot com.

@Valkyrie said "Oh this does look interesting!  I loved the Hardy Boys books growing up. Shaun Cassidy was my first true love."  I agree -- this does look interesting.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ReaderPaul said:

The ORIGINAL Hardy Boys were fifteen and sixteen.  When the books were rewritten in the very late 1950s and 1960s, their ages were changed to 17 and 18 to fit with some of the then-current ideas of what types of situations the guys would be getting into.

I when I was six years old, my mother and older brother loved to go to auctions.  If Grandma was not available to watch me, I had to go with them.  At one auction, Mom bought a big box of books for a quarter that had 25 of the original Hardy Boys series, a few Nancy Drew, about 4 Bobbsey Twins books, about 35 Zane Grey westerns, some Louis L'Amour, and a few other assorted books.  Dad and I had fun reading a bunch of the books, although I did not read any of the westerns except one Lone Ranger novel.

Yeah, they were 17 and 18 in the ones I had. I'd forgotten about the Bobbsey Twins. :) 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

I was very much into the books when I was younger and collected the first 116 of them. While I have not read them in years... they are still on my bookshelf even if they are tucked into the top up at the 8 ft level...

hardy boys.jpg

(you can also see my teen obsession with Dungeon's & Dragons Forgotten Realms books...)

I'll be definitely checking out this show, especially since it is on Hulu.  One of the streaming services I actually have a subscription for.

• Love 3
  • Wow 1

Fascinating, I'll have to watch it at some point.

I know it might be too early to hope for it, but if the show can progress and age up characters, I'd love to see an onscreen version of Super Mystery series that crossover Nancy Drew (already has a CW series) and the Hardy Boys. My introduction into their universes was reading that series, prior to reading either separately. I know it's a 90's kid thing, but I didn't grow up reading them separately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mystery

Also, the show's trailer gave off a bit of a "Riverdale"-feel, not sure what the actual show is like. I know the Archie's Riverdale group, Nancy Drew group, and Hardy boys group each have massive fan-bases with their own interpretations mystery genre.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, W_L said:

Fascinating, I'll have to watch it at some point.

I know it might be too early to hope for it, but if the show can progress and age up characters, I'd love to see an onscreen version of Super Mystery series that crossover Nancy Drew (already has a CW series) and the Hardy Boys. My introduction into their universes was reading that series, prior to reading either separately. I know it's a 90's kid thing, but I didn't grow up reading them separately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mystery

Also, the show's trailer gave off a bit of a "Riverdale"-feel, not sure what the actual show is like. I know the Archie's Riverdale group, Nancy Drew group, and Hardy boys group each have massive fan-bases with their own interpretations mystery genre.

That would be fascinating indeed.  @W_L,  I have a few of the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Super Mysteries and two Hardy Boys/Tom Swift Ultra Thrillers.

I would like to ask @Myr if you have any of the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys  or Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossovers.  My favorite of those was the one where Frank Hardy married Nancy Drew while Joe Hardy married one of Nancy's best friends, and the four of them went to Egypt for their honeymoon.  However, the wedding and honeymoon were fake, because the four of them were working undercover for the State Department on a mystery.

Lots of possibilities in what has been mentioned so far.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, ReaderPaul said:

That would be fascinating indeed.  @W_L,  I have a few of the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Super Mysteries and two Hardy Boys/Tom Swift Ultra Thrillers.

I would like to ask @Myr if you have any of the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys  or Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossovers.  My favorite of those was the one where Frank Hardy married Nancy Drew while Joe Hardy married one of Nancy's best friends, and the four of them went to Egypt for their honeymoon.  However, the wedding and honeymoon were fake, because the four of them were working undercover for the State Department on a mystery.

I do not. I only had one Nancy Drew Book and for the life of me, I can't figure out what happened to it. I really liked it, so I wouldn't have gotten rid of it.  Unfortunately, it probably got lost in one of my moves.

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

It's been a while, but from memory, my impression was Nancy and Frank had great romantic chemistry. I know they both had other boyfriend and girlfriend in their series, but when I was younger, they were my first ship (even before I knew what shipping was).

