Lazy words do not pick up women.

advocatus diaboli

I didn't intend to make anything personal of it and I'm sorry I offended you.  I could have used better ways of saying what I did, but I didn't.  Sometimes I should wait and post another time, and this was one of them.  Anyway, please don't take it personally.

no worries, its often hard to portray and to understand the tone of the comments made over the internet, and i think we both fell foul of that :) let us both relax and eat ben&jerrys, and move on  :)

• Like 1

This got beyond my ear very quickly, but I did love it:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/regional-voices/phonological-variation/

In the US, we find working-class UK accents sexy! I would swoon for anyone who said " 'appen" to me. Edit: though that's probably got something to do with Lady Chatterley's Lover.

Edited by Irritable1

Anyone who uses "villainous" without irony, in conversation, is not getting laid ever, regardless of the target audience  :no:

---> 

:facepalm: Mr. Irri just said "villainous." Forget everything I've posted in this thread.  :X

im afraid that it is my duty to inform you of the immediate demise of any intimate life that may have occured between Mr Irri and yourself. Sucks to be you! :P on the bright side, i still kept my options open ;) LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham

Poor old Brummies always get it in the neck for their accent. We'll never have a Brummie PM :lol:

It was a crap imitation of a Brummie accent. And if she'd wanted to show how bizarre the accents of the West Midlands are she would have demonstrated Black Country rather than Birmingham, anyway. Dudley's the worst. 

Just for a frame of reference:

Here's a link for the actual blog article this internet meme was created from:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1xuHX5/:X.l2v0Mz:Ph@Eq4fa/writerswrite.co.za/45-ways-to-avoid-using-the-word-very/#

It's about writers using better word choices and how using the word "very" is lazy writing. The quote is an illustration of that but it not describing the list at all. The two are not directly connected, and the photo was thrown in for creative effect. The list has nothing to do with the quote. This is another example of an internet meme: reformatting information for effect, if not for accuracy.

Just for a frame of reference:

Here's a link for the actual blog article this internet meme was created from:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1xuHX5/:X.l2v0Mz:Ph@Eq4fa/writerswrite.co.za/45-ways-to-avoid-using-the-word-very/#

It's about writers using better word choices and how using the word "very" is lazy writing. The quote is an illustration of that but it not describing the list at all. The two are not directly connected, and the photo was thrown in for creative effect. The list has nothing to do with the quote. This is another example of an internet meme: reformatting information for effect, if not for accuracy.

actually it should be about appropriate word choice. Sometimes "very" is very appropriate :P for an effect, especially for humour - as previous examples in this thread have shown. And some of the "recommended" alternatives are arch, or might conflict with the mood intended by the writer. Because writing is about creating mood and appropriate word choice is key to creating and maintaining the desired mood. This meme is merely about overuse of words - very being just one example - and surely all competent writers should be aware of this. Fortunately English is a rich language with an arsenal of alternative words with same / similar meanings to choose from :)

Sadly the link won't work with my old version Firefox :( ... then it hijacked my browser :angry:

actually it should be about appropriate word choice. Sometimes "very" is very appropriate :P for an effect, especially for humour - as previous examples in this thread have shown. And some of the "recommended" alternatives are arch, or might conflict with the mood intended by the writer. Because writing is about creating mood and appropriate word choice is key to creating and maintaining the desired mood. This meme is merely about overuse of words - very being just one example - and surely all competent writers should be aware of this. Fortunately English is a rich language with an arsenal of alternative words with same / similar meanings to choose from :)

Sadly the link won't work with my old version Firefox :( ... then it hijacked my browser :angry:

Okay, you've missed my point, but if the link gave you issues, that's understandable.

While I agree that it should be about appropriate word choice, that's not what the source material was about. The meme is a re-hash of information. The quote was intended to support the information in the chart and idea of upgrading a writer's choices. The chart was not intended to be a list of words to use in seduction. The correlation wasn't designed to support in both directions, which is what makes the idea of using the word "morose" and "salacious" in common conversation sound ridiculous. The meme is easily misconstrued from its source material in the way its presented.

That was really my point in the end.

Okay, you've missed my point, but if the link gave you issues, that's understandable.

While I agree that it should be about appropriate word choice, that's not what the source material was about. The meme is a re-hash of information. The quote was intended to support the information in the chart and idea of upgrading a writer's choices. The chart was not intended to be a list of words to use in seduction. The correlation wasn't designed to support in both directions, which is what makes the idea of using the word "morose" and "salacious" in common conversation sound ridiculous. The meme is easily misconstrued from its source material in the way its presented.

That was really my point in the end.

thanks for that. But I'm not sold on the idea that "upgrading" is necessarily a good thing when a writer chooses words. Often it is the everyday words that create impact or "seem right" - that's why they're everyday words, they've stood the test of time. Many acclaimed published authors have succeeded with a style that is "understated". Maybe because "upgraded" words, which will be the less commonly used ones, could be a distraction both in the narrative ["ooh, that's an unusual word"] and dialogue ["yeah right, like people say that in real life..."].   Writing can be "overwritten" and often plain is best.

Of course every word is up for grabs when the writer wants to achieve a particular effect. My only gripe is when words are used with no thought to context, or repeatedly used ad nauseam, or used inappropriately and are a distraction to the reader. That applies to all words, everyday and "upgraded" :)

Upgrading words can be easily over done, for sure. It's simply about the idea that the word "very" can sometimes make the descriptor seem less emphasized than intended. "Very happy" is less interesting than saying they're "thrilled" or "ecstatic."

I have to admit, a lot of the words in that grid are a little flowery and should be used with caution, if at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...