1. 1. Which do you call it?

• Soda
    • Pop
    • Soda Pop
    • Coke
    • Other
    • Fizzy Drink

It's POP in canada, I've always called it POP

I'm guessing it's a regional thing in Canada just like the US... I grew up in the french part of Canada and it was always "soft drink or boisson douce" and when I used to live Toronto it was always "Pop".

There's also the stereotype up here that French Canadians drink Pepsi (and eat Joe Louis's) and English Canadians drink Coke... for me, it's Diet Pepsi or Coke (but not Diet Coke or Pepsi)... and Orange soft drinks are awful (sorry Nicky :P )

It's belly wash in Nickolaslandville... :) it's always Belly Wash

Your from somewhere south of the Mason/Dixon line, But isn't it only a Belly Wash if your having it with a Moon Pie ????

Your from somewhere south of the Mason/Dixon line, But isn't it only a Belly Wash if your having it with a Moon Pie ????

lol...actually, I dont know. Lots of people from our church call it that and before this topic came up I never called it that. Also, Nickolaslandville doesn't really exist (except in my head :) ) We do sorta live in the south though

I call it soda. And I think most people around Maine call it soda too, though I have also heard it referred to as a soft drink quite a bit. As for my favorite soda I'd have to say gingerale, Schweppes. I don't drink it very often though I'm a die hard water drinker! I'll take a soda over juice or milk any day though.

Way way way back then (like June of last year, lol) when I still drank pop, Mountain Dew was my favorite. I loved and still do love it but I don't drink any pop anymore and I do fine with out it with just my reverse osmosis filtered water :) . (BTW, A&W Root Beer came in a close 2nd with Pepsi which I'd have to say was my third.)

Speaking of regional-ness, regions in the US, watever...lol, I noticed one of the choices was simply Coke. Well I recall one of my teachers telling a story that they were at a restaurant somewhere in the Southern US and the waitress asked them what kind of "Coke" they wanted. And she said that she said that she just wanted regular "coke", not knowing that that was the term for POP there (we call it pop up here in the midwest). I thought that that was a little interesting, but I guess whatever its called there seems completely normal.

Ronnie

Muahaha the soda's are winning!

lol ... :D I have not used that word for a long time ....... since High school wow :blink: almost 5 years ago

Edited by rekop1

Nobody calls them phosphates anymore. In the old days, drug stores had soda fountains, and while the whole serving counter came to be called a fountain, the actual fountain was a tap for mixing carbonated water with syrups. In the original days, the syrups were medicinal, but for the last century or so, the syrups were merely flavors. The water was carbonated by mixing it with sodium carbonate (or soda), making soda water, the fizzy stuff also known as seltzer or 2-cents-plain. The soda water got shortened to "soda" and became the generic term for the soft drink.

I am ancient enough to remember the days of soda jerks at drug store fountains, humans who would actually mix your soda for you. In high school, I was fond of combinations such as cherry lemon cokes and cherry vanilla root beers. The soda fountain I frequented also did ice cream concoctions, such as frosteds (a Connecticut term--they were frappes in Massachusetts and mile shakes in the rest of the U.S., but in Southern New England, milk shakes were something else made without ice cream). They also made sundaes. Dusty sundaes had a topping of malt, which you could also add to the frosted or milk shake to make a chocolate malt(ed). And because enough New Yorkers frequented our area, they could also make egg creams, which contain neither eggs nor cream.

Then there were phosphates. A strawberry phosphate would be made of carbonated soda water, strawberry-flavored syrup, and phosphoric acid.

Nowadays, my favorite is a Dr. Brown's (diet) Black Cherry, a soda brand you'll probably only find in the Northeastern U.S. My absolute favorite is true Coke--the Coca Cola Classic with Kosher for Passover certification, which is made with real sugar rather than corn syrup, but since real coke contains too many calories, I've discovered Coke Zero tastes more like real Coke than Diet Coke does, and is an acceptable substitute.

--Rigel