@MyrI hope you can find your Nancy Drew book. I never collected the books, I just borrowed them from the public library, whenever I saw they were in stock. I was one of the kid that held these books on the wait list :P

Edited by W_L
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, W_L said:

I hope you can find your Nancy Drew book. I never collected the books, I just borrowed them from the public library, whenever I saw they were in stock. I was one of the kid that held these books on the wait list

Me too and me too.  Mom was huge into used bookstores for her reading, so she was on a mission to pick them up.  Back before Amazon killed all the stores (books and otherwise).  Speaking of Amazon... they have the book I'm missing if I really wanted to pick it up again.

I'm actually more inspired to work on a sort of Psionic Corp Case Files sort of thing that is a sort of pulp fiction sci-fi/mystery sort of thing.  I've been doing world building for both my Sci-Fi and Fantasy worlds with this general concept in mind.  And starting really high level outlines for it.  I'm very strongly inclined to have the world building more or less set at the high level so I don't have to retcon anything. 

I'm sure watching this show will inspire something.  Watching the Alex Rider show sure did. lol.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'll probably skip this one, I think I'm too old to appreciate what they are trying to do here, which is update it for a current audience. I was never a fan of the books growing up so its not that I think the source material shouldn't be remade. I think its more along the lines that I just can't deal with artificial drama and teen angst. Riverdale started off okay, but by the time I reached the first season finale, I had lost all interest. 

I couldn't get into Stranger Things for the same reason. I just can't suspend my belief enough to think that a bunch of kids would react like they do in these YA shows. And for the record, I never really like Harry Potter. Maybe if they would make the kids act/behave like I see other kids behave at that age in my everyday real life, then I could maybe watch them.

The older I get, the less likely I am to watch something that is geared for young adults. And that's okay, I'm not the intended viewer. 

J

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Jason Rimbaud said:

I'll probably skip this one, I think I'm too old to appreciate what they are trying to do here, which is update it for a current audience. I was never a fan of the books growing up so its not that I think the source material shouldn't be remade. I think its more along the lines that I just can't deal with artificial drama and teen angst. Riverdale started off okay, but by the time I reached the first season finale, I had lost all interest. 

I couldn't get into Stranger Things for the same reason. I just can't suspend my belief enough to think that a bunch of kids would react like they do in these YA shows. And for the record, I never really like Harry Potter. Maybe if they would make the kids act/behave like I see other kids behave at that age in my everyday real life, then I could maybe watch them.

The older I get, the less likely I am to watch something that is geared for young adults. And that's okay, I'm not the intended viewer. 

J

Not all YA books are the same, and some deserve a reboot with modern sensibilities.

Personally, I am waiting for them to redo the Animorphs properly for a modern non-Nickelodeon audience. Those books dealt with heavy issues beyond stereotypical teen or kid show. It had family tragedy, war stress, a tragic hero who make horrible choices for the greater good, and ultimately I remembered it for its sheer audacity to kill off characters, including main characters (The slaughter of a bunch of disabled kids was mind-blowing to me, when I read it). Katherine Applegate might have gotten a lot of flack for stuff especially the killing of kids part, but I still remember her books to this day. This was pre-9/11 era, too.

Compared to that, the Nick show that tried to cash in on it, which was just gimmicky animal transformation of the week.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

The show looks interesting, Hulu is very hit or miss for me as far as original shows. I DNF most of the things I sit down and watch though, I think the only recent television series that I've watched from start to finish is, 'Merlin,' and that was years ago and only after it was on streaming and I could sit and binge it. If you make me sit on a premiere schedule, I will 100% DNF the show.. lol I just can't be bothered. So at least these streaming services that put out entire seasons helps me out a bit. There is a long list of highly recommended televisions shows though, that I have only gotten a couple of episodes or a couple of seasons into and then just got tired of it. 

But yeah, I've also never read the books, so that might save this show for me. Ignorance is definitely bliss when it comes to most book to film/show adaptations that's for sure. Showrunners and studios rarely do their source materials justice. Especially in this YA/Mystery genre. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...