Coyote Confessions by Kalen

Hey guys, thanks for the overwhelming responses to Shades of Adrian Gray so far. I just started a new story in efiction called 'Coyote Confessions.' It's not nearly as depressing as Shades, so hopefully anyone put off by the angst in that will find this more to their liking. It'll run twelve chapters and can be found here.

Set in modern day New Mexico, Coyote Confessions is the story of a young teenage shape shifter's quest for identity, love, and all the other things that make the earth go round. What's in a name when you don't know where your's came from? What do age and experience mean when you can be any age you want? Do words like gay, straight or bi have any meaning when you can be either gender, and how do you know which is really you?

What would you be, if you could be anything you want?

• Like 1

very interesting concept.

I am loving the story. It is so full of symbolism and heavy with emotion even though it is not vocalised in so many words. I like angst and I like tortured emotion and pain... but I like beauty too, and simplicity of line, both of which this story has.

Looking forward to learning more about the character especially as he learns more about himself. In a way any of us can be who and what we want to be... we have the power to shape ourselves and in some ways out lives are a journey of discovery to do just that.

Gah, I kinda love you for picking up on that. It pretty much is the impetus for the story, as being bisexual myself and having a very strong aversion to labels, the character and story grew out of my contemplating how different all our lives would be without society's constant attempts to fit square pegs into round holes. How much of our lives are wasted worrying about what it says about us if we like a certain person, or what'll happen if we don't go to the right college or pick the right career? It's kinda funny, but the thing that kept me in denial for so long as a teenager wasn't that I was attracted to guys, but that I was still attracted to girls in spite of that. Like, how could I really be gay when girls turned me on? Everyone knows its either one or the other, right? Imagine my shock when I finally realized that being bi isn't about being half gay, or almost straight, but about being BOTH gay AND straight, in a way. Bi = two, not half. Its confusion like that that makes me think that one of our biggest problems as a society is that we worry so much about defining everything instead of just letting people be. It actually ties into another very big theme of the story, about the importance of science and having all the answers in our society, but I'll let that one be for now, as it has a lot more to do with Coyote and his need to know what he is and where he comes from, stuff that'll come up more later.

I'm always banging on about labels. I think it's a matter of perspective. The labels we choose for ourselves are fine... they are what we choose to define ourselves with and they are fluid and change as we do. It's the labels that are imposed from the outside that cause all the problems.

So far we have only seen Coyote from the inside so to speak. He is struggling a little with the labels he wants for himself and it is going to be interesting to see what he does when the pressure starts to come from the outside.

Great story.