7 hours ago, TalonRider said:

@Bill W, here's the link to the video. It didn't take me as long to find as I thought it would. To save you some time, you can find it around the 2:25 minute mark with a short preview at the beginning of the video. Sound effects were even included.

Thank you, Jan.  That little scene is in a couple of spots on that video.  Oh , and it looked like the spider had caught a wasp, rather than a bee.  

• Like 3

SulawesiSalticidWithButterfly.jpg

Like lynx spiders, jumping spiders don't build a web, instead they go out and hunt their dinner.   Lynx spiders have adequate but not spectacular eyesight, but jumping spiders have excellent vision, allowing them to walk around their environment and actively stalk their prey, rather than waiting in ambush for something to come by.   It's apparently a very successful strategy, since jumping spiders comprise the largest family of spiders, about 5000 in total, making up about 13% of the estimated 40000 spider species.

BeautifulSalticidOnEggs.jpg

They're also some of the most beautiful of spiders with attractive, often metallic colors, like this tiny female guarding her eggs.   They have great personalities, too - the two large main eyes which are a distinguishing feature of the family make these spiders look more engaging, and unlike almost all other spiders they'll actually turn and look at you.   If they decide you're a threat then they will often move to the underside of the leaf they're on, otherwise they'll continue about their business, stopping from time to time to check that you're not doing anything nefarious.

:cowboy:

Edited by sandrewn
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, sandrewn said:

SulawesiSalticidWithButterfly.jpg

Like lynx spiders, jumping spiders don't build a web, instead they go out and hunt their dinner.   Lynx spiders have adequate but not spectacular eyesight, but jumping spiders have excellent vision, allowing them to walk around their environment and actively stalk their prey, rather than waiting in ambush for something to come by.   It's apparently a very successful strategy, since jumping spiders comprise the largest family of spiders, about 5000 in total, making up about 13% of the estimated 40000 spider species.

Great camouflaging too, since its back looks like a moth, at least to me. 

• Haha 1

BeautifulSalticidOnEggs.jpg

They're also some of the most beautiful of spiders with attractive, often metallic colors, like this tiny female guarding her eggs.   They have great personalities, too - the two large main eyes which are a distinguishing feature of the family make these spiders look more engaging, and unlike almost all other spiders they'll actually turn and look at you.   If they decide you're a threat then they will often move to the underside of the leaf they're on, otherwise they'll continue about their business, stopping from time to time to check that you're not doing anything nefarious.

The web is stretched like a trampoline.  I wonder if the spider can bounce on it as well? 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.558e2a36e6aeb70329b0c75117a67947.jpeg

Mini-Me??

Like an opossum, but instead of riding on the mother's back, this baby rides under its mother's tummy - either that or this spider has a more pair of eyes than any other spider. 

Edited by Bill W
  • Haha 1
On 9/6/2023 at 1:25 AM, Bill W said:

Like an opossum, but instead of riding on the mother's back, this baby rides under its mother's tummy - either that or this spider has a more pair of eyes than any other spider. 

I have heard the expression, "Eyes in the back of her head" but not .......?

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Bill W said:

Damn, it looks more like a robot than a real spider, but at least it's not lethal.  One of the few things in Australia that isn't. 

I don't know about that. Shock & Awe( extreme fright causing a heart attack) could be viewed as lethal!:whistle:

• Haha 2

image.jpeg.2f578519c8f0557b6eb680d414adcead.jpeg

Adult Male Phidippus putnami Jumping Spider

My daily wanderings paid off a couple days ago as I was making my way along a trail (following a large robber fly). A little form on the railing of a wooden bridge caught my eye from about 20 feet away, and as I took a couple steps closer - it spun around to greet me and I immediately recognized the face as an adult male Phidippus putnami.

• Wow 2

image.jpeg.2f578519c8f0557b6eb680d414adcead.jpeg

Adult Male Phidippus putnami Jumping Spider

My daily wanderings paid off a couple days ago as I was making my way along a trail (following a large robber fly). A little form on the railing of a wooden bridge caught my eye from about 20 feet away, and as I took a couple steps closer - it spun around to greet me and I immediately recognized the face as an adult male Phidippus putnami.

Very interesting, and with all of that white on its body and the sensors on its legs, it appears to be really old.  

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Bill W said:

Very interesting, and with all of that white on its body and the sensors on its legs, it appears to be really old.  

The original blurb on this one was a long one, I lost it(whoops) and still trying to find it again. As to your statement, ....or it might just be a cheap dye job gone wrong and a needed, long overdue trip to the barber shop for an extensive(massive) trim. The latter would probably shave years off his looks:gikkle:.

• Haha 2
49 minutes ago, sandrewn said:

image.jpeg.3f78c2c2e017cbe3bfc96d9e67c3c74f.jpeg

A dried out frog with a spider living in its mouth.

(truth is, sometimes stranger than fiction)

So they're imply that the spider found a dried out frog and decided to make it's home in the frog's mouth?  Sounds like the animals kingdom's version of squatter's rights.  But it's still a creepy photo! 

• Like 2

image.jpeg.254c3705758959fb0a34b73bb085093d.jpeg

The Spectacular World of Spiny Orb-Weaver Spiders

I am going to stop right here!!!

I don't know why, but as soon as I saw the above picture, one thought popped into my mind and I can not get rid of it, ' Lady Gaga '.

Sorry to you all,

and to you Lady Gaga

I'm not sure about that, but it does remind me of medieval headwear that some of the ladies wore, as well as birds with split or forked tails.  Possibly even the shape of a spacecraft you might see in a Star Trek or Star Wars movie.  

• Haha 4
13 hours ago, Slytherin said:

Why do I return to this thread?! :funny: 

Maybe so you can be sure that the spiders aren't getting the upper hand?  

Edited by Bill W
  • Haha 4