Black Mirror season 5 (no major spoilers)

First of all, this is my first topic, so I'm not sure if it's in the right place.

Second, I'm pretty rubbish at writing in-depth reviews without unintentionally dropping spoilers, so I tend to err on the side of caution and keep it vague.

I've only seen the first episode of season 5, so far; "Striking Vipers". It was a pretty wild episode, really well written, well produced and the actors did an amazing job, too.

It also touched upon one or two themes that might be relatable with many readers here.

But again, I don't know how much to reveal about those themes without spoiling them, so I'll rely on the wisdom in any comments below to figure that out.

Do you watch the show at all? And if so, have you seen any episode of the new season?

It's an anthology series, so with Black Mirror you can watch it in any order. Each episode is a stand alone. (with one exception; the season 4 finale). 

Black Mirror is one of my favorites.  I was really pleased this morning to learn the new series has been released.  The only thing I'm not wild about is I'll be through the entire series in the next 48 hours or so, then I have to wait a year for the next round of stories 🙁.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, blake_logan said:

(....)The only thing I'm not wild about is I'll be through the entire series in the next 48 hours or so, then I have to wait a year for the next round of stories 🙁.

That's exactly how I feel. I would have been happy with 5 or 6, like the past couple of seasons. But 3 episodes after more than a year's break, really sucks.

That said, I think the shorter series might have been sacrificed for much better written episodes. In series (seasons if you're in the US) with 20+ episodes, some of them feel rushed out, like something in a factory. Episode after episode pumped out without great care given to the episodes. 

Black Mirror episodes feel meticulous in the writing and production. Even if the plot didn't win me over in some of them. The quality of the episode itself has never let me down.

Well crap!  I logged into Netflix last night and found that there were only 3 new episodes (I was hoping for 6-8), so my Black Mirror fix only lasted a little over 3 hours last night.

I've enjoyed all the stories, but my favorites were all in Season 3: "Hated in the Nation", Shut Up and Dance" and "San Junipero".

• Like 1
6 hours ago, blake_logan said:

...I've enjoyed all the stories, but my favorites were all in Season 3: "Hated in the Nation", Shut Up and Dance" and "San Junipero".

I enjoyed the first two. The last episode was OK. It didn't really feel like Black Mirror.

My favourite episodes are The National Anthem & White Bear,  from the earlier series. I like the shock factor in the show. Those two episodes are unlike anything else I've seen on TV.

But Smithereens from this series is very high up on my list, too. Very intense, and made me get quite emotional at the end.