Duck, Duck, Goose

For those of you who aren't familiar with the writing of Cole Parker, Cole has an unusual knack for getting inside the minds of adolescents, capturing all of the confusion and uncertainty in a way that I've never seen before. Quite simply, his writing style is beautiful and his stories are outstanding, ranging from Tim, which deals with the triumph of a gay boy whose family is torn apart by a pedophile preacher and who comes to love a boy with a physical disability, to Josh Evolving, which is still only available at Nifty and deals with a a boy who is befriended by another and is brought out of his shell and becomes a natural leader. Both of these and his others are ones I can heartily recommend. :worship:

Cole has recently completed the publication of a new serial novel at Awesome Dude called Duck, Duck, Goose. It is by far one of the best stories I have ever read on the Internet from any author. There are far too many themes to explain here - this story definitely breaks the traditional mold of a story about gay youth on multiple fronts. DDG is about more than just a couple of gay boys who get together and fall in love. In fact, although they get together, it's not clear that one of them actually falls in love until well into the story, and even after he finally admits it to himself, he still has strong reservations about whether it's OK to get involved with a younger boy, knowing that high school romances usually don't last. Yeah, Matt does have a tendency to over-think things. Kevin, on the other hand, knows what he wants, and he wants Matt, even knowing Matt'll be leaving for college two years ahead of him. Poor Becky is practically pulling her hair out seeing how hopelessly in love with each other her best friends are and yet being powerless to help them. And then there's Tim, the other boy . . . or is he?

DDG concludes with a three-part epilogue that is one of the most unique I have seen in any story. Part one is actually a bookend to the first chapter - it concludes the beginning of the story and makes it whole. Part two looks back at DDG from 25 years in the future, giving us a glimpse into the lives of Matt, Kevin and Becky, as well as Ben. Who's Ben? You'll have to read the story to find out, but I'll give you a hint - he's only 16. Finally, Part three also takes place 25 years in the future, or at least we're led to believe it's in that time frame. It brings Matt full circle to where he must deal with a situation similar to the one he faced when he was a kid rebelling against having to play a stupid kids game - a game in which he met a kid who loved him and whom he came to love.

In summary, Duck, Duck, Goose is unlike any Gay fiction you have ever read. It's hardly erotic at all. It's just plain good. :2thumbs:

For those of you who aren't familiar with the writing of Cole Parker, Cole has an unusual knack for getting inside the minds of adolescents, capturing all of the confusion and uncertainty in a way that I've never seen before.....

Cole has recently completed the publication of a new serial novel at Awesome Dude called Duck, Duck, Goose.

In summary, Duck, Duck, Goose is unlike any Gay fiction you have ever read. It's hardly erotic at all. It's just plain good.

I followed this story since the first chapter came on the site, enjoyed a lot the reading, especially the last parts.

The connection between music (the main character (Matt) plays clarinet in concert and bells(?) in marching bands) and his inborn leadership, the love between an 17 years old guy and a 14 years old boy, the openness of Matt's parents, the friendship between 3 boys and a girl, the three-part epilogue, first commitment of Matt, Kevin and Becky, and than.....

But I don't want to spoil your pleasure in advance when you follow the growth and the maturing of all 3 main characters. Just read it and tell us what you think.

Edited by old bob

Oh well, this story did have its moments, but overall the tone is very preachy. The dialogue not very dynamic/realistic. You've got veeery long monologues and introspection. Teenagers don't really talk like that. Heck, I doubt anyone speaks like that in real life. The middle part dragged on and on and the last chapters were a bit rushed. The relationship between Kevin and Matt was sketchy. Matt's character is sketchy too. The transition between confused to I-know-what-I-want-and-who-I-am was not smooth enough in my opinion. I would have wanted more about Kevin's parents. I also would have wanted Matt's parents too be a little less "perfect".

But yeah, it did have its moments. I loved the first couple of chapters. Would recommend the story just for them...or maybe not. Anywayz, to each his own, I guess. Most people think it's good. I just don't.

Oh well, this story did have its moments, but overall the tone is very preachy. The dialogue not very dynamic/realistic. You've got veeery long monologues and introspection. Teenagers don't really talk like that. Heck, I doubt anyone speaks like that in real life. The middle part dragged on and on and the last chapters were a bit rushed. The relationship between Kevin and Matt was sketchy. Matt's character is sketchy too. The transition between confused to I-know-what-I-want-and-who-I-am was not smooth enough in my opinion. I would have wanted more about Kevin's parents. I also would have wanted Matt's parents too be a little less "perfect".

But yeah, it did have its moments. I loved the first couple of chapters. Would recommend the story just for them...or maybe not. Anywayz, to each his own, I guess. Most people think it's good. I just don't.

I have to agree. There were numerous super long monologues and I usually just skimmed it over. He was always analyazing things and thinking too much in his monologues and it wasn't balanced enough with dialogue and action.

Most times, it was very preachy. Matt tries so hard to be noble and is so mature in his statements, and please, no teenager, or even adults nowadays are that mature. Ok, sure some teenagers might posess that level of maturity, but it's rare. And about not being with Kevin and sticking to his principles? Hmm...teenager hormones usually take over. And Win.

Matt was just so perfect- like that interview to be a camp counselor and so forth. Like how did he figure out want he wanted so quickly? And was able to articulate that? And god, who's parents are that awesome and perfect?

Having said that- I did enjoy the story and did read every update. I liked Matt, in spite of everything and thought Kevin was a spunky, passionate character. The ending was a bit rushed and it jumped ahead, but then that's the author's intent, perhaps. I wasn't a fan of the ending, but I won't mention anymore in case someone hasn't quite finished it yet.

All in all, a good story. Not the greatest, but very good. Parker does hit a lot of points of what it's like to be in high school, the peer pressure, being intimidated, etc., so he was definitely on target there.

• Site Administrator

I really enjoyed DDG from start to finish. With the exception of Heart of The Tree, I would say it is or was one of the best that have read at awesomedude.

As far as the long monologues, I too at times maybe got lost in them. I usually plugged through them though cause I knew there was bigger and better things coming up. When I finished a chapter that maybe had a long one or two, I always thought, damn that Matt is a perpetual worrier. I believe Cole used them to show the reader how a emotional scarred teenager analysis just about everything they do before doing it, and then always chooses the safest way. In a way I can sort of relate.

I enjoyed the ending, in some ways it kind of reminded me of the picnic scene at the end of LiS by Shadowgod. I personally like to see how things are in the future without waiting for a sequel which nine times out of ten drags a story well beyond it life expectancy.

I would highly recommend DDG, as it kept me entertained through out its posting schedule. Sad but true, I know that for the past six months Tuesdays were a release of a new chapter of LTMP, and Saturday and Wednesdays were reserved for DDG.

Steve B)

I really enjoyed DDG from start to finish. With the exception of Heart of The Tree, I would say it is or was one of the best that have read at awesomedude.

As far as the long monologues, I too at times maybe got lost in them. I usually plugged through them though cause I knew there was bigger and better things coming up. When I finished a chapter that maybe had a long one or two, I always thought, damn that Matt is a perpetual worrier. I believe Cole used them to show the reader how a emotional scarred teenager analysis just about everything they do before doing it, and then always chooses the safest way. In a way I can sort of relate.

I enjoyed the ending, in some ways it kind of reminded me of the picnic scene at the end of LiS by Shadowgod. I personally like to see how things are in the future without waiting for a sequel which nine times out of ten drags a story well beyond it life expectancy.

I would highly recommend DDG, as it kept me entertained through out its posting schedule. Sad but true, I know that for the past six months Tuesdays were a release of a new chapter of LTMP, and Saturday and Wednesdays were reserved for DDG.

Steve B)

B) ...........I totally agree with you on this one Steve, Cole wrote a great story that kept me entertained thoughout until the end. I laughed when it known that Timothy was straight, who wadda figured?? Cole has a gift!!

B) ...........I totally agree with you on this one Steve, Cole wrote a great story that kept me entertained thoughout until the end. I laughed when it known that Timothy was straight, who wadda figured?? Cole has a gift!!

I owe B1ue (Gabe) My life, haha. He's the one who told me about this wonderful story, and I have to admit at first I was kinda bored and somewhere at chapter 7 stopped reading. But recently I went back and began reading where I left off. I admit that the way Kevin kept pushing Matt away chapter after chapter would be a reason for a lot of readers to lose interest. But to me that is what made me want to read even more. It was very fustrading seeing Matt consently being pushed away, but in a way I know why Kevin did it. He was mad ay himself more then he was towards Kevin. And the way Cole protrayed that was just amazing. You did a wonderful job with this story, sure there were a few chapters that I scimed through, but that's just me and my short attention span. When I get hooked on something I tend to want to know the results ASAP!

Agian this was a great read, if you were like me and stopped mid way, please make some tea or coffee and give it another read.

-Mike

I hope Cole wouldn't get mad at me for saying this.

I "spoke" with him everyday ever since chapter 1 of DDG was posted. AND I really complained to him about Matt's parents. They were so perfect they make my skin crawl. :lol: Okay, not quite. But that's what I told him - I didn't think it's natural.

His reply actually took time before it made sense to me. He told me that he wanted kids to be able to trust their parents, to learn that if they have any problems - big or small - they can turn to their parents. Not everybody had a sh**ty home life. He just wanted that "not everybody" to take advantage of their parents while they still can.

Most kids - and I'm not saying all - at their puberty start being around their friends more and with their parents less. Matt didn't have that; he was shunned by everyone (so he thought at that time). He had nobody but his parents. If Cole made his parents less than what they were - or as said in some of the above posts, perfect - I couldn't imagine how Matt would turn out as a person.

All the times that Matt tried to be an adult or as mature as an adult should be, it made me laugh. Especially when he says, "We men..." :lol: And Cole told me that that was what he wanted to achieve. Matt was too uptight, too paranoid with how others saw him, and Cole used that to put a little comedy in his character.

It being preachy at times was not the story. It was Matt. And at times, I really want to give him a kick or a shake just to wake him up.

That said, I hope I can finally find the time to finish the story. :lol: I hate that I have to work to work for a living. :P:lol:

Rad :)

All the times that Matt tried to be an adult or as mature as an adult should be, it made me laugh. Especially when he says, "We men..." :lol: And Cole told me that that was what he wanted to achieve. Matt was too uptight, too paranoid with how others saw him, and Cole used that to put a little comedy in his character.

It being preachy at times was not the story. It was Matt. And at times, I really want to give him a kick or a shake just to wake him up.

Rad :)

So Matt's long monologues were supposed to be funny? :blink:

And the story being preachy was not just Matt. I think it's something the author really has to work on. I read some of his other stories (one that comes to mind it's Tim), well, they too were preachy.

I understand you (the previous posters) liked the story, but come on, it's certainly not the best. One should be able to acknowledge a story's shortcomings even when one likes it. Especially when one is recommending it to others.

My 2 cents.

Hey Pharaon,

No need to contempt my opinion about a story !

Old bob

I think you missed my point, but since I don't want this to blow out of proportion, I will gladly take back the last part of my comment (you know, the one about acknowledging the shortcomings...yeah, that bit).

Sans rancoeur,

Pharaon.

I think you missed my point, but since I don't want this to blow out of proportion, I will gladly take back the last part of my comment (you know, the one about acknowledging the shortcomings...yeah, that bit).

Sans rancoeur,

Pharaon.

I like that you're honest. This is an open forum and different opinions are allowed.

I agree with you and the other posters who liked the story. I've read it since the beginning and every update, I read, or sometimes skimmed, depending on the length of the monologues.

There weren't any obvious funny moments, but funny in the sense that Matt is acting like an old, uptight dude when he's really a kid. It's not "hahaha" funny, but "hmm...interesting" funny.

It came off a bit preachy. I hadn't read Cole's other works, so I can't compare it to anything else he wrote. Perhaps that's the tone he gives off as a writer. Again, I think that Matt, although shunned, had too smooth a path in getting everything together. Especially those band moments, being captain, and then giving up his chance for a solo. What teenager would do that? In high school, I'd go: YES! The Solo is ALL MINE!!!" :D But maybe Matt's just more mature than most teens, which perhaps is why it comes off as preachy.

As for what Rad Stevens said about the parents being too perfect; I felt that way too at times. But most parents are supportive and there for you. They weren't always perfect- the mother liked to analyze Matt, which from Matt's perspective was annoying as hell. It'd be annoying to me too. Then again, I have no idea what perfect parents are supposed to be like. Or ones that are actually around. Do they really discuss things with their kids and say "i love you"?

Anyway, the story had it's good moments, cute moments, annoying and LONG paragrpahs, but overall, a decent story. I'd read more of his works in the future.

Sans rancoeur,

Pharaon.

Thanks a lot for your kindness :worship:

you know, old people sometimes dont have the patience I had 58 years ago, when I was as young as you are :D .

BTW, I miss the chat (closed about a year ago) where we could exchange teasing and jokes without being misunderstood :lol: .

Hem, Hem, may I correct your French expression : its "sans rancune". Its a small difference, translated, it means "no hard feelings". And thanks also to have used my mother tongue. I appreciated it :rolleyes:

Old Bob

Hem, Hem, may I correct your French expression : its "sans rancune". Its a small difference, translated, it means "no hard feelings". And thanks also to have used my mother tongue. I appreciated it :rolleyes:

Old Bob

Ooops~! So much for showing off, eh? *must stick to English in the future...* :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Pharaon

Edited by Pharaon