Eurovision 2008

Who do you think will win the Eurovision Song Contest in Belgrade??

I want Rodolfo Chikilicuatre to win with his song, "Chiki Chiki"! Tomorrow at 3 pm EST (American Eastern Standard Time) the first semi-final, Wednesday at the same time, 2nd Semi-Final and finally, Thursday, the Final!

www.eurovision.tv for the live streams of the Eurovision!

I don't care who wins, I just want them reading all the points out loud again like they used to -- ever since they changed it so they're only reading the points from 8 and up it's become so boring... I want to hear those "Royaume Uni -- un point" and "Pays Bas -- trois points". That's what was fun about it. :ph34r:

Maybe to reduce the air time to keep the results as excited as possible but last year, the Serbian blowed out the water by defeating the Ukrainians (whom I like to win the Eurovision) by more than 160 votes...

Anybody watching? Looks like Russia'll win. I don't remember their song, haha -- but gosh, Evgeni Plushenko is there!! Of course it'd be cooler if Yagudin were there, but still, it's interesting.

Anybody watching? Looks like Russia'll win. I don't remember their song, haha -- but gosh, Evgeni Plushenko is there!! Of course it'd be cooler if Yagudin were there, but still, it's interesting.

I like the british commentator the best, keeps me amused while watching some dubious/funny performances (including that of the presenters) :) . Our UK entry was again pitiful, but quite glad we didnt get 'nil point' again. My geography knowledge is shocking, there were countries in it that I'd never heard of, let alone knew were in 'europe'.

I'm interested though as to how seriously some of the countries take the contest, do the people really er, believe the show to be amazing, or is it just the sore loser effect on the part of the uk that we don't take it seriously.

Well done to russia, it was quite a good act! (a rumour I heard was that timberland had been involved in their act)

Celia

I like the british commentator the best, keeps me amused while watching some dubious/funny performances (including that of the presenters) :) . Our UK entry was again pitiful, but quite glad we didnt get 'nil point' again. My geography knowledge is shocking, there were countries in it that I'd never heard of, let alone knew were in 'europe'.

I'm interested though as to how seriously some of the countries take the contest, do the people really er, believe the show to be amazing, or is it just the sore loser effect on the part of the uk that we don't take it seriously.

Well done to russia, it was quite a good act! (a rumour I heard was that timberland had been involved in their act)

Celia

Lol I don't think anyone *really* takes it seriously, although in some strange way it is an honour to have won it. :D I can't really figure out why. But it must be all those 'douze points' that make one feel good about winning.

And yeah, well done to Russia! Had they won it before?

Lol I don't think anyone *really* takes it seriously, although in some strange way it is an honour to have won it. :D I can't really figure out why. But it must be all those 'douze points' that make one feel good about winning.

And yeah, well done to Russia! Had they won it before?

Don't think so, I think they've only taken part in the last few years, since not traditionally part of europe.

Its a popularity contest! Thats why it feels good to win. What do you think of all the political voting?? hehe. britains never gona win at the moment, especially since we've no neighbours except for ireland. that and we somehow manage to drag up the worst acts imaginable from all the talent we have. some of the acts they put on sometimes make me think what the hell were they thinking - bosnia for example. I liked the one with the oldman on the decks. and most of the girls seemed to be wearing the same dress - silver and shimmery.

Celia

Maybe to reduce the air time to keep the results as excited as possible but last year, the Serbian blowed out the water by defeating the Ukrainians (whom I like to win the Eurovision) by more than 160 votes...

I think its because the number of countries taking part has increased so much that it would take up way too much airtime if they kept the same fomat. I agree, the low points were the best bit - especially since they were/are the only ones the uk are ever likely to get. They don't just read out the votes of those taking part, but other countries that didnt make it to the final, there were 43 countries reporting tonight!

Celia

I guess I'm the eternal optimist... Each year I keep thinking "Maybe this year, countries won't just vote for the countries next to them!", but each year I'm let down. Oh well, maybe next year!

Pretty much everyone who competed this year were beyond awful.

Don't think so, I think they've only taken part in the last few years, since not traditionally part of europe.

Its a popularity contest! Thats why it feels good to win. What do you think of all the political voting?? hehe. britains never gona win at the moment, especially since we've no neighbours except for ireland. that and we somehow manage to drag up the worst acts imaginable from all the talent we have. some of the acts they put on sometimes make me think what the hell were they thinking - bosnia for example. I liked the one with the oldman on the decks. and most of the girls seemed to be wearing the same dress - silver and shimmery.

The eastern European countries didn't join until pretty recently any of them, did they? Except for Yugoslavia which, for some reason, was in it all along. (Btw I never understood why Israel was in it -- it's not like that's really Europe, and if they were allowed to join why didn't Lebanon and Syria and those countries take part too?) But these days, of course, places like Azerbaijan and Armenia have joined, so it's not as strange.

The political voting, hahaha... it used to be Greece and Cyprus only who did that, like, 10 years ago, but now it's everyone. And yeah, the only ones likely to vote for Britain would be Ireland and possible France and Belgium and the Netherlands. Anyway, I guess it promotes people's geographical awareness. At least people will know what countries are close to each other. :P Although it also happens that Turkey gets a lot of points from countries like Germany and Sweden because of all the immigrants.

I think its because the number of countries taking part has increased so much that it would take up way too much airtime if they kept the same fomat. I agree, the low points were the best bit - especially since they were/are the only ones the uk are ever likely to get. They don't just read out the votes of those taking part, but other countries that didnt make it to the final, there were 43 countries reporting tonight!

Yeah I know there's a lot of countries... but it's still sad that they don't read the points out loud. They should cut down on something else instead, like, make the songs shorter or something. ;)

I guess I'm the eternal optimist... Each year I keep thinking "Maybe this year, countries won't just vote for the countries next to them!", but each year I'm let down. Oh well, maybe next year!

Pretty much everyone who competed this year were beyond awful.

Yeah, I didn't even manage to listen to them. And Russia's song wasn't that great in spite of the Stradivarius, and I've never really liked Plushenko anyway.

Okay I missed it, what did Britain get this year?

Points wise? I think we got 14 - and six of them were from Ireland!! Not sure who gave us the rest, must have been in little dribbles of one points. The act was some runner up from pop idol who I had never heard of since gave up watching that years ago. but he was pretty awful - though compared to some of the standard we've entered recently not too bad. the whole set was multicoloured and he was wearing this weird austin powers suit.

bosnia to me was the weirdest -had these doll like people and a washing line. no real singing at all. was odd - even for eurovision standards.

Celia

Points wise? I think we got 14 - and six of them were from Ireland!! Not sure who gave us the rest, must have been in little dribbles of one points. The act was some runner up from pop idol who I had never heard of since gave up watching that years ago. but he was pretty awful - though compared to some of the standard we've entered recently not too bad. the whole set was multicoloured and he was wearing this weird austin powers suit.

bosnia to me was the weirdest -had these doll like people and a washing line. no real singing at all. was odd - even for eurovision standards.

Celia

lol! I have to agree with all of that!

But to be honest, the majority of the performances where horrible.

Btw, I don't get why the UK only send such awful performers to the ESC... If you'd just send one of your best performers, you'd win big time. Is the ESC not popular in the UK?

Like a third of Sweden's population watch it each year, so it's huge here. lol

lol! I have to agree with all of that!

But to be honest, the majority of the performances where horrible.

Btw, I don't get why the UK only send such awful performers to the ESC... If you'd just send one of your best performers, you'd win big time. Is the ESC not popular in the UK?

Like a third of Sweden's population watch it each year, so it's huge here. lol

I'm not sure how much of the public watch it, but plenty still do - at least its still notorious. I think it has a bit of a cult following, people are drawn to it each year with the dread/weird fasination/mad-humour. In my student town alot of people play drinking games in the pub, each person is assigned a country and something along the lines of (it varies greatly) if your country is mentioned you have to take a sip of your drink - so poor you (or not) if you have been allocated the winner.

I don't think any of us get why we put in such lousy performances. Every year we have a debate about what the rules are for entry - I believe its something about can't be 'signed' or something, they have to be amateur acts, but I'm not really sure how true that is. I think lots of people watch it, but for some reason no-one wants to represent our country in the comp, its left to people who - actually have no idea why they want to do it. and the panel-- you'd think someone would take it upon themselves to run a brilliant recruitment mission instead of letting people who obviously have no sense pick, and who has pride in the country. that or its the british humour coming through by the selectors. Terry Wogan who has commentated it every year for god knows how many years now, I think its decades, this year announced he doesnt want to do it again, he's finally had enough - cited the politcal voting. I think thats partly why we dont put forward good acts, nobody cares that much because they know its something that doesnt really involve the uk, other countries are using it to kind of boost themselves and making it more eastern european - nothing wrong with that, but I think there is the sense that we really don't need to be apart of it, we don't depend on it. Its a shame about Terry because he was always funny to listen to, but you could tell he was getting more and more scathing of the whole thing - basically I don't know what other commentators do but he jokes and is sarcastic all the way through (he's not blatantly disrespectfull though - he does say welldone where necessary). They better replace him with a comedian if he does retire, he is part of what makes me watch it each year - don't think it would be enjoyable without his witty comments. in fact if he did retire and they didnt replace him with someone better then I think pretty much all the following of the show would drop - he is what everyone associates with the show in the uk.

Celia

Edited by Smarties

i'm not use to watch this show but right now i listen Believe - Dima Billian - the winner of this year ...

OMG , he hot as hell !!! :lmao: ... I found out a lot sexy picture of him , plus , he got the awsome voice ...

Does anybody had a version mp3 of " Never let you go " ?

I'm not sure how much of the public watch it, but plenty still do - at least its still notorious. I think it has a bit of a cult following, people are drawn to it each year with the dread/weird fasination/mad-humour. In my student town alot of people play drinking games in the pub, each person is assigned a country and something along the lines of (it varies greatly) if your country is mentioned you have to take a sip of your drink - so poor you (or not) if you have been allocated the winner.

LOL! I gotta try that drinking game someday!

I don't think any of us get why we put in such lousy performances. Every year we have a debate about what the rules are for entry - I believe its something about can't be 'signed' or something, they have to be amateur acts, but I'm not really sure how true that is. I think lots of people watch it, but for some reason no-one wants to represent our country in the comp, its left to people who - actually have no idea why they want to do it. and the panel-- you'd think someone would take it upon themselves to run a brilliant recruitment mission instead of letting people who obviously have no sense pick, and who has pride in the country. that or its the british humour coming through by the selectors. Terry Wogan who has commentated it every year for god knows how many years now, I think its decades, this year announced he doesnt want to do it again, he's finally had enough - cited the politcal voting. I think thats partly why we dont put forward good acts, nobody cares that much because they know its something that doesnt really involve the uk, other countries are using it to kind of boost themselves and making it more eastern european - nothing wrong with that, but I think there is the sense that we really don't need to be apart of it, we don't depend on it. Its a shame about Terry because he was always funny to listen to, but you could tell he was getting more and more scathing of the whole thing - basically I don't know what other commentators do but he jokes and is sarcastic all the way through (he's not blatantly disrespectfull though - he does say welldone where necessary). They better replace him with a comedian if he does retire, he is part of what makes me watch it each year - don't think it would be enjoyable without his witty comments. in fact if he did retire and they didnt replace him with someone better then I think pretty much all the following of the show would drop - he is what everyone associates with the show in the uk.

Celia

Nah, most countries send their biggest stars(even though they all end up being awful, lol). Dima, who won this year, is apperantly HUGE in Russia and some other countries.

I think most of the Scandinavian countries are beginning to take the competition as a joke. The dude who's comment for Sweden is hilarious when he doesn't even try to be nice. He said stuff like "...Oh poor dear...", "Well that was awful." and "You might think they are joking, but they are dead serious.". :wub: Oh, and the guy who presented the Swedish votes was acting like a total drunk. He's a comedian and made fun of the whole thing, but I don't think most people actually understood he were kidding. lol

I think most of the Scandinavian countries are beginning to take the competition as a joke. The dude who's comment for Sweden is hilarious when he doesn't even try to be nice. He said stuff like "...Oh poor dear...", "Well that was awful." and "You might think they are joking, but they are dead serious.". :wub: Oh, and the guy who presented the Swedish votes was acting like a total drunk. He's a comedian and made fun of the whole thing, but I don't think most people actually understood he were kidding. lol

haha, well, our guy is pretty outrageous at times, he talks over them (well certainly the hosts) most of the time, he just kinda says exactly what you are thinking often just as your laughing at the screen yourself. One of my friends is from Sweden, I don't think she got he was doing it on purpose, haha I think she was abit mortified.

I asked somebody about the entry rules, and apparently the SONG has to have been written by amaeturs. The performers themselves can be good and national stars, but the song has to have been written by somebody who isnt known, or had proffessional practice. STILL that doesnt explain why somebody doesnt dredge up the best of amaeter stuff because we have many many artists/writers who are trying to make it who are pretty good.

and do you know strangely, the adults I have been speaking to seem to think our act this year wasnt that bad! :)

Celia

haha, well, our guy is pretty outrageous at times, he talks over them (well certainly the hosts) most of the time, he just kinda says exactly what you are thinking often just as your laughing at the screen yourself. One of my friends is from Sweden, I don't think she got he was doing it on purpose, haha I think she was abit mortified.

I asked somebody about the entry rules, and apparently the SONG has to have been written by amaeturs. The performers themselves can be good and national stars, but the song has to have been written by somebody who isnt known, or had proffessional practice. STILL that doesnt explain why somebody doesnt dredge up the best of amaeter stuff because we have many many artists/writers who are trying to make it who are pretty good.

and do you know strangely, the adults I have been speaking to seem to think our act this year wasnt that bad! :)

Celia

Nah. The song that won this year was written/produced/whatever by one of Timbaland's guys. Russia spent loads on cash for it. And the Swedish entries are almost always written by professionals who've done it several times before. The song have to be written especially for ESC and can't be published earlier or something like that.

To be honest, this year, the UK was better then usual... But it was still kinda awful, lol. But compared to previous years(the airplane-themed song and the pedo schoolgirl-themed song entered my mind right now), it's gold. lol

Edited by Pai-chan

Celia

Oh well that isnt to bad... compared to last year anyway lol

• 2 weeks later...