Computer issue

Tiger

For some reason, AVG anti-virus is not fully functional on my computer. Apparently, the resident shield, the component that scans online files is not working properly. I have done a few things to try to fix this issue. First, I created a new Windows account. That didn't work. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. What can I do to fix the problem? Anyone with a high level of computer knowledge would be most helpful.

• Site Administrator
You wouldn't happen to have Windows Vista on your PC by any chance?

Yes I do.

That was my thought, too. The laptop at home with Vista has this same problem. I just restart AVG manually. I haven't tried looking for a fix.

The problem is with Vista, not AVG, though, because none of the other machines with AVG have a problem. Of course, you could argue that AVG needs to do whatever it has to, to stop Vista from not letting it start, but it's easier to blame the operating system :P

Hmmm... I had the same problem with AVG and vista on my desktop. The nearest I could figure out was that it had something to do with access controls and permissions and such. So, I uninstalled Vista and went with Norton 360 trial to test it out.

AVG also provides a searchable section for FAQ's here:

http://www.avg.com/support

I know I didn't provide a good answer, but the FAQ's could provide an insight and workaround for your problems.

Eric :)

AVG do have serious probs with Vista. I have Norton on both of mine and it runs perfectly, got it for a bargain on ebay. :D

Oh, don't get Panda if you do change, I had a few issues with downloads I couldn't resolve. Ain't Vista grand?!

• Site Administrator
For some reason, AVG anti-virus is not fully functional on my computer. Apparently, the resident shield, the component that scans online files is not working properly. I have done a few things to try to fix this issue. First, I created a new Windows account. That didn't work. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. What can I do to fix the problem? Anyone with a high level of computer knowledge would be most helpful.

I just had Vista's Windows Defender report that AVG wasn't turned on. This time, I went to the AVG console and it reported that everything was fine. I suspect it's a timing issue -- the Windows Defender is checking if the AVG is running before the AVG has finished starting up.

In other words, if the AVG icon is in the taskbar tray, or if you can see the avgtray.exe process in Task Manager, then ignore it....