Breastfeeding

Procyon

Would you try breast-feeding your child?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you try breast-feeding your child?

• Yes, of COURSE, how can you even ask!
    • Yeah I think I might give it a try.
    • No, I'm a guy, not a friggin cow.
    • No, I'm a career woman, not a friggin cow.
    • Dunno... can't I just give the baby a Happy Meal and be done with it?
    • Maybe

A colleague of mine exclaimed, today, that she'd found out that men are also able to breast-feed. She was shocked.

While I haven't met any man who has breast-fed his (or any other) child, I have some friends who know men who did that, and I had read about it too in maternity (hmm paternity..?) magazines. Men have the same ability to lactate as women who haven't been pregnant, i.e., it's a bit hard to get going but it's possible. But it can be pretty hard for women who've just given birth, too.

We then discussed whether women would really want their men to breast-feed and, as my colleague put it, 'take that domain away from us'. But personally I'd think it was really cool if I had a guy who'd like to try breast-feeding our child, and it'd be such a relief too not to be tied to the baby 24/7.

Breast-feeding affects us subconsciously, too, and has a deep symbolical meaning -- I've met people who were breast-fed by the same woman (in this case) and they felt that there was a special connection between them.

If you're a man, would you try breast-feeding your child? And if you're a woman, would you choose to do it? How important is breast-feeding? Would breast-feeding give you a special connection if you adopted a child?

(I breast-fed my son for quite a long while and... personally I think it does give you a special connection.)

Breast-feeding affects us subconsciously, too, and has a deep symbolical meaning -- I've met people who were breast-fed by the same woman (in this case) and they felt that there was a special connection between them.

If you're a man, would you try breast-feeding your child? And if you're a woman, would you choose to do it? How important is breast-feeding? Would breast-feeding give you a special connection if you adopted a child?

(I breast-fed my son for quite a long while and... personally I think it does give you a special connection.)

All males do have a mammary gland. But its "deactivated"... As far as i know, you would have to use female hormones as a man for your mammary gland to start producing milk... which would have quite some side effects.

If i would not have to take oestrogen and i would not start growing a (female) bosom, i think i would breast feed my child if i could. I think you are right with the "special connection/bonding" it creates. Its such an elementary thing to feed your child..

But i don't think it would work "naturally" for most men without using female hormones (or other drugs).. which i would not like to use because of the side effects... but i answered "Yes of course i would try", because i think i would (even if it doesnt work)

Male lactation

Edited by YaP

All males do have a mammary gland. But its "deactivated"... As far as i know, you would have to use female hormones as a man for your mammary gland to start producing milk... which would have quite some side effects.

If i would not have to take oestrogen and i would not start growing a (female) bosom, i think i would breast feed my child if i could. I think you are right with the "special connection/bonding" it creates. Its such an elementary thing to feed your child..

But i don't think it would work "naturally" for most men without using female hormones (or other drugs).. which i would not like to use because of the side effects... but i answered "Yes of course i would try", because i think i would (even if it doesnt work)

Male lactation

The main hormone needed for lactation -- which is also given to women who don't have enough milk -- is oxytocin, which is present in any parent of a new-born child (fathers too, usually, though not quite as much as in the mother).

It is produced by your body when you're taking care of someone helpless -- and in other circumstances too, I forget exactly when. So there's nothing strange about it.

And since it doesn't always work, I gave the option 'I'd try'. ;)

I accidentally mis-voted. I meant to vote for the 'I might give it a try' option, but I picked the one below it by mistake.

My concern would have been the same as Pete's. If I could do it without growing boobs and experiencing other strange (for men) side-effects, then of course I would do it!

The main hormone needed for lactation -- which is also given to women who don't have enough milk -- is oxytocin, which is present in any parent of a new-born child (fathers too, usually, though not quite as much as in the mother).

It is produced by your body when you're taking care of someone helpless -- and in other circumstances too, I forget exactly when. So there's nothing strange about it.

It's referred to as the "cuddle" hormone and it increases nurturing feelings and...well a desire to cuddle. They've done studies and determined that people tend to produce this hormone when watching romantic movies, so if you've ever wanted to cuddle after/during one of these then there's every chance that as well as the other factors hormones were playing a role as well.

I was aware that it helped bond mother to child, but I was not aware that it actually had physiological effects on the breasts which stimulated lactation.

Anyway, like Pete, I'd do it if I didn't have to take dangerous hormones/drugs with weird side-effects.

-Kevin

Even if they say Breast feeding is beneficial, I wouldn't do it. It has always been something that bottles looked so much better really. My mother didn't breast feed me or anyone of her babies either.

