Can anyone truly fathom the depths of being alone?

I guess not if you've never been in that state before.

The seemingly endless days of being by yourself,

Trapped in your own small, senseless sanity.

Has anyone truly been happy alone, I wonder.

If I ask a hermit, what do you think he'll say?

Or would my presence affect him somehow,

His monotonous loneliness broken.

If people were meant to be together,

Why are there people alone?

Me and you, you and me as one,

Will this be just thoughts forever?

I believe people can be happy alone,

But then there are days when happiness is just an act.

You laugh and dance and shout: I'm alive!

Only to be suddenly sucked into emptiness.

People alone keep themselves busy,

Occupying themselves with needless distractions

And a whole bunch of complete foolishness.

But when all's said and done, they're all alone.

Hey Jian,

This poem made me think quite a bit. See, even surrounded by people, I sometimes feel very alone. And it's odd because sometimes I feel lonely about it--that is I don't want to feel that way, but at other times, I relish it--because I love to live in my head and in my imagination.

Often I will be invited out to do something(it's not like people don't care) it's just I don't care for other people's company. I find it tired, tedious in fact. FAKE. And it's not a reflection on who they are as people, but that there is no connection there. Nothing that inspires me to try harder with them. (Possibly it's because I feel somewhat inferior to them--while I love to laugh at stupid silly things (examples mags, or chic flicks, or mainstream best seller lit)--they are the really smart types that look down on such behavior/things--I hate to put up a front just to please them--it's just not real. So I do my best to avoid them.)

AND YET, I miss those that I do have that connection with--that's when the alone-ness--turns into loneliness. It's sort of like a grieving process in those moments.

Hmmmm... I don't know if any of that made any sense. I just wanted to let you know that your poem was thought provoking. So thanks for writing it.

:P Keep up the good work,

Anyta

• Like 2

the poem was wonderfu; Jian. And it made me think too. I like being alone. I like silence and stillness... BUT. I like them more when I have someone to go back to. When I am in a crowd I long for soitude and when I have the solitude I end up longing for the crowd. A paradox. As Anyta touched on I have never felt more alone anywhere than in a crowd

• Like 1

jian

This "Alone" of yours hit the two critical *buttons* that I use to determine whether or not I like a particular poem.

Number one is "This is interesting!"

Number two is if it brings tears to the eyes. This one did.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I hope I don't sound too eager but thank you guys for reading. I really appreciate it very much. I was a bit afraid that no one would care to read this one (can you tell how insecure I am about stuff that I wrote?) but you did so I am very grateful ;)

I don't wanna rant so to keep a long story short, I don't write poetry that much. But people here on GA have been very encouraging and supportive (thanks Mike and Sam) so I thought I'd give it a try once more. But when I wrote this particular piece, the intent wasn't for public consumption. It was more therapeutic. You see, I was feeling particularly alone when I wrote this one. But I'm fine now, it was just a passing thing.

Thanks once again.