Message Board Topic 12/7

Comsie

With so many stories circulating online, some good...some...not so much...there has to be a selection process when it comes to what we want to read. Maybe we get drawn in by a catchy title, or by the name of a certain author, or maybe you just toss a dart at the virtual dartboard and see if you got lucky. Whatever it is, once you open a page, you want to see if you can find a good story within.

However...sometimes, while you're reading...you come across something that makes you wonder whether or not you made a bad choice. Something that makes you hit the back button before you even get too far into the story and resume your search for something better. What is that 'certain something' that sends you running when your read a story online?

Is it the language? The subject matter? Maybe the dialogue, or just a boring amount of detail? Is it a lengthy disclaimer at the beginning, or a hard to read format? What is it that completely 'ruins' a story for you, and makes you stop before you even really get started? Let us know!

I can get put off by really bad grammar but generally my feeling is that grammar is just the clothing which wraps the story and if the story is strong and beautiful I don't care about the clothing too much.

Sterile description and stilted unrealistic conversation can get to me too unless the story is gripping. Over floury or complex language can be a turn off too as well as stories which just don't 'scan'. But again all this just makes a story harder to read and makes me try less hard to like it.

I would say the one biggest turn off for me is that there is no basic story, nothing happening, nothing building no characterisation, nothing to care about or look forward to.

There are stories on GA and everywhere, even books on the shelves, which are well written with perfect grammar, reasonable dialogue and an okay 'flow' but go nowhere. They are... frankly boring.

Edited by Nephylim

It's a question of personal taste, I think. I'm not so fond of school stories, for instance. I just can't get into them. I'm too old probably. And I don't like very long chapters. I stop reading them, unless the story really fascinates me. I just lack the patience.

What really puts me off a story is when a charecter simply walks up to a complete stranger, says something and suddenly they're best friends or partners or something. it might happen i guess, i just cant relate to it at all.

Edited by Shadie8

Signs of a stinker

[*]starts with main character waking up

[*]shit, shower and shave details

[*]overtly political tone for an orgy story

[*]WAY TOO MUCH SEX that does not advance the plot

[*]clich

• Like 2