Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Homoeroticism in the Bolitho novels?

I really enjoy Mr. Arbour's period naval gay fiction and was wondering if any readers have read the Richard Bolitho novels of Alexander Kent? I have, and every so often I got a very strong feeling that more was implied than was actually written. That feeling was especially present while reading Band of Brothers, set when Bolitho was a midshipman. I got similar feelings with some of O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series. Anyone else noticed this?

I really enjoy Mr. Arbour's period naval gay fiction and was wondering if any readers have read the Richard Bolitho novels of Alexander Kent? I have, and every so often I got a very strong feeling that more was implied than was actually written. That feeling was especially present while reading Band of Brothers, set when Bolitho was a midshipman. I got similar feelings with some of O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes! I am presently reading the Bolitho series and caught a hint of midshipman love with his friend Martyn (sp) whom he lost much too early, I thought. I've read a little background about the series and he does have a long lasting friendship with another but I can't remember his name or rank. By the way, this is a good series to read if you are into this era of naval history. I've also read a lot of the Patrick O'Brian books before I discovered the Mark Arbour series on line. Oh, yes...I have the complete set of Horatio Hornblower books too! I guess its a sad case of being an obsessive git, but I don't care! :wacko:

I think Mark's stories compare very well with all the others! :worship:

Yes! I am presently reading the Bolitho series and caught a hint of midshipman love with his friend Martyn (sp) whom he lost much too early, I thought. I've read a little background about the series and he does have a long lasting friendship with another but I can't remember his name or rank. By the way, this is a good series to read if you are into this era of naval history. I've also read a lot of the Patrick O'Brian books before I discovered the Mark Arbour series on line. Oh, yes...I have the complete set of Horatio Hornblower books too! I guess its a sad case of being an obsessive git, but I don't care! :wacko:

I think Mark's stories compare very well with all the others! :worship:

I think Mark's stories compare very favorably as well. I'm a college freshman, and don't have a great deal of time to read fiction other than what might be course material. My grandfather is the big naval fiction fan in our family, and I borrow books from his library. He too has the Hornblower books, and all the Kent and O'Brian novels. He also has a short series of books by Parkinson which I haven't read yet.

The other close relationship you mention might be Bolitho's long-serving coxswain John Allday. Allday doubles as Bolitho's conscience and sounding board. Bolitho had several officer friends with whom he was very close, and who died in action in the course of the wars. Of course his greatest friend was Thomas Herrick, whose closeness he lost over the Lady Somerville affaire. i've often wondedred what sexual adventures bolitho's nephew might have had in the midshipmans' berth when he came aboard at fourteen.

I've done a bit of boating and sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and so I understood most of the nautical terms in the novels before I began reading them. I found a book in grandad's library called The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships which cleared up all the questions I had.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Skip

I think Mark's stories compare very favorably as well. I'm a college freshman, and don't have a great deal of time to read fiction other than what might be course material. My grandfather is the big naval fiction fan in our family, and I borrow books from his library. He too has the Hornblower books, and all the Kent and O'Brian novels. He also has a short series of books by Parkinson which I haven't read yet.

The other close relationship you mention might be Bolitho's long-serving coxswain John Allday. Allday doubles as Bolitho's conscience and sounding board. Bolitho had several officer friends with whom he was very close, and who died in action in the course of the wars. Of course his greatest friend was Thomas Herrick, whose closeness he lost over the Lady Somerville affaire. i've often wondedred what sexual adventures bolitho's nephew might have had in the midshipmans' berth when he came aboard at fourteen.

I've done a bit of boating and sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and so I understood most of the nautical terms in the novels before I began reading them. I found a book in grandad's library called The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships which cleared up all the questions I had.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Skip

I've read Kent's books as well. I liked them, but I found Bolitho to be two-dimensional. He never lived for me like Hornblower did. I love the way CS Forester built quirkiness into Hornblower's character, something Kent didn't do (or at least not as well). You're right about the homoeroticism. I could never quite figure out if their behavior was hinting at an "unnatural liaison" or if Kent was just trying to illustrate the more flowery language of friendships of that era. Forester, IMHO, was much clearer about that. I thought he did a really nice job or portraying a touching, non-romantic relationship in "Flying Colours", showing how Bush responded to his attention when they were traveling in France.

Parkinson also wrote a "biography" of Hornblower, designed to augment the novels and fill in the blanks. Of course it's not Forester, it's just another author playing with his characters, but it's interesting if you're a Hornblower aficionado.

Your recommendation of The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships is excellent. Peter Goodwin wrote a comprehensive book on the subject, one that carries a lot of credibility since he was responsible for HMS Victory for quite some time. His book is more of a reference than a good read, as it tends to be pretty dry. One that I've used a lot for reference on HMS Belvidera is a book on frigates by Robert Gardiner. Again, a great reference book, but also a much more interesting read.

I've read Kent's books as well. I liked them, but I found Bolitho to be two-dimensional. He never lived for me like Hornblower did. I love the way CS Forester built quirkiness into Hornblower's character, something Kent didn't do (or at least not as well). You're right about the homoeroticism. I could never quite figure out if their behavior was hinting at an "unnatural liaison" or if Kent was just trying to illustrate the more flowery language of friendships of that era. Forester, IMHO, was much clearer about that. I thought he did a really nice job or portraying a touching, non-romantic relationship in "Flying Colours", showing how Bush responded to his attention when they were traveling in France.

Parkinson also wrote a "biography" of Hornblower, designed to augment the novels and fill in the blanks. Of course it's not Forester, it's just another author playing with his characters, but it's interesting if you're a Hornblower aficionado.

Your recommendation of The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships is excellent. Peter Goodwin wrote a comprehensive book on the subject, one that carries a lot of credibility since he was responsible for HMS Victory for quite some time. His book is more of a reference than a good read, as it tends to be pretty dry. One that I've used a lot for reference on HMS Belvidera is a book on frigates by Robert Gardiner. Again, a great reference book, but also a much more interesting read.

You haven't said anything about the O'Brian novels, which I think are too technical for a simpleton like me to follow sometimes, especially when he uses of-the-period english. There are a lot of terms used that I have to stop and look up if I want to understand what he's saying. Dr. Maturin uses even more. The battle sequences are good though, but some of the books I've read seem to go on and on about the details and that gets exhausting for my little ADD mind! :blink: :wacko:

I think I enjoy the Hornblower series the most, well...after Mr. Arbour's, of course!! :wub: :wub:

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted to this thread, and again I can only plead the work load at school, plus a bit of drama in the social life. I have a boyfriend! Whoo-hoo! He drives a dump truck and believe it or not, his name is George!

Anyway, regarding the dimensionality of Bolitho vs. Hornblower, my thoughts are the opposite of Mr. Arbour's. I found Hornblower's stiffness and remove to be a real stumbling block to getting to know him as a real character. i know that Forester wanted us to think of Hornblower as a man so insecure he needed to gird himself round with formality and distance, yet with a soft center. Unfortunately, for me at least, that soft center never got to full flower in any of the novels. On the other hand, we know almost too much about Bolitho and how he feels. Kent puts it all right out there. There have been times when reading Kent's books where I've wept at the emotions the characters are going through.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..