Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Cumbre Vieja in Popular Mechanics

Our favorite volcanic character in "Changing Lanes" has a special cameo appearance in a Popular Mechanics article today! (I've linked to the page, but it's a couple of paragraphs from the top, in the section about the 80 foot high tsunami heading for the East Coast)

The article's name is "5 natural disasters heading for the United States". Read the bit about Cumbre Vieja, it's very informative.

:)

Edit to add: A note to MikeL: Your Amphibiousness, please note that if this did occur, a lot of land would get wet, and frogs like it wet, right? See? Nothing to worry about. :)

Our favorite volcanic character in "Changing Lanes" has a special cameo appearance in a Popular Mechanics article today! (I've linked to the page, but it's a couple of paragraphs from the top, in the section about the 80 foot high tsunami heading for the East Coast)

The article's name is "5 natural disasters heading for the United States". Read the bit about Cumbre Vieja, it's very informative.

:)

I checked it out a few weeks ago also because curiosity got the best of me. A few years ago some delegates or what ever you wanna call them came to my little island looking for heirs of some properties in one of the islands. I didn't know any of this until they were long gone but they were looking for my family of all people!!! My grandmother knew they were looking for her but kept quiet not knowing what would happen if they found us (the family), not knowing if the property/land owed an inmense amnt. of taxes, what conditions the prop. was in, how much land, etc. I did a google earth search and trust me, we ain't missing much!!! There are so many volcanoes there I know I wouldn't want to live anywhere near them!

The report you posted is quite interesting indeed!!

~Rush~

Edit to add: A note to MikeL: Your Amphibiousness, please note that if this did occur, a lot of land would get wet, and frogs like it wet, right? See? Nothing to worry about. :)

I don't mind the wet, Cliff. I do feel sorry for people on the east coast if that ever does happen. But frogs? No big deal. I must also say that I am concerned about your plans to climb Cumbre Vieja. I hope your goat feet get you out of there in time.

I was more interested in the second disaster Popular Mechanics had on its list. My hometown, Memphis, lies on the New Madrid fault and I have heard all my life about how devastating a quake there could be...bigger than the big one in California. Lot of frog family there. The written record of the 1811-1812 quake, from the very few who lived there at the time, is really scary:

I happened to be passing in its neighborhood where the principal shock took place... the water that had filled the lower cavities. . . rushed out in all quarters, bringing with it an enormous quantity of carbonized wood.. . which was ejected to the height of from ten to fifteen feet, and fell in a black shower, mixed with the sand which its rapid motion had forced along; at the same time, the roaring and whistling produced by the impetuosity of the air escaping from its confinement, seemed to increase the horrible disorder of the trees which everywhere encountered each other, being blown up cracking and splitting, and failing by thousands at a time. In the mean time, the surface was sinking and a black liquid was rising up to the belly of my horse, who stood motionless, struck with a panic of terror. . . . . These occurrences occupied nearly two minutes; the trees, shaken in their foundation, kept failing here and there, and the whole surface of the country remained covered with holes, which... resembled so many craters of volcanics...

... my [vehicle] suddenly began to rock in a most dangerous fashion ... As the rocking ceased, water spouts, hundreds of them throwing water and sand were to be observed on the whole face of the country, the sand forming miniature volcanoes, whilst the water spouted out of the craters; some of the spouts were quite six feet high... In a few minutes, on both sides of the road as far as the eye could see, was vast expanse of sand and water, water and sand. The road spouted water, and wide openings were to be seen across it ahead of me, then under me, and my [vehicle] sank while the water and sand bubbled, and spat and sucked till my axles were covered. 'Abandon ship' was quickly obeyed, and my man and I stepped into knee deep hot water and sand and made for shore.

... about sunrise another very severe one came on, attended with a perpendicular bouncing that cause the earth to open in many places... the deepest I saw was about twelve feet. The earth was, in the course of fifteen minutes after the shock... entirely inundated with water. The pressing of the earth, if the expression be allowable, caused the water to spout out of the pores of the earth, to the height of eight or ten feet! The agitation of the earth was so great that it was with difficulty any could stand on their feet, some could not. The air was strongly impregnated with a sulphurous smell.

The New Madrid Fault System

I checked it out a few weeks ago also because curiosity got the best of me. A few years ago some delegates or what ever you wanna call them came to my little island looking for heirs of some properties in one of the islands. I didn't know any of this until they were long gone but they were looking for my family of all people!!! My grandmother knew they were looking for her but kept quiet not knowing what would happen if they found us (the family), not knowing if the property/land owed an inmense amnt. of taxes, what conditions the prop. was in, how much land, etc. I did a google earth search and trust me, we ain't missing much!!! There are so many volcanoes there I know I wouldn't want to live anywhere near them!

The report you posted is quite interesting indeed!!

~Rush~

Hi Rush,

They can't come after you for the debts of others; the worst they can do is take the property. I'd strongly suggest looking into this, PROVIDED it's not a scam. If there is really property, then it may be very valuable; land in the Canary islands is much sought after by Europeans, mainly for the climate.

Anyway, that's just my two cent's worth, though I'm very concerned that they came looking for you; that seems to indicate a scam IMHO, but one never knows.

Good luck!!

CJ :)

I don't mind the wet, Cliff. I do feel sorry for people on the east coast if that ever does happen. But frogs? No big deal. I must also say that I am concerned about your plans to climb Cumbre Vieja. I hope your goat feet get you out of there in time.

I was more interested in the second disaster Popular Mechanics had on its list. My hometown, Memphis, lies on the New Madrid fault and I have heard all my life about how devastating a quake there could be...bigger than the big one in California. Lot of frog family there. The written record of the 1811-1812 quake, from the very few who lived there at the time, is really scary:

The New Madrid Fault System

I'm unlikly to climb Cumbre Vieja; you can drive to its long, shallow summit. I do plan on doing that, though. :) . Nope, it's a couple of other volcanos I plan on climbing, much steeper ones, with no other way up.

Agreed abotu the New Madrid quake.. a repeat of that would be a disaster.

Hmm, how fascinating, disconcerting and fascinating.

You didn't think I was making the story up, did ya? :P

Hi Rush,

They can't come after you for the debts of others; the worst they can do is take the property. I'd strongly suggest looking into this, PROVIDED it's not a scam. If there is really property, then it may be very valuable; land in the Canary islands is much sought after by Europeans, mainly for the climate.

Anyway, that's just my two cent's worth, though I'm very concerned that they came looking for you; that seems to indicate a scam IMHO, but one never knows.

Good luck!!

CJ :)

Gotcha! Since this happened several years ago (can't remember exactly how many) neither member of the family is really interested in finding out if the search was legit or not. Myself? I could care less either, I'm pretty sure that if it was legit and neither member of the fam. showed up (I believe they have to put something on the newspaper for however many weeks in a row?) the govt. most probably took posession of it. Thanks for the info though. Well appreciated!! I should do a genealogy investigation and see where exactly I can place the last name. It's a very weird name I have only heard once, in our fam.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..