Introduction

Kaanya

Hello everybody, I know newcomers shouldn't exactly start off with things They dont like. It kina leaves a bad 1st impression.

I feel though its important to be true to oneself, People should know me for who I am, then have the liberty of assessing me instead of trying to understand me through a Hi\Hello message. I understand getting to know people takes time, and nobody really has a unidimensional personality. So here it is, I'm new here, the many options at GA can be very confusing, and ya, whoever coined the term "newbie" for new members of GA, I have an earnest request to make to you: please tell me Why did you not choose any other term? This one phonetically sounds like "a new acquisition" instead of a pleasant addition to the group. Please take no offence fellow members, these are simply my personal views.

The best part is, I'm uber-happy to be a part of such a "community" (as somebody put it); that has such a diverse and creative membership.

Thank you very much for having me here.

Hi Newbie :D:lol::P ......

One thing you have to understand : we are perhaps a community, but we are certainly a tribe, with its "entry"-rules and its traditions.

The denomination "Newbie" for new members just means that you have not yet fulfilled all the conditions to become a member (f.i. posted at least 5 posts in forums) :blink: . Give a look to the members-list and the rules, you will understand what I mean.

BTW, welcome to our tribe, I hope you will enjoy to participate, as you allready made with your post :worship: .

• Site Moderator

Welcome, Kaanya. As site owner myself, I can tell you that what you are talking about is the default setting in the forum software and it changes after the default setting of 10 posts. It is changeable, but most site owners don't change it. Sometimes, after a certain number of posts, members can be allowed to change it.

relax kid.

if they put up with me shedding all over the furniture, you've got nothing to worry about.

Well Mr. Beast Thanx for the moral uplift but see the problem is, I have a default setting\ a structural flaw, if you wana call it that, of having violent "Power Surges" if anybody attempts to brand me in anyway. I'm a human being, not a product. :D

But i guess you made your point, Thanx agn! :P

Sir_Galahad,

first impressions are critical, but I assure you I'm a very peaceful person, but ya I do call a spade a spade.

But maybe your one-liner does describe one aspect of me.

Thank you for your acknowledgement.

'old bob',

please do not be too harsh on me :blink:

I understand the "rite of passage" e.t.c are important steps to initiation. I'm all for it. Somehow I cannot digest the idea of "hazing". Thought cannot really be graded. Since everyone here in GA come across to me as thinking individuals, I believe all of us understands the value of the thinking\reasoning mind. Sadly though in the planet we call earth, the numbers of such minds are going dangerously low of late. Besides dont we already have enough "straight" people judging us for what we are, out in the world?

(personally I believe such people are the really crooked ones).

Anyway, I remember this wonderful quotation that came along with Sir_Galahad's message. WE do have very few religion actually being practiced that teaches us to love each other.

Allow me to do my part, Thank you for the wonderfully warm welcome message. Glad to be part of the clan. Please take no offense, for none is intended :D

Welcome, Kaanya. As site owner myself, I can tell you that what you are talking about is the default setting in the forum software and it changes after the default setting of 10 posts. It is changeable, but most site owners don't change it. Sometimes, after a certain number of posts, members can be allowed to change it.

Thank you so very much for the clarification else I believe "old bob" and I would have been with locked horns for quite some time, :2hands: him being an elder member, he would definitely be having the upper hand but I wouldn have given up till he beat me through application of pure logic, explaining why exactly I should be any less than him :devil: . It'll take me time to get to know all these details by myself.

It feels great to be be a part of this family :great: . I'll definitely go through the links you mentioned.

You're called newbie because we own you! LET THE HAZING BEGIN!! Now go get me a beer, newbie.

Hehe I'm just teasing you. Post a few times and the newbie status will change to member. *starts chanting "One of us... one of us... one of us..."*

You're called newbie because we own you! LET THE HAZING BEGIN!! Now go get me a beer, newbie.

Self service dearest, is the best service out there. :wub: Puns intended! LoL :lol:

Thanks 4 d info. This is my tenth post. All for you my Lord!

But then I'd bow only to the Dark Lord "L" :2thumbs:

Self service dearest, is the best service out there. :wub: Puns intended! LoL :lol:

Thanks 4 d info. This is my tenth post. All for you my Lord!

But then I'd bow only to the Dark Lord "L" :2thumbs:

Welcome to the group, "Member". :P

Welcome. And please do not either be put off or glorified by labels. It's human nature to label. However, you, as all of us, are unique. We label only to help us cope with the incredible diversity (and I don't mean that in the contemporary PC way) that we each represent. Really, not in the contemporaneous PC sense.

