I hope hes okay...

I've never heard that from the Western countries, people here definitly don't come close to dying.

Look I said before ... nothing more then a bit of fever and a cough up here. :-)

Swine flu is dangerous and strange in that it affects healthy, younger people. It can be very dangerous, but it generally mild.

Since it is a virus, there is no cure-all. Antivirals can be given to the patient, usually with a moderate success rate. With treatment at a hospital one should not die of Influenza A H1N1, and he did not. However it doesn't mean that one cannot die. People have died in the United States from it, and many more in Mexico.

Also, many people in developed countries die from other types of Influenza every year. Influenza is never a joke and it can always kill.

While the virus appears to be mild in the majority of infected areas it will certainly stike down the young and old. THe vast majority of deaths have been from those with underlying health issues. I know that I was on the brink of complete physical and mental exhaustion when I was hit so it's really no surprise that I was in a severe condition.

As a virus, H1N1 is freely mutating as we speak. What appeared in Mexico is genetically different to what spread to the US. The strain that made its way here is obviously different from Mexico and the US, therefore also certainly a different strain to what has appeared in your area Gay_In_Flanders.

While the virus appears to be mild in the majority of infected areas it will certainly stike down the young and old. THe vast majority of deaths have been from those with underlying health issues. I know that I was on the brink of complete physical and mental exhaustion when I was hit so it's really no surprise that I was in a severe condition.

As a virus, H1N1 is freely mutating as we speak. What appeared in Mexico is genetically different to what spread to the US. The strain that made its way here is obviously different from Mexico and the US, therefore also certainly a different strain to what has appeared in your area Gay_In_Flanders.

There have been over 300 deaths in the UK and many of them were young healthy people. On the other hand some elderly and apparently weak people have had only a mild dose.... eh well.

Glad you are better. If you were pushing yourself too hard before then maybe it was the universe's way of telling you it's time to slow down and look after yourself better....or else. I hope you get the time and space to do just that from now on smile.gif

Take care of yourself.

• 2 months later...