2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

sayings or quotes

Guest fayevalentine

Once again I feel the need to preface the actual with an apology, mainly because I live in a town filled with bonafide lunatics so most of the things that they say strike as more humorous or meaningful than quotes from th emost famous of celebrities. I assure you though, every single one of these is an honest to goodness quote, and I can provide references.

"I told him, 'I almost wish you had a vagina so I'd know what to do!'"

My friend Joanna on her level of inexperience with sexual matters concerning boys.

"If the 'l' is silent why did they put it in the word?"

My mother, Rosa, being sompletely confused by the pronunciation of the word 'Salmon'.

"Look at your hand. Your palm is like the world and your fingers are like the people. Every one is different; some are taller, some are shorter, and some are fatter. But one isn't more important than the other and they only ever get anything done when they all work together."**

My Grandmother, Maria-Grazia, on world affairs. She's a wise one that Nonna Graziella.

"God damn it Nora! Would you stop telling people I'm a nun!"

Sister Christina of St. John's Church, doing what she does best, making people smile.

"When I was young, there were blimps."

My Friend Maureen, reminiscing.

"Pity us and a bowl of cavatelli!"**

My mother, Rosa, when she is distressed.

I know there is a million more, but I'll leave you with those for now.

**Roughly translated from Italian.

Edited by Caipirinha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful Christmas!

I remember that quote from the first time watching that show too! And I loved it then, in fact it's always stuck with me. Was Joe the first to use it though? I somehow got the impression he was quoting someone else.

"Look at your hand. Your palm is like the world and your fingers are like the people. Every one is different; some are taller, some are shorter, and some are fatter. But one isn't more important than the other and they only ever get anything done when they all work together."**

My Grandmother, Maria-Grazia, on world affairs. She's a wise one that Nonna Graziella.

That is very wise.

Here's one I rather like, though I'm mostly just paraphrasing and cannot recall the source:

"There's no real evidence for the supposition that life is a serious undertaking"

I remember that quote from the first time watching that show too! And I loved it then, in fact it's always stuck with me. Was Joe the first to use it though? I somehow got the impression he was quoting someone else.

He probly was just that's who I first heard say it. I wish that show would come out on DVD!

Hey how come I can't get the quote to come out right?

Edited by vlista20

If "ifs" and "ands" were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers.

Only fools make a dare....and you're even more of a fool if you take a dare.

These were sayings of my mom.

Never up, never in!

That is one of my dad's sayings.....he was a golfer and referring to his putting technique. I don' think he ever got the other potential meanings of that saying....

pax, notTed