Web Design/Building Help

So my university that I attend does not offer web design/ computer classes. Well they do, but only computer science majors can take those classes and since I'm an art major I'm banned from taking those classes. No hard feelings, since art classes are only art majors only. I am interested in reading books on how to understand and build a website. I am currently learning how to use Photoshop for art stuff and figure I can deisgn my own web templates. So I want to know how to create a web template basically, like inputting my own art in and creating buttons and linking pages, etc... is there a good website or book anyone can recommend? To get a grasp on my level of understanding, I'm beginner. I have designs done ready to be in be inputted into "web format," but I'm stuck on huh? How? So beginner and clueless... any help?

So my university that I attend does not offer web design/ computer classes. Well they do, but only computer science majors can take those classes and since I'm an art major I'm banned from taking those classes. No hard feelings, since art classes are only art majors only. I am interested in reading books on how to understand and build a website. I am currently learning how to use Photoshop for art stuff and figure I can design my own web templates. So I want to know how to create a web template basically, like inputting my own art in and creating buttons and linking pages, etc... is there a good website or book anyone can recommend? To get a grasp on my level of understanding, I'm beginner. I have designs done ready to be in be inputted into "web format," but I'm stuck on huh? How? So beginner and clueless... any help?

OK, you need to do this now, so taking a semester-long intro to web design course sounds like it wouldn't work for you. So, for something simple that will guide you through the steps for building a straight-forward website, Serif has WebPlus 10 for $19.99, and a usable WebPlus SE trial version (it limits your website to 10 pages) for free. They also have a pro version for $99.99. You can try out the free SE version and it might even do the job for you. The Serif WebPlus site is at http://www.freeserifsoftware.com -- click on the WebPlus link.

I assume that since you said that your designs have to be put into "web format" that you'll be turning in your website files and won't have to put them up on a hosting service yourself. If you have to arrange for finding a hosting service for your site, there are a lot of free hosting services, many of them not so good. One that doesn't put ads on your pages and lets you choose a domain name for your site is XtreemHost at http://xtreemhost.com. A friend of mine put a site he needed for his photography course on XtreemHost and said it work out well for him.

Note: I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Flash for web development. I'm not associated with either of these companies. I do own a copy of Serif WebPlus X4 (the pro version), but I've never used the lower-end versions. I've never used XtreemHost's services. As with anything you buy, educate yourself and remember it's always buyer beware.

Colin B)