Meeting Green was like meeting an alien from another planet.

Green was brought up in a family that he never doubted would love him if he was gay. He went to a school where it was never an issue. He had friends that didn't think it mattered.

To me coming from my bunker deep in the heart of the bible belt, that made quite an impression.

It made me wonder what my life would have been like if I had more acceptance and less punishment. It made me wonder what I would have done or been if I didn't think that I had to accept my 3rd and 4th choices. It made me wonder who I would have become if I hadn't had to waste so much energy over shame, guilt and confusion.

While meeting and get to knowing Green made me question myself, I never begrudged him that he was growing up in a different time.

You see- I was a begonia growing in a desert. The dry, sunny conditions stunted my growth.

Green was a begonia in a rain forest: he thrived and grew in ways that I could only imagine.

I miss chatting with him. He was challenging, bright, quick witted and gentle natured.

It saddens me that he was taken from us all too soon by something as random as a car accident.

Those who do remember, smile because you have to remember his wit. Those who never had the pleasure... wear your seat belts.

begonia.jpg