Heading down to New Orleans

W_L

Just wondering if what I should do, when I go to New Orleans, Louisiana, and what I should avoid?

Any good gay traveling tips to the gateway of the South?

I am open to anything from tips to which places are better to hang out with gay guys to local food joints and secret surprises.

Wow. I haven't hung out down there since well before Katrina.

Do a search for New Orleans visitors guide. I think its online now.

Food tops the list- Creole style seafood is so awesome, many people stay. Prices vary. Look for a good place- not necessarily a touristy place.

Are you going for Madi Gras? Don't need to tell you- keep tabs on your wallet and which way the crowd is pulling you.

Do a search for the festival of Southern Decadence. This is the parties that Pat Robinson blamed Katrina for. Nuff said.

Do a search for gay guide New Orleans.

Pack condoms.

Better yet, pack a wet suit.

I've heard good stuff about New Orleans being the best place to go for a twenty year old looking for fun and excitement.

I love crawfish and gumbo, I can't wait to try a genuine New Orleans steamed crawfish with butter or the Alligator Gumbo.

I am going this long weekend in order to avoid the crowds and overpriced food around mardi gras. Also, it's the only place other than Florida that hasn't snowed or closed down due to ice storms :P I really want to get nice and warm, maybe a little hot and sexually uninhibited, too

(Yes, my boyfriend and I had an argument over some stuff, so who knows what could happen, maybe I could get swept away by a Southern gay gentlemen caller.)

(Yes, my boyfriend and I had an argument over some stuff, so who knows what could happen, maybe I could get swept away by a Southern gay gentlemen caller.)

You are entirely too romantic. Reminds me of The Glass Menagerie.

Better to enjoy the food and music.

You are entirely too romantic. Reminds me of The Glass Menagerie.

Better to enjoy the food and music.

One of my favorite plays, Tennessee Williams was great Southern Master, who crossed the border of ante-bellum society with gothic southern. A brutal tribute to harsh reality and even harsher truths of the modern financially unstable south of the early 20th century.

Still my dear friend, "I've always depended on the kindness of Strangers". Hopefully the world famous southern hospitality hasn't completely disappeared.

Probably will just go for the food, but I would mind meeting a few southern gay guys.

Hi W.L. I live in Louisiana, about 45 miles from New Orleans. If you are coming this weekend, bring a jacket. The temps should be in the mid-fifties. The old homes and antique shops along Magazine going toward the Zoo and the Boardwalk are a must if that interests you. There is a great riverboat ride from the Zoo to the Aquarium. When you say crawfish with butter maybe you are thinking of lobster? Crawfish is usually boiled with corn,onions,potatoes,garlic and sausage. They are not big like lobster, and believe me, you can't eat just one! Anyway they are not in season right now, but you can still get them. As for the night life, that I can't help you with. Most people try to stay away from N.O. after dark. But Burbon Street is a must. Stay where there are a lot of people. Don't go down alley ways or go off with anyone you don't trust. Please Please Please be careful and stay safe. New Orleans can be fun, but it can also be deadly.