The Olympic Rotting Nest

hh5

It appears that no bird has nested after the games.

Its only open for ppl to take a tour of the place.

Posted Image

China hasn't created a long term plan with after Event clients

Is it a true statement that the Games are costly events for the hosting countries?

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/then-and-now-the-ghost-of-beijing-s-olympic-glory-S4vfbFLATPijNEZCnaJBPA.html

It seems stupid that each hosting country scraps the structures rather than using them as training grounds for their people

I thought that some countries re-use rather than dismantle so in China case I was wrong thinking that they have the best of intentions in their endeavors

Certainly in the UK we have a strong concept of legacy and the provision of enhanced possibilities using the new facilities. If our media thought that very expensive new venues were to be scrapped en masse, there'd be a multimedia riot. Indeed, there's even been some conflict on which course of action to pursue for the main venue when the games are over. And all sides are looking to the most productive way to use it, rather than scrapping it or working it down to mere spectacle. That's London. I'm pretty sure Sydney was the same.

You need to understand that for China the Beijing Olympics were just a tool for advancing its foreign policy objectives. When the Beijing Games finished the Chinese Govt had no further use for the stadium and switched focus elsewhere, hence the sad state you see today. In the UK the future of the 2012 stadium has been linked to football but the problem is suitability. Fans want to be closer to the action - if they need binoculars they might as well stay at home and watch it on telly :P

You need to understand that for China the Beijing Olympics were just a tool for advancing its foreign policy objectives. When the Beijing Games finished the Chinese Govt had no further use for the stadium and switched focus elsewhere, hence the sad state you see today. In the UK the future of the 2012 stadium has been linked to football but the problem is suitability. Fans want to be closer to the action - if they need binoculars they might as well stay at home and watch it on telly :P

Another of those rare moments we agree, but i would go even further.

China is at the moment a rubber inflated dragon, it's economic condition and utility of material, human capital, and finances are far worse than the state projections. Recent articles about the "golden elephant" issues lead me to suspect that few people would use the stadium in this case.

Latest on London 2012 legacy is all venues apparently now have agreed futures e.g. the Swimming pool and Velodrome will continue as major training / events venues and for the local community. The "village" will become housing - about half low cost / affordable housing. According to London2012 "The Stadium is designed to be flexible enough to accommodate a number of different requirements and capacities in legacy. It will retain athletics at its core, and also be a venue for other sporting, cultural and community events." The top section is designed to be removed and recycled leaving a more appropriate 25,000 capacity. The plan was to share the stadium with a local football club but they're still squabbling over that. The Olympic Park will see more development around these venues.

• Like 1

would it not make sense to rent it out as long as they can pay for the electric

gosh they could have pooled for so many ideas ...

since it belongs to the people ... they could treat it like a park

hold concerts etc etc

just to use it for a game ... it sounds so simalar to North Vietnam ... just a show of greatness

Another of those rare moments we agree, but i would go even further.

China is at the moment a rubber inflated dragon, it's economic condition and utility of material, human capital, and finances are far worse than the state projections. Recent articles about the "golden elephant" issues lead me to suspect that few people would use the stadium in this case.

Edited by hh5