Message Board Topic 1/25

Comsie

Have you ever seen a story that a writer has already written from beginning to end, that's already complete and tells a great story...but then suddenly gets a 'sequel' later on?

Like maybe there's just a bit more story to tell? Maybe the characters were so well loved by their readers, that the author decided to bring them back and continue on. It could pick up right where the last one left off...or maybe there's been a big lapse since the last chapter. Like from high school stories to...'the college years', or something similar. Whatever the reason, sometimes an author can go back and add on to a story that has already been finished.

What do you guys think about this? Should these stories be given a sequel? I know some people who actually avoid sequels like the plague, and for good reason after many bad experiences with them. Is it possible to ruin a story that was fine like it was? Or can a skilled writer actually add to an original and make it just as good, if not better, than the first one? Would you ever think of going back to an earlier story to make one? Let us know what you think!

I've seen them.

The best of the lot is the Eggman's A New Life and Life Goes On.

It works because the characterization is so well done, consistent and believable.

None of the characters inexplicably smokes crack, becomes a bank robber or checks into a Mormon st8 camp.

I think that sometimes a sequel can even be better than the original. But it depends. There are some sequels I've read that were just lame, but there could be some out there that are really good. Haven't found one lately, though.

Hmmm i'm hoping a sequel can be an improvement on an original story.

I'm in the process of planning a sequel to one of my stories which takes the current characters and develops them more thoroughly.

If a sequel is written then it should be an improvement because the writer knows the characters really well :D

I'm with you there. I am currently working on a story that is the fourth in a trilogy.. yes I know :) Each story is absolutely separate and distinct, stands alone and separate but plugs into a central theme. In the final, fourth book all the characters come together and the whole series comes together in a climax. I know that's confusing... it was originally going to be three stories and I wrote the first two then got stuck half way thorough the third. I just couldn't get more than half way. Now I know... because there's another one which needs to be written before it can be integrated into the last one. Wish me luck :)