Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Martin Landau 1928-2017

Former Member

Martin Landau was probably best known for his roles on the Mission Impossible and Space: 1999 TV series. In Mission Impossible, his character, Rollin Hand, was a master of disguises – something that many LGBTQs could probably identity with. Space: 1999 might have had high production values, but it was also kind of tacky.

I remember going to a very early Science-Fiction gathering on the San Diego State (now known as California State University at San Diego) campus in the late ‘70s. This was pre-Star Wars and pre-consumer video tape, so everything was on film. One reel had multiple Space: 1999 opening sequences spliced together. Of course, the opening sequence featured the crash of an Eagle Transporter, but supposedly they only had 28 serviceable Eagles available. A wag in the audience announced that we had witness the destruction of more Eagles than they had available!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

I remember watching him in Mission Impossible and always liked him as an actor.  I just noticed that he was born in the same year as my mother, but she died in 1999.  At least he had a little longer in his mortal shell.  R.I.P., Martin Landau! 

• Like 4