Question....

zland666

Why in stories is ass spelled like arse? It especially doesn't make since when they use every other swear word in the book but they substitute that one, the mild compared too some spicy... Can some one explain please;)

Why in stories is ass spelled like arse? It especially doesn't make since when they use every other swear word in the book but they substitute that one, the mild compared too some spicy... Can some one explain please;)

'Arse' is the British spelling for the word 'ass'.

Arse is onomatopoeically more effective. It is also more accurate because it doesn't have the calculated ambivalence of ass (donkey type creature). It's one of those things that the US gets very uptight about, I think. Don't use a word which is the actual word. Just use one close to it and close your eyes and ears to the allusion. The US seems to want to be more 'polite' about it for some reason. Mind you, we're not exactly innocent of false innocence in the UK either. I mean Jings Crivvens for Jesus Christ, Jeepers Creepers (same), Bleedin Delilah for Bloody Hell, Flying Fig for f**king Damn, James Hunt for (work it out!), Bally for Bloody, etc etc etc :P

My granny was the worst. She hated 'pregnant', preferring 'expecting'. But when it came to 'f**king hell', she used 'buckie hoo' which sounds innocent enough, but the buckie part was for f**k, and the hoo part was for the Scottish pronunciation of whore ... hoor, as we say it. I am quite certain she did not get this, but instead had adopted it culturally from elsewhere, unthinking. She'd be mortified if she thought this had been the derivation!

My granny was the worst. She hated 'pregnant', preferring 'expecting'. But when it came to 'f**king hell', she used 'buckie hoo' which sounds innocent enough, but the buckie part was for f**k, and the hoo part was for the Scottish pronunciation of whore ... hoor, as we say it. I am quite certain she did not get this, but instead had adopted it culturally from elsewhere, unthinking. She'd be mortified if she thought this had been the derivation!

My grandma's favorite swear of choice back when I was 5 used to be cuntlapper. Until my mom told her what it meant then she denied ever saying it to her dying day. lol. So yeah I grew up with swearing so I kinda think it's stupid to fake censor swear words. They're just words. Totally meaningless.

But yeah I get the cultural difference thing. Personally I don't care either way unless someone who's obviously not British/Australian saying it. Arse just sounds weird when a midwesterner or a New Englander says it.

if ass= arse what do north americans call the small donkey-like animal? i.e that animal that in Australian/New Zealand/UK english is called an ass - the animal that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on ( I know he rode in on his arse - but his arse was on an ass)

if ass= arse what do north americans call the small donkey-like animal? i.e that animal that in Australian/New Zealand/UK english is called an ass - the animal that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on ( I know he rode in on his arse - but his arse was on an ass)

I assert that this is an assinine attempt to assuage the fears of the assimilators, and assuch it's in grave danger of being assilly a de-rail assome might assign the asscription. And I further assent to its asspect.

Fankoo :lmao:

• Like 2

I do agree that it is more accurate but when the rest of the story concludes of using FU*** and Bi*** and the whole other use of the swearing dictionary it seems silly to me to put ass as arse. when the rest of the story is just swearing up a storm.

When I use swear words I don't censor out some because to me it's just I don't know....SILLY!

Now I understand if your not swearing at all and you use Arse but come on do you see my point here?

I kind of think I see the point but I also think you've focussed in on only one aspect of what's been said.

Arse is the British word and ass is the American one. Being British I would alway use arse unless the story calls for ass, for example if the character is American or is using American slang or phrases etc.