Martin Greif’s Got a Little List

38 minutes ago, Bill W said:

I guess maybe she wouldn't qualify, because the closest I could come to finding out anything about her age was this:  aBorn into Reagan-era hunter-gatherer society in Alaska

Yeah, I've just been looking for more K. B.s, as she's now a stumbling block to getting deeper in the list. I'm also hopeless at sussing out who J. A. American poet could be . . .  

On 6/26/2023 at 1:20 AM, AC Benus said:

Greif’s “Gay Book of Days”… lists each of the 365 days of the year with info on who from the LGBTI2S+ Community was born on that day.

Is Ivor Novello listed for 15 January (born 1893)?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Zombie said:

Is Ivor Novello listed for 15 January (born 1893)?

Yes, and when you've been outed in print by the likes Winston Churchill (who outed himself in the process, lol), the cat's officially not going back in the bag!

You should get Greif's book; it's a treasure 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, George Richard said:

Maybe Kaye Ballard. I don’t think she was publicly out but there was speculation. 

OMG, I forgot all about her, but remember her fondly.  Great point, George.  Kudos.  I looked her up online.  She was never  married but engaged four times, I guess to throw everyone off the track.  

Edited by Bill W
50 minutes ago, Bill W said:

OMG, I forgot all about her, but remember her fondly.  Great point, George.  Kudos.  I looked her up online.  She was never  married but engaged four times, I guess to throw everyone off the track.  

Here’s a quote from a USA Today at the time of her passing. ‘Ballard never married or had children. She wrote in her memoir, “I found an emotional connection with women like Liz (Smith, the admittedly bisexual syndicated columnist who was Ballard’s road manager in the 1950s) that I could never find with a man. I don’t know why or how it happened, but I do know it has kept me single my entire life.” ‘

• Like 1

Okay, furthering the list :) 

[Nothing I state here is controversial and can be easily cross-referenced in Stern (2009)]

Cary Grant (Randolph Scott's partner)

Danny Kaye (FWB with Lawrence Olivier) 

Randolph Scott (Cary Grant's partner)

Stephen Sondheim (not out in 1982?! Whaaaaat, lol. Shocking.)

Salvador Dalí (Lorca's partner in the 1920s)

Maurice Sendak (thanks @Dhpiet77!)

John Ashbury (thanks @Ron!)

Barbara Stanwyck ("Babs? Who's Babs!" -- you have to be a real radio geek to get this) 

Leonard Bernstein (Farley Granger's partner before either "made it big")

Rock Hudson (not out [in public] till 1985)

C. C. American theatrical producer (!!!!???/?!!!!!/////!) what? who? where? How am I supposed to know about producers?! And ideas, folks?

Andre de Shields (thanks @LemonSoda!)

Tom Tryon (Partners with adult-film star Casey Donovan. After giving up acting, Tryon became a bestselling author)

Eva Le Gallienne (long relationships with both Mercedes de Costa and Tallulah Bankhead)

Cesar Romero (long-time piner for- and one-time hook-up with- Desi Arnaz: source: Romero in an interview)

H. American singer (!!!!???/?!!!!!/////!) what? How can I not know a pop-star (I'm assuming) going by a single name? All I keep thinking of is "Halston" lol --- HELP!!!

Edited by AC Benus

H. American singer (!!!!???/?!!!!!/////!) what? How can I not know a pop-star (I'm assuming) going by a single name? All I keep thinking of is "Halston" lol --- HELP!!!

I believe this would be Hildegarde. 

• Love 1

H. American singer (!!!!???/?!!!!!/////!) what? How can I not know a pop-star (I'm assuming) going by a single name? All I keep thinking of is "Halston" lol --- HELP!!!

C. C. American theatrical producer (!!!!???/?!!!!!/////!) what? who? where? How am I supposed to know about producers?! And ideas, folks? 

Cheryl Crawford

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bill W said:

C. C. American theatrical producer (!!!!???/?!!!!!/////!) what? who? where? How am I supposed to know about producers?! And ideas, folks? 

Cheryl Crawford

Wonderful! I see Elisa Rolle, a very reliable source, has both Hildegarde and Cheryl Crawford on her list. So I'm sold! 

Major kisses!

Okay, furthering the list :) 

[Nothing I state here is controversial and can be easily cross-referenced in Stern (2009)]

Cary Grant (Randolph Scott's partner)

Danny Kaye (FWB with Lawrence Olivier) 

Randolph Scott (Cary Grant's partner)

Stephen Sondheim (not out in 1982?! Whaaaaat, lol. Shocking.)

Salvador Dalí (Lorca's partner in the 1920s)

Maurice Sendak (thanks @Dhpiet77!)

John Ashbury (thanks @Ron!)

Barbara Stanwyck ("Babs? Who's Babs!" -- you have to be a real radio geek to get this) 

Leonard Bernstein (Farley Granger's partner before either "made it big")

Rock Hudson (not out [in public] till 1985)

Cheryl Crawford (thanks @Bill W!) See: http://www.elisarolle.com/queerplaces/ch-d-e/Cheryl Crawford.html

Andre de Shields (thanks @LemonSoda!)

Tom Tryon (Partners with adult-film star Casey Donovan. After giving up acting, Tryon became a bestselling author)

Eva Le Gallienne (long relationships with both Mercedes de Costa and Tallulah Bankhead)

Cesar Romero (long-time piner for- and one-time hook-up with- Desi Arnaz: source: Romero in an interview)

Hildegarde [Loretta Sell] (thanks @Bill W!) See: http://www.elisarolle.com/queerplaces/fghij/Hildegarde.html

O. S. English stage designer????

Edited by AC Benus
26 minutes ago, Ron said:

. . . but wait, Oliver Smith does not seem to have any English connections . . . 

Oliver Smith  Wow. I'm learning so much; partners with W. H. Auden; wow. See:  http://www.elisarolle.com/queerplaces/klmno/Oliver Smith.html

Edited by AC Benus

A.D.

Alain Delon - allegedly :funny:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Surely the prettiest actor in cinema history? He starred as Tom Ripley in Plein Soleil (Purple Noon), René Clément’s 1960 version (many would say the best version - apart from the ending) of Patricia Highsmith’s novel. Rumours of a gay relationship when be was young are consistent with the Greif timescale - plus, being declared “as beautiful as Brigitte Bardot” he’s just gotta be gay hasn’t he?!? :lol:

Now 87 he apparently has one more project in mind

https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/queer-now-1960/

Edited by Zombie