[Menzo] On n'aime qu'une fois by Menzoberranzen

Sam is a flawed person, but he changed, and the great irony/tragedy of the story is the futility of his decision regarding Jonah. Maybe Sam's changes weren't enough to resist Jonah's next return, should it come, but there seemed to be some growth in Sam.

The tragedy is that Rob didn't have the patience to stick by Sam and perhaps lose the longer-term relationship that could ensue. He couldn't foresee the change in Sam that was about to be made, fragile as it might be, and he made his decision. Though one might love only one time, the first, that doesn't mean that the second and successive times can't end in a more realistic and enduring love. There may always be flames from the first love, and those may be a permanent part of Sam, but the memories can fade to the background.

That's my view, but the excellence of the story lies in the varied reactions of the readers.

Some people are going to be more sympathetic to Sam than others. Sam cheated on his boyfriend, which will make some people think the worst of him. Other people have been through that temptation and know how hard it can be to resist, and they'll be more sympathetic. There's not going to be a consensus on this issue :D

Not to split hairs, but there does seem to be a slight consensus, and it seems that Sam screwed up :lol:

Sam is a flawed person, but he changed, and the great irony/tragedy of the story is the futility of his decision regarding Jonah.

Did he? I certainly didn't get that impression.

Maybe Sam's changes weren't enough to resist Jonah's next return, should it come, but there seemed to be some growth in Sam.

I think he definitely would have fallen into Jonah's 'trap' the next time as well. As such it's my opinion that Rob made the right decision. It looks to me like Sam is stuck in a permanent, unhelpful, hopeless cycle.

The tragedy is that Rob didn't have the patience to stick by Sam and perhaps lose the longer-term relationship that could ensue. He couldn't foresee the change in Sam that was about to be made, fragile as it might be, and he made his decision. Though one might love only one time, the first, that doesn't mean that the second and successive times can't end in a more realistic and enduring love. There may always be flames from the first love, and those may be a permanent part of Sam, but the memories can fade to the background.

True enough, it just didn't seem to me like it was going to fade into the background and stay there.

'You only love one time: the first.

For a while, whenever I'd think of the phrase "First loves are forever" I'd feel an urge to bang my forehead repeatedly into a nearby hard surface, whispering, "stupid, stupid, stupid."

This is possibly because that was the exact reaction I had when I realized I'd fallen for one of my friends. In any case, furniture is now safe from my falshbacks, but I think I'll keep the French version in mind, since it is less provocative. Not to mention sexier. Ah, Latin based languages. How you rock.

I liked that line too, actually though I hear quite a few Biblical similes on a regular basis...it's probably just the company I keep though.

Kind of random, but you just reminded me of something. friend of mine (well, two of them, but it was the one's idea) for a while attached the phrase "in the biblical sense" to anything anyone else would say. Not constantly of course, just whenever it would cause a laugh. For instance:

Since we
  • 2 weeks later...