more computer help.

i have a new digital camera which takes videos with sound (as opposed to my old one which didn't) but they're in .mov format which this operating system (windows xp, service pack 1. rare, i know) won't read.

i was planning on posting some things in my blog...

and now i can't because i can't see them or post them to youtube.

so...

if anyone knows where i can download (for free, of course) a good converter so i can have my video files in .avi or .wmv or anything else that would work... do share!

i have a new digital camera which takes videos with sound (as opposed to my old one which didn't) but they're in .mov format which this operating system (windows xp, service pack 1. rare, i know) won't read.

i was planning on posting some things in my blog...

and now i can't because i can't see them or post them to youtube.

so...

if anyone knows where i can download (for free, of course) a good converter so i can have my video files in .avi or .wmv or anything else that would work... do share!

hi,

actually what you need is a player, the .mov file is a quicktime (Apple) format.

"Common multimedia format often used for saving movies and other video files; uses a proprietary compression algorithm developed by Apple Computer; compatible with both Macintosh and Windows platforms."

just download the free Quicktime player for your particular OS

(thing I don't like about Quicktime is the hard sell they used to have, wanted you to upgrade to the *pro* version for a price.)

the free player works just fine.

free conversion programs are out there as well, just google mov to avi or something similar

check this out from CNET

http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free-MOV-to-AVI-Converter/3000-2194_4-10798308.html

good luck

Edited by aikirangel

Quicktime can't really convert anything, though, it can just play them, and I think it's clunky to post stuff to the web in .mov format because you can't really control file sizes or anything.

What you are looking to do is "transcode" your .mov video to another format, like flv (youtube) or mp4 (aka h.264 - iphone).

Without trying it (I'm downloading it to play with it though), this one looks pretty decent and pretty easy (also free):

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html - the download page is here: http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

Looks fairly straightforward, but make sure you click the little radio button in the upper right to the top one, so the screen reads "select the output container" instead of muxing.

Then you set the output file type you want and drag the mov file onto the window, and it converts it.