Comcast To Build 1,121 Foot Tower in Phildelphia

methodwriter85

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic that I think really demonstrate the beauty of both the University City and Center City neighborhoods. This picture was taken from the edge of UPenn's campus in the University City neighborhood of West Philadelphia, and looks east across the river into Center City where you see the skyscrapers. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S4CqfHctlrQ/ToYWPvqiCUI/AAAAAAAABec/6lfm1k4RjvI/s1600/

Didn't Philly at one time have some rule or agreement or something that no building would exceed the city hall spire or something to that effect? Or was that Washington DC?

Didn't Philly at one time have some rule or agreement or something that no building would exceed the city hall spire or something to that effect? Or was that Washington DC?

Yup that was Philadelphia, and up until the 1980s it had no real skyline like that of the other major Northeast cities. Finally in the early 80s, the "gentlemen's agreement" was scrapped, and they built One Liberty Place and Two Liberty Place. Once those buildings went up, it set off a flurry of high-rise apartment and office skyscraper boom that led to what is now Center City. The Comcast Center, the tallest building in the city, wasn't finished until 2008. It seems now that with the next Comcast building going up and several other possible buildings planned, Philadelphia will likely have another building boom in Center City. People are finally starting to move back into the city and gentrify once-decrepid neighborhoods, which means a bolstered tax base and plenty of room to grow. Its really exciting to be living in Philly and the Metro area right now. 

Now if only we could get the rural, redneck-catering politicians that represent the rest of Pennsylbama to actually fund public transportation, we could finally develop a decent subway system in the city. The one thing that really holds Philly back is the small subway system, and its over reliance on buses and trollies. I mean, what kind of East Coast city with more then 1.5M people only has two subway lines serving limited sections of the city? Boston, which has only about 1/3 of the population, has more and farther encompassing subway lines then Philly. But because the rest of the state (except Pittsburg Metro) is nothing but inbred hillbillies, they refuse to fund anything to do with Philly because they think its nothing but black and/or liberal, welfare-sucking, crackheads. 

Sometimes I think Philadelphia should just give Pennsylvania the middle finger and become a part of New Jersey. :P

Edited by TetRefine

The other thing to keep in mind is that Manhattan has a square mileage of 33 miles, while Philly has 152 miles. For density reasons, it makes sense why Philly doesn't have a skyline like New York City or San Francisco. What has been driving skyscaper production, however, has been the increased popularity of Center City and University City- that's where most of the skyscapers and tall condo buildings are being put because of the demand for those areas.

The real estate crash of '08 halted much of the plans, but they seem like they're back on again.

Here's a video that explains the Curse of Billy Penn.

The new Tower actually has a lower roof height than current one, so it won't be necessary to move the Billy Penn figurine to that one, I don't think.

Edited by methodwriter85

Well also, Manhattan is the economic center of the world, so it needs an endless amount of skyscrapers to support that. Also, there are more people crammed into Manhattan than there are in the entire city of Philadelphia, so it made sense for Manhattan to simply build upwards, where Philadelphia could still build out. The other thing about New York is, its pretty much extremely dense in every part of the city no matter what part you go to. Philadelphia is a very dense, packed together city also, but you have many of the outer neighborhoods (like Manayunk, Germantown, East Falls, Northeast, etc.) that have all detached homes and have much more of a dense suburban feel rather then a crowded city feel you get in South Philly, Center City, and University City. 

One person said to me that "New York is a city of high-rises, and Philadelphia is a city of row homes". I think this is absolutely true, and I've never seen a city anywhere that has as many neighborhoods of dense row homes as Philadelphia does. While I think the feeling of being in Center City (especially near Market Street & JFK Blvd.) is comparable to being in Midtown Manhattan, once you get out of those areas, the difference is night and day as to the feel of the neighborhoods. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It'll be a game-changer, for sure. Although I'm disappointed that the actual roof height will be lower than Comcast I, and most of that extra height is from the spire.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone realize how old Manhattan is? It's glorified through the media and impressionable minds but in reality it's so damn old. The rail system, the streets and 90% of the buildings are really really frigging old and out-dated. I can't think of anything more 3rd world than NYC subways.

Anyone realize how old Manhattan is? It's glorified through the media and impressionable minds but in reality it's so damn old. The rail system, the streets and 90% of the buildings are really really frigging old and out-dated. I can't think of anything more 3rd world than NYC subways.

You think New York's subways are bad? You have obviously never been on Philadelphia's subway. It makes New York look pristine in many areas. :P

And Manhattan may be somewhat old, but its what gives it charm and character. There is nothing more impressive in any city in world then Midtown Manhattan. There are many new buildings in Manhattan and ones being built right now. One thing I don't like about the new-age cities (Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix) is that that they are so stale, generic, and sprawly. They lack a lot of what makes a city a city. 

Edited by TetRefine

• 2 months later...

And Manhattan may be somewhat old, but its what gives it charm and character. There is nothing more impressive in any city in world then Midtown Manhattan. There are many new buildings in Manhattan and ones being built right now. One thing I don't like about the new-age cities (Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix) is that that they are so stale, generic, and sprawly. They lack a lot of what makes a city a city. 

I went to New York City for the first time in 12 years, and wow, I couldn't get over all the new buildings that have been put up, least of all the new World Trade Center.

It really is a breathtaking display of chaos and an assault on the senses.

Philly will never really be like that (it would have to get a population of like 10 million to achieve that kind of density), but it'll be interesting to see how the skyline evolves. Here's the skyline when One Liberty Place was new:

Skyline-w-One-Lib-Place-12-5-87-104710.j

I definitely think it's come a long way.

Edited by methodwriter85

Another great view of Philadelphia's current skyline:

VbvnhmV.jpg

The view on both sides of 76 of Center City is beautiful of the skyline. I used to see it every morning and afternoon on my way to work at my old job in the suburbs. Though my favorite view of the skyline is still the one you get coming on I-95 North on the Girard Point Bridge. Center City looks absolutely massive from that point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another view of the skyline, similar to the last but from the view of the new boardwalk they put in on the east bank of the Schuylkill River.

68iw3qn.jpg

Edited by methodwriter85