[David McLeod] Barrett the Beggar

A new story in the world of

Book of Heroes: George of Sedona,

In the Prince's Secret Service,

The Translator,

Knight Templar in Training,

and The Paladin

has been posted. Barrett the Beggar can be found in the eFiction section.

For those who clicked on the first posting, under the name "The Beggar and the Prince," and found no story but only two copies of the disclaimer, I apologize. Please give this one a try. Thank you.

Barret the Begger I read last night. Though I didnt understand exactly what "Boy magic" is all about nor what "Tween" means either, I liked this.

Is the Prince the king but they call him the prince? That was a tad confusing as well.

Other than the stuff I didnt understand, I liked it. How the inkeeper let him and Barrett stay and how he followed "the old ways". It was very interesting. I wish it hadnt ended where it did, I wanted more but... aw well.

Barret the Begger I read last night. Though I didnt understand exactly what "Boy magic" is all about nor what "Tween" means either, I liked this.

Is the Prince the king but they call him the prince? That was a tad confusing as well.

Other than the stuff I didnt understand, I liked it. How the inkeeper let him and Barrett stay and how he followed "the old ways". It was very interesting. I wish it hadnt ended where it did, I wanted more but... aw well.

Thank you for reading and especially for posting. I didn't realize until you wrote, that "Barrett" presumes knowledge of World (the world on which it takes place) that is not contained in the story, but which is perhaps better developed in other, earlier stories. Certainly, if "Barrett" ever gets a rewrite, your comments will help me know where to start. The country in which "Barrett" takes place, Arcadia, is a principality, and the ruler is a prince. It does not help that the ruler's sons are all princes, as are the sons of dukes. This custom will change over the 20--30,000 years before the reign of Prince Auric, in which many of the other stories take place. The glossary entries (not online) might help with "boy magic" and "tween." (Please remember that "boy" means a male of the age of consent, at least 18 years old). Girl magic is the analogue to boy magic. Thanks again for your thoughts.

boy magic: n Energy that is captured by a boy as he moves through the magical field that permeates World. While the capture mechanism is unclear, it is believed that this energy is stored in the Schwann cells and the oligodendrocytes that insulate the neurons of the peripheral nervous system and the central nervous system, respectively. Various passages in The Book of Heroes make it clear that the capture operates in much the same way that electrical energy is captured in a copper wire passing through a magnetic field on Earth. The Schwann cells and the oligodendrocytes strongly resemble a liquid capacitor as might have been used in the 20th century on Earth.

A boy or tween cannot access or use his own boy magic. One of the physiological changes that occur upon adulthood provides a path for releasing this magic, and an adult can use his own boy magic.

tween: A male older than a boy and younger than an adult. A tween is normally accorded all rights, privileges, and obligations of an adult. Physical changes that accompany the transition from boy to tween include a deepening of the voice, narrowing of the waist, development of more defined musculature and loss of