Walter Becker 1950-2007

Former Member

Walter Becker died today. He was most famous for his collaborations with Donald Fagen as Steely Dan. No cause of death has been announced.

Some of Steely Dan’s most famous songs are Reelin’ in the Years, Rikki Don’t Lose That Number, Peg, Deacon Blues, FM (No Static at All), and Hey Nineteen. Rikki Don’t Lose That Number was covered by Tom Robinson (as Ricky Don’t Lose That Number) on his major label release album, Hope and Glory.

One of the things I enjoy about Steely Dan’s music is their often sardonic lyrics (what a shock, right?). And I’m sure I’m in the minority who sees parallels with the Pet Shop Boys’ technique of contrasting the mood of their lyrics with the tone of the melody. I love the delicious contrasts.

I would agree with the AP article, the link is provided below.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2017-09-03/5-notable-steely-dan-songs-to-remember-walter-becker

Deacon Blues video with background and analysis including insights from Fagin and Becker.

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 2