If I can get past the idea of an eight-pound creature coming out of my body, I probably wouldn't mind letting it attach itself to my chest and drain fluid. It's also free, compared to paying out the ass for formula. And while we're on the subject, I don't care if a woman breastfeeds in public. Most women are discreet about it, but even if a nipple peeks out for a second, who gives a f**K? That is what they're there for. If some guy gets off on watching a mother nurse her child, she's not the one with issues.

And while we're on the subject, I don't care if a woman breastfeeds in public. Most women are discreet about it, but even if a nipple peeks out for a second, who gives a f**K? That is what they're there for. If some guy gets off on watching a mother nurse her child, she's not the one with issues.

Amen to that! :worship:

There are so many benefits to breast feeding that I don't see it as acceptable to NOT do it unless you're unable... I mean, I'm not militant about it, but it's disappointing to find that many new mothers don't do it.

Statistically, babies who are breast fed have a higher IQ.

They also are provided with a firm boost to their immune system which can help prevent/lessen the occurence of LIFE-THREATENING infections.

They also have a lower instance of SIDS.

As has been stated, it also forms a tighter bond with the mother.

I just don't see any reason not to. And, as for breast feeding in public.... dude, if it freaks you out, close your eyes. My mother breast fed in public, and she was quite discreet about it. She had a baby blanket she would cover us with, along with her chest, and since babies like the warmth and snuggliness anyway it worked great. She had a few people complain about it, but she tore them a new one before leaving whatever establishment she was in, and did her best to embarass whoever it was that dared say something to her on the way out. :P

If you have like mastitis or some reason not to breast feed then yeah, it's not the end of the world, but why would you NOT do it when it's been proven to be so beneficial to both the child and the mother?

Well, I would do it.

Except my breasts aren't capable of producing milk.

Actually it is possible, but it requires hormone therapy. :)

Well, I would do it.

Except my breasts aren't capable of producing milk.

Um, the point is that it *is* possible...

Actually it is possible, but it requires hormone therapy. :)

...without what you call hormone therapy (which to me would indicate taking hormones as a medication).

It is true that the so-called cuddling hormone oxytocin is needed for breastfeeding, but your body produces that every time you cuddle (or similar). Yes, in both men and women. And it is true that it takes a while for one's breasts to produce milk and one needs to let the baby suck for that to happen -- and that is probably the reason most men don't breastfeed, because they don't think of doing that in the first place.

Do read the excellent article Lugh referred to a few posts up: http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscar...es/milkmen.html

And good luck with the breastfeeding! :P

Btw it's great to see so many of you being supportive of breastfeeding in public; I agree, it's a natural thing and there's nothing offensive about it -- and it's the most healthy thing for the baby, so people shouldn't make it difficult for the parents, parenting is hard enough already as it is.

Well, yes it's possible. Men just don't develop their milk glands like women do. With hormones, of course...I guess men can feed kids.

But it's still true I am not capable of producing milk at this point. :D

I have no problem with breastfeeding. But personally, I think it's tastless to open your shirt and take out your whole breast for everyone to see and feed your one year old kid. That's what a lady did in the metro a year ago and it was gross to see her slagging boob in the air. Normally women would cover that up with a blanket. :blink:

Edited by Jack Frost

Um, the point is that it *is* possible...

...without what you call hormone therapy (which to me would indicate taking hormones as a medication).

It is true that the so-called cuddling hormone oxytocin is needed for breastfeeding, but your body produces that every time you cuddle (or similar). Yes, in both men and women. And it is true that it takes a while for one's breasts to produce milk and one needs to let the baby suck for that to happen -- and that is probably the reason most men don't breastfeed, because they don't think of doing that in the first place.

Do read the excellent article Lugh referred to a few posts up: http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscar...es/milkmen.html

And good luck with the breastfeeding! :P

Btw it's great to see so many of you being supportive of breastfeeding in public; I agree, it's a natural thing and there's nothing offensive about it -- and it's the most healthy thing for the baby, so people shouldn't make it difficult for the parents, parenting is hard enough already as it is.

Only people with really dirty minds have a problem with breastfeeding, because they associate breasts with sex. Most of the guys here don't care about that anyway. :D

Well I will say that generally mothers are quite discreet about breastfeeding. Even if they weren't so discreet, though, jeez, it's a child and it's hungry. That's like me freaking out because someone handed you food and you're eating in public. It's not sexual in any way, and there shouldn't be any stigma surrounding a practice which so obviously has so many benefits.