Hallowe’en and Autumn mists

Once upon a time there was a tree that grew strong and it's bough thick and tall. The tree's branches grew long and thick and children swung from a rope tied to the largest of them. A full canopy of leaves provided shelter from the sun and life was happy and good in the shade. Then one day, as quick as lightning flashes, the tree turned wizened and old and the children heard harsh noises whispered among it's shriveled leaves. One dark day, the tree now curmudgeonly and spiteful, it dropped the branch from which the children joyfully used to swing. Now the tree rests -- tired, watchful and waiting.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Ron said:

Once upon a time there was a tree that grew strong and it's bough thick and tall. The tree's branches grew long and thick and children swung from a rope tied to the largest of them. A full canopy of leaves provided shelter from the sun and life was happy and good in the shade. Then one day, as quick as lightning flashes, the tree turned wizened and old and the children heard harsh noises whispered among it's shriveled leaves. One dark day, the tree now curmudgeonly and spiteful, it dropped the branch from which the children joyfully used to swing. Now the tree rests -- tired, watchful and waiting.

I love the endless variety of trees and how they change over the seasons 

or from day to night

from sunshine to wind and rain 

They can be enchantingly beautiful

and disturbingly sinister...

Even a single tree can display both qualities during the same day or, as in your mini-chiller, when it grows old

And malevolent... :o  :lol:

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

I love the endless variety of trees and how they change over the seasons 

Absolutely! I hit the laugh reaction for the first post because I thought it was a delightful way of getting people to join in with their own interpretations, just as in the picture prompts we used to get, as I chose to do. Anyway, I thought that was your idea?! ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wales goes back into lockdown for two weeks on Friday and Hallowe’en has been cancelled  :( 

Which means these friendly funsters won’t be allowed out

to bring joy and happiness...

spacer.png

Edited by Zombie
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Treasure of Abbot Thomas
by Montague Rhodes James

During the 1970s the BBC filmed some of the ghost stories of MR James, a Victorian antiquarian and England’s greatest writer of ghost stories.

They were shown late in the evening each year around Christmas. 

When the nights are long and dark.

And the wind blows the branches of