The only real way a author knows that you have read and enjoy their works is if you email them and let them know. A lot of good stories have not been finished just because the author never knew that they were enjoyed. You can set up a hotmail or yahoo email to use just for that purpose if you would like. I don't think I can stress this enough, let the authors know when you enjoy their work. :D

• Site Administrator

Amen to that!

It's only through encouragement that many authors write more. Or, at least, share more.

• 2 months later...

I agree. Being a net author myself, I thrive on feedback. I'll always keep writing anyway but it's inspiring to know that people appreciate what you do. I'm sure most authors can relate. Especially if you enjoy something you read.

--Ty

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

What can I say. An author can put hours into each and every chapter he writes, and when you don't get feedback, it makes you wonder if it's worth all the effort. I've worked with several new authors who quit writing what I thought were great starts to decent stories because no one emailed them. It may be that people are just lurkers, but when there's no other way to determine if your story is getting read, you end up assuming no one is reading. I'm sure we've all lost good material, due to that fact.

Please respond to what you read.

• 2 months later...

I have started a story on Nifty (Fall little star, rise great sun) and have had so little feedback that I am in considerable doubt that anyone likes it.

I used to add at the end of my story that All mails got answered including flamers. I think its just as important that you write to tell an author that you do not like a story as it is to say you do, though it helps if your critisism is constructive.

lastly, as authors I think its most important to reply to those who do write to thank us for our efforts. I have written to authors and recieved no response. :angry:

• Site Administrator

I always reply to everyone that writes me. Good, bad, or indifferent.

I respond to all emails I get, but that alone does not ensure feedback. I have noticed that lately, repsonses to chapters have died off tremendously. That's made me wonder if anyone is reading any longer.

Bill

I have recieved a few pm's from members who have stories in the library, the archive and even on nifty asking me to review their story for them because they are not getting any feedback. I don't have the time to review every story I read, I'm a busy person :boy:

That's why I'm pleading to all of the readers out there, if you read a story and if you like it or hate it, it doesn't matter contact the author and tell them briefly what you thought. Trust me, it means the world to an author who doesn't get paid to write to see his/her inbox filled with emails about their work. It only takes a minute or two and who knows, your email could make the difference between a story being scrapped or completed by the author.

I had put my story on hietus for well over half a year because I thought no one was reading it.

Reviews help greatly especially when they are descriptive and in-depth.

I always reply to constructive reviews even if they are negative. I ignore flamers that have no point other than to insult me or my writing cause they're bored.

Thank you for the reminder :D :

I have been reading quite a bit and haven't sent as many emails (to authors) as I could have. I do attempt to make an effort to; however, "making an effort" and DOING IT are two different things :wacko:

Anyway, I have some emails to get out!!!! :2thumbs:

AJ