[NHL] Phoenix Coyotes's move

Rakuten06

Rumor has it the NHL is really unhappy with Quebec for making a big deal out of their new arena. All it does is shine an embarrassing spotlight on the NHL's inability to make some franchises work where they are. A lot of media writers who go to things like the GM meetings say they wouldn't be surprised if Seattle gets a team before Quebec, hoping to capitalize on the NBA's move away.

OMG, that newspaper article was so self-serving. Oh well, Mr. Cox has his opinion about things, and I have mine.

The main problem with the Coyotes attendance is that Jobing Arena is in the wrong place. They should have built it in the East Valley, somewhere near Tempe or Scottsdale. That's where the main fan base is, not on the West Side.

Rumor has it the NHL is really unhappy with Quebec for making a big deal out of their new arena. All it does is shine an embarrassing spotlight on the NHL's inability to make some franchises work where they are. A lot of media writers who go to things like the GM meetings say they wouldn't be surprised if Seattle gets a team before Quebec, hoping to capitalize on the NBA's move away.

That may work, but the issue with Seattle's status is that the owner who planned to build a new stadium won't break ground till he owns a NBA or NHL team before he will go ahead as part of the agreement with Seattle City Council. So in other words, Seattle is out for a while... so it's left to Quebec City and Kansas City.

Very interesting article from the website called Fansided: http://toomanymenont...he-should-move/

Edited by Rakuten06

• Site Administrator

I know Bettman is still pissed that he had to move Atlanta to Winnipeg. He was backed in a corner and he is still hell bent on making the NHL viable in the South.

I think Winnipeg was lucky to get the Thrashers myself, because Bettman was so against it. Even against the Board of Governors he was a loan wolf against another Canadian team. I think Seattle does have a better chance without an arena then Q.C. does with one.

The one thing he does have on his side, the players. They showed they weren't in favour of the Winnipeg addition by voting down league realignment.

I won't hold my breath.

I know Bettman is still pissed that he had to move Atlanta to Winnipeg. He was backed in a corner and he is still hell bent on making the NHL viable in the South.

I think Winnipeg was lucky to get the Thrashers myself, because Bettman was so against it. Even against the Board of Governors he was a loan wolf against another Canadian team. I think Seattle does have a better chance without an arena then Q.C. does with one.

The one thing he does have on his side, the players. They showed they weren't in favour of the Winnipeg addition by voting down league realignment.

I won't hold my breath.

The reason why the players rejected it is because it's too radical anyway... I propose a simple realignment proposal of my own:

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division:

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Atlantic Division:

New Jersey

Islanders

Rangers

Flyers

Penguins

Southeast Division:

Carolina

Florida

Tampa Bay

Washington

Nashville (from Central Division of Western Conference)

Western Conference:

Northwest Division:

Winnipeg (from Southeast Division of Eastern Conference)

Calgary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Vancouver

Central Division:

Chicago

St. Louis

Dallas (from Pacific Division)

Detroit

Columbus

Pacific Division:

Colorado (from Northwest Division)

Anaheim

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

As you see, only 4 changes to the league itself won't hurt anyway, but my realignment proposal may be tentative depending on whether Phoenix will relocate or not next season.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh no, not Quebec.

The Yote's need to move to Hamilton, Ontario.

We almost got the Penguins and the population is huge here with lots of hockey fans.

The Coyotes are in a dog eat dog world when it comes to the highly mobile nature of NHL franchises. We almost got the Devils to move to Nashville some years ago. No one New Jersey seemed to care for them until they surprised everyone by winning the Stanley Cup.