The GA site has a wonderful variety (see, not diversity, variety) or people who are warm, friendly, and talented., amd willing to share their experience, understanding, and knowledge. I have found some great friends here; I hope and expect that you will, too.

Whether you want to be a reader, writer, editor, reviewer, or ... well...whatever...welcome.

Oh, and if you want a quick look at the site, check out the Spring Anthology stories.

Edited by David McLeod

Welcome new member, the 'stigma' of newbie is applied to all in the beginning so no worries!! Besides no one actually called you a newbie, it is just attached to your sig, until after a few posts.

Speaking of posting, I thought now might be a good time to clarify one of the forum posting policies :)

Technically speaking it's against our spamming policy for members to make multiple, consecutive posts within the same thread. It tends to make the threads more unwieldy and confusing, especially over time and with everyone doing it. :)

However, responding to other posters' points is definitely encouraged! A good option then when you have multiple people to whom you would like to respond, is to go through and click the "quote' button below each person's post. The button will become red to let you know that it is selected. Once you're done, just click "Add Reply" at the bottom of the page and you'll be able to respond to everyone in one post!

Actually, there's a ten quote limit (built into the software and board settings), so it'll give you an error message if you try to quote more than 10 posts. If that occurs, then by all means go ahead and make a consecutive post with the remaining quotes. We'll definitely turn a blind eye to that :) (assuming of course that posts are productive and appropriate in the first place, which I'm sure would be the case :) )

Just a little tip since you are new to the community.

Regarding your general objection to the term "Newbie", personally I'm inclined to agree with you in that I don't like the term and connotations it implies either. I'd personally prefer the longer term "New Member." However, "Newbie" is quite common and accepted, and not meant maliciously, so I think our objections are more personal and strictly semantic in nature :)

Anyway, I'm fortunate; they rarely refer to me as a newbie around here anymore 0:)

Congrats on your first ten posts, Kaanya, and welcome to the board! :2thumbs:

-Kevin

• Site Administrator
LOL! Used to way back when, but I'm a born again Post Virgin now :boy:

*cough cough*

Welcome. And please do not either be put off or glorified by labels. It's human nature to label. However, you, as all of us, are unique. We label only to help us cope with the incredible diversity (and I don't mean that in the contemporary PC way) that we each represent. Really, not in the contemporaneous PC sense.

The GA site has a wonderful variety (see, not diversity, variety) or people who are warm, friendly, and talented., amd willing to share their experience, understanding, and knowledge. I have found some great friends here; I hope and expect that you will, too.

Whether you want to be a reader, writer, editor, reviewer, or ... well...whatever...welcome.

Oh, and if you want a quick look at the site, check out the Spring Anthology stories.

thank you david!

Speaking of posting, I thought now might be a good time to clarify one of the forum posting policies :)

Technically speaking it's against our spamming policy for members to make multiple, consecutive posts within the same thread. It tends to make the threads more unwieldy and confusing, especially over time and with everyone doing it. :)

However, responding to other posters' points is definitely encouraged! A good option then when you have multiple people to whom you would like to respond, is to go through and click the "quote' button below each person's post. The button will become red to let you know that it is selected. Once you're done, just click "Add Reply" at the bottom of the page and you'll be able to respond to everyone in one post!

Actually, there's a ten quote limit (built into the software and board settings), so it'll give you an error message if you try to quote more than 10 posts. If that occurs, then by all means go ahead and make a consecutive post with the remaining quotes. We'll definitely turn a blind eye to that :) (assuming of course that posts are productive and appropriate in the first place, which I'm sure would be the case :) )

Just a little tip since you are new to the community.

Regarding your general objection to the term "Newbie", personally I'm inclined to agree with you in that I don't like the term and connotations it implies either. I'd personally prefer the longer term "New Member." However, "Newbie" is quite common and accepted, and not meant maliciously, so I think our objections are more personal and strictly semantic in nature :)

Anyway, I'm fortunate; they rarely refer to me as a newbie around here anymore 0:)

Congrats on your first ten posts, Kaanya, and welcome to the board! :2thumbs:

-Kevin

Thanks kevin, I hope this works, I'm posting this just as you'v mentioned

Welcome...welcome glad to have you here

Thank you, BTW storm is my most favorite of all x-men characters. well atleast as far as her abilities go!

Edited by Kaanya