Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Five crew killed in Canaries cruise ship safety drill

hh5

I guess the band boys won't take cruises

Cables snapped on a lifeboat and it plunged 20 meters (65 feet) to the ocean and fell upside down, killing the five and injuring three others aboard, during the mock rescue exercise on the Thomson Majesty, operated by British travel group TUI Travel plc. The boat was docked in the port of the capital of the island of La Palma, Santa Cruz.

Thompson Majesty is an old ship, and as a guess, I'd say maintenance has been neglected. I've been on her once, many years ago, when she was the Norwegian Majesty on NCL lines. 

She was also the ship hit by a rogue wave in the Med in 2010.

It's fairly common for a ship to lower at least a few of its boats. The small fast runabouts are used for drills, emergencies, etc, and the larger ones that hold a couple of hundred people are often used for tendering people to and from the ship in ports that the ship can't dock in. If a week goes by without lowering a boat, I'd be surprised.

HH5, your translation software is betraying you worse than usual -- at least, I can only assume it was the action of translation software that added 'pseidon adventure' to that phrase.

A rogue wave is a wave much larger than the other waves occurring in the same place at that time.  Which is to say, if over a period of time you measured wave heights of 5 feet, a 15 foot wave would be a rogue wave.  If you're measuring wave heights of 15 on average, a 45 foot wave would be a rogue wave.

How is the poseidon adventure rogue waves possible in the Med? the only current would be the gibraltar channel n perhaps winds? 

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..