Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

I wonder

I have been doing some looking over the Prolouge. Something came to my attenton. Nowhere in that chapter doe it say the Ares sailed from Nassau. What it does say is Rachel sailed. Think about it, Would CJ ne devious enough to lead us all down th garden path from the git-go

He could be. It might also be that where she sailed from isn't really important, only that she sailed.

Ahhhh TalonRider…..I find your response ambiguous at best. My immediate thought is: are you doing so deliberately? You of course know for sure.

I have classified Circumnavigation as an Adventure/Mystery. In such a genre the author pits himself against the reader. By doings so, the author presents the facts and challenges the reader to solve the mystery before the conclusion of the narrative.

In my previous post I wrote that I had been reviewing the Prologue chapter. That declaration is correct. However, I did not say I was rereading all of the previously published chapters to date. While doing so, I began to see the conversations between Dirk and Jim take on a different manner. I began to see that whatever Dirk told Jim, convinced him to agree. Jim agreed the best course was to permit Trevor to continue on his intended course. In my review I am convinced the Dirk is really afraid of what Trevor might find.

Why? To keep Trevor away from Bimini.

It is my opinion the Ares did not sink on/or about May 19th, 1997. Based on that premise, Ares is not sitting on the bottom, waiting to be found at that location. Therefore, Trevor could not find Ares. Dirk is very worried about Trevor’s well being. Something Dirk knows that he is concerned about. Dirk is also waiting for the Statue of Limitations to expire. Trevor does not know about the Statue of Limitations. All Trevor knows is that Dirk has promised to tell him in December. Dirk has already attempted to get Trevor to agree to be in Australia in December. This was prior to the problems, which led Trevor to decide on making a circumnavigation. OK, Trevor is in Australia and the tale continues. If Trevor was in Australia, might he not be safer when Dirk opens up. Keeping in mind, Dirk does not know about Bridgets involment and plans.

Lets examine this Statue of Limitations business. Whatever offense was committed by Dirk was not a Capitol one. This rules out Murder. It also rules out Espionage and Treason. I had considered those because of the references to NASA in the Prologue. (BTW there was an actual launch on May 15th, 1997. One proof that CJ does his research.)

So, back to my original statement about you’re being ambiguous. All of us know that CJ is a sneak of the first water. (Meant as a compliment.) He will do everything possible to mislead his devoted readers. I was attempting to raise the issue that CJ did not state the Ares had sailed. What he wrote was that Rachel had sailed. Your comments use the pronoun “she.” “She” could refer to either Rachel or the Ares. Please for my edification, define for me, which you are referring to.

One other thing is jiggling in my mind. Sort of perking along. If you take into consideration the following established information:

a. The Ares had a major overhaul. This included new engines.

b. The Atlantis was purchased without having a name.

c. Bridget switches names on the Sea Witch like I change my socks. (No comments, please.)

d. Trevor could not get the Kookaburra above 10 knots, but recalls getting above 14 while out with his mother on the Ares.

e. Trevor was eight years of age when last he sailed with his mother on the Ares.

f. Trevor has gotten the Atlantis to 15 knots.

g. While the Ares did have an overhaul, nothing has been mentioned about Atlantis having one.

h. Atlantis may have belonged to Trevor when he was eight years of age, but, how old was he when he first captained her solo.

It is my opinion the CJ would do anything possible to misdirect his readers, including playing Musical Boats. While CJ doth protest adamantly he does not use cliffhangers, I, along with many others have out own opinions.

Edited by glsswm
  • Site Moderator

From the prologue we have this,

After the charter, Ares dropped the guests off at Nassau on schedule and Rachel filed a route plan to take her directly home. Rachel sailed from Nassau as the last rays of sunset glittered off the calm, azure seas.

I think in this case, most everyone assumed that to mean the Rachel was returning home on Ares. In my comment when I said she, I was referring to Rachel.

I think you could consider most of, if not all of, CJ's stories as adventure/mystery.

I can agree that CJ will do what he can to try and confuse the reader. Some of his clues can be obvious while others aren't and you have to go back.

From the prologue we have this,

I think in this case, most everyone assumed that to mean the Rachel was returning home on Ares. In my comment when I said she, I was referring to Rachel.

I think you could consider most of, if not all of, CJ's stories as adventure/mystery.

I can agree that CJ will do what he can to try and confuse the reader. Some of his clues can be obvious while others aren't and you have to go back.

TalonRiider,

Thank you for your clarification. I guess we will both find out when the narrative concludes.

Ahhhh TalonRider…..I find your response ambiguous at best. My immediate thought is: are you doing so deliberately? You of course know for sure.

No one knows the answer to most of the thoughts raised here. Well, rumor has it that I do, but no one else does. :)

This of course means that I can't comment on many of the points raised. I love them, but I dare not say anything. :)

I have classified Circumnavigation as an Adventure/Mystery. In such a genre the author pits himself against the reader. By doings so, the author presents the facts and challenges the reader to solve the mystery before the conclusion of the narrative.

That's the way I see it too. :)

Lets examine this Statue of Limitations business. Whatever offense was committed by Dirk was not a Capitol one. This rules out Murder. It also rules out Espionage and Treason. I had considered those because of the references to NASA in the Prologue. (BTW there was an actual launch on May 15th, 1997. One proof that CJ does his research.)

Thanks for noticing on the launch dates. :great:I was careful to get those right. Same with the position Rachel was at off Kennedy Space Center; that was as close as you could get, but those ranges no longer apply; after 9-11, they were increased significantly. I had one hell of a hard time finding what the actual rules were in 1997. :)

So, back to my original statement about you’re being ambiguous. All of us know that CJ is a sneak of the first water. (Meant as a compliment.) He will do everything possible to mislead his devoted readers.

Who? Sweet, innocent me? 0:)

It is my opinion the CJ would do anything possible to misdirect his readers, including playing Musical Boats. While CJ doth protest adamantly he does not use cliffhangers, I, along with many others have out own opinions.

ACK!! But but but... I never use cliffhangers! :blink:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..