Comicality Story Review 2/9

Comicality

"Feels Like Falling" By Jay Gordon

http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/highschool/feels-like-falling/

You know, this is one of those really awesome surprises that you just happen to stumble over at Nifty and it leaves you really impressed. I still have more reading to do before I'm caught up to the current chapter, but I have to admit that I'm truly 'charmed' by what I've read so far in the series.

The story follows the trials of main character, Paul, who made the mistake of developing a crush on a boy named Billy who lives down the street from him in the same neighborhood. A situation that led to Paul being outed to the whole school. However, in a rather clever turn of events...Billy is not the heartless bully that I expected him to be. Where I expected the story to follow the usual linear 'bully tries to break a boy's spirit, but he finds love elsewhere and rises above it' plot...it actually works to create a series of relationships that are MUCH more complex. And therefore much more interesting. As the chapters move forward, you learn more and more about what happened between these two boys, and then return to the present day to see how that conflict has evolved into something much different. The reasons and motivations behind Billy's harsh treatment end up inspiring a feeling of sympathy, and I didn't expect that at all.

Meanwhile, there are other well written additions to this story as well, all going on at once. I'm especially interested in the 'Jim' character, who adds a very cute and realistic element to the plot, and it pulls you in as he seems to be the sweetest mystery in all this. Something about the story makes you feel as though you're more than just a spectator to what's going on. You feel just as conflicted, embarrassed, and infatuated as Paul does. Something that always makes a story more enjoyable in my opinion. So kudos to Jay Gordon for really bringing that personal involvement across in his writing.

I won't give away any spoilers here, but I can tell you that you will be hooked by the end of the second chapter. They are the kind of characters that stick with you, and the relationships between them feel genuine. Not forced, or 'convenient'. They are all truly believably in action and dialogue.

Now, in the beginning, I was a little intimidated by the introduction of the characters. I think because I was trying to remember all of the names and who they were, and was worried that I would get mixed up as to who was who later on. But that could just be me. Also, there are flashbacks in the story, which are awesome because you get to see the history of Billy and Paul unfold little by little. But I'm not a fan of the actual words 'flashback' being put into the text. It can be difficult to cue a flashback or break away from the story to let the reader 'know' that it's a flashback...but it can still be a bit distracting. I wish I had a suggestion as to how get around that, but it's a little thing. So it's up to the author if he wants to change it or not.

Also, and I've been guilty of this myself in the past, so I've toned it down a lot over the last few years...but I think the author went a little overboard with the exclamation marks at the end of certain pieces of dialogue. Like, to introduce someone as a friend, or a simple joke being told. It wasn't really distracting, but I noticed. Like I said, it's mostly because I had to learn not to do that so much myself when I write. So my eyes catch it when I see it.

Other than that, I am truly impressed with this story, and I want to read more of it! If you're looking for a story with heart and believable characters and an interesting and emotionally complex plot that steps outside of the predictable norm..."Feels Like Falling" might be one gem that you'll enjoy! So check it out, and let the author know what you think.

I added the link to his series at Nifty, because he claims that this series is written 'live' (Meaning that it is completely unedited until he sends it out to Nifty or elsewhere), and I figured I'd post the edited version. But this story and his others can be found on his website, http://jaygordonstories.com so stop by!

• Sad 1