Message Board Topic 12/15

Comsie

The thing about writing is, authors are being given a chance to finally take everything that's on their minds, and spill it out on a page all at once. Everything! From fantasies, to frustrations, to depressions, to joys, to fetishes, to long lasting regrets.

And sometimes, that stream of consciousness can be somewhat overpowering if it's something that the author is truly connected to, whether in a good way, or a bad way.

The question this week is...is there a way to cut out some of those long winded emotions and make for a better story? Instead of having someone ramble on endlessly about an emotion that is obviously so close to their heart...would you rather have the abridged version, and just enjoy the story as it is without being 'preached' to? Or...do you LIKE the rambling monologues that can sometimes occur with these kinds of emotional 'cleansings'? Let us know what you think! :)

• Site Administrator

It's a personal taste thing, and even there it can vary depending on the mood of the reader.

Sometimes I like reading long rambling thoughts, but other times I want to see the story moving along. More often than not, I prefer the 'shorter version', but I recognise that that is my personal taste and not something that I should dictate to an author. When the rambling is done well, it can be a really enjoyable read :D

I'm with Graeme on this one, in the sense that I don't mind when an author likes to indulge in something that they relate closely to, but I usually prefer a shorter, more concise version of events. There are however some stories/scenes that work well because of the depth and content included by the author.

So all in all (in my opinion), it really depends on the genre of the story as well as its location in the plot line.

So all in all (in my opinion), it really depends on the genre of the story as well as its location in the plot line.

I agree with this. Rambling is good if it's in small doses located sporadically in the whole story, so readers get the inner thoughts of the character as well as progress on the story.

Except for maybe "Billy Chase" coz that's supposed to be a journal of sorts, so the ramblings there doesn't count :)