Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Upcoming Trends, Slang, Pop Culture, Etc

Mark, it's late 2003 now. We should be seeing trucker hats and Uggs now:

hats-trucker.jpg

1500-most-hated-womens-shoes-uggs.jpg

The important thing to remember about the trucker hats is that they weren't usually worn backwards, like baseball caps. You might see it tipped to the side, but for the most part, they were worn facing forward.

I can see JJ being willing to wear male Uggs. I didn't see guys wearing them until 2005, but as Private Tim likes to point out, I'm from the DL, not the OC.

Uggs maybe.  Trucker hats...not seeing it.  Stefan could handle the emo boys, but trucker hats?  He'd lose his mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Uggs maybe.  Trucker hats...not seeing it.  Stefan could handle the emo boys, but trucker hats?  He'd lose his mind.

At the end of the day though...you really think Stefan would have turned down young Ashton Kutcher (or another hot young guy) just because he was wearing a trucker hat?

I mean, Stefan lived through the 1970's. If he could survive that era, he'd be able to tolerate anything.

• 5 months later...

I had to post this picture, because it is one hysterical example of a very specific aesthetic from this time period. This guy on Reddit posted a photo of a really bad resume he made, which included a full-body shot showing off his 2004 fashion sense:

1wx5gv8tpr1y.jpg

Basically, I would call his look "The Gay East Coast Raver Who Posted A Personal Ad on Planetout." I can't see any of the CAP people coming near someone with this look, but seeing this photo jogged memories of AOL chatrooms and gay dating profiles. Seriously, you could drop this dude off at Shampoo in Philly circa 2004, and he'd fit right in.

This also made me think about why people were willing to pay over a hundred dollars on jeans that were completely ripped up. I never bought into the distressed jean trend, but wouldn't the fact that they were already distressed give the jeans a pretty short shelf-life?

I do think the Adidas throwback look was actually pretty cool, though. I wish I could have worn them, but my feet are too wide so I had to stick to New Balance.

Edited to add: This was also a popular look for Eastern European dudes, too.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 month later...

Mark, so is this like a look yet where you are?

2b66eac643eeb74a03c452457989ad28.jpg

Here, it's been around since about 2012-2013. You telling me that the whole shaggy hair thing didn't hit the Mid-West until like 2007 makes me wonder if they have this look yet where you are.

The "hip" look seems to be an undercut haircut with a shaved-in part, a v-neck t-shirt, and cuffed jeans with Brogans.

Although for younger guys (teenager to about mid-20's), I've noticed that the basic general look seems to be this: fitted button-down shirts(both solid color and patterned), slimfit khaki pants (cargo pants are seriously out) and canvas shoes. Also, Hollister and Abercrombie are so far out of the loop the only guys I see wearing that are my age or older, kind of like they're trapped in some kind of 2005 style loop. One thing I've noticed that's kind of weird- young guys don't wear ankle-length socks like my peers did when we were their age. Guys my age- we stuck with either flip-flops or we wore low-rise socks. Guys now seem to be longer length socks. Not calf-socks from the 1970's, but the socks are longer enough to actually be seen.

Northface has definitely gotten replaced by Patagonia, and for the preppy crowd, LaCoste has been ditched for Vineyard Vines.

We're definitely at the part of the decade where most fashion traces of the previous decade have faded out and the trends that this decade will be remembered for are around right now.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 1 year later...

I went to my niece's college graduation, and there a LOT of beards even on the preppy guys.

I can see the beard craze bothering the shit out of Mark if and when he gets to covering this time period. He doesn't seem like a fan of them.

6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I went to my niece's college graduation, and there a LOT of beards even on the preppy guys.

I can see the beard craze bothering the shit out of Mark if and when he gets to covering this time period. He doesn't seem like a fan of them.

Facial hair is kind of the standard now for 90% of the gay men who can grow it. It's about as common as dirt here in the Northeast. 

16 hours ago, TetRefine said:

Facial hair is kind of the standard now for 90% of the gay men who can grow it. It's about as common as dirt here in the Northeast. 

It would be incredibly unrealistic for a 2018 Will to not be sporting at least some facial hair.  I can see JJ and Wade refusing to go the facial hair route (I think JJ might not even be able to grow one), along with the older generation, but yeah. Will, Carullo, Matt, Zach...they'd definitely have facial hair to varying degrees. It's so pervasive. And then there's that whole No-Shave November stuff, which seemed to become a thing around 2010.

Facial hair and buzzcuts with shaved-in sideparts is definitely one of the big looks for this decade.

I wonder if Will would rock a manbun? I can see it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 4 years later...

I resurrected this thread because Mark just ripped on what will be a popular trend in about 8 years forward in CAP time...the undercut aka the Macklemore cut:

style-blogs-the-gq-eye-macklemore-hair.jpg

I still think it's a look but I get why Mark would rip on it.

I wonder how he's going to feel about when Robbie the Second gets to college and guys are doing this:

The The Permed Mullet Is Back + Better Than Ever Is Back For 2022

• 11 months later...

It's summer 2023 and I'm definitely still seeing jockish guys rocking "modern" mullets. They're usually pretty subtle like on Jamie Flatters...you could just barely called that a mullet:

Jamie_BTB_DIGITAL6.thumb.jpg.76a54712ac20c8086407cff1cd4ba555.jpg

But then there's the Morgan Wallen look:

morgan-wallen.jpg.4af661fb3ab9be6689857d88f814170d.jpg

I can see Stefan and Wade Danfield recoiling at that. LOL

This seems like the happy medium:

download.jpg.b6a813bc5e612b4afbbee3fe756a6ca1.jpg

Mark, have you been seeing the mullet resurgence in the wild at your university yet? I feel like over here it started showing up around 2021-22.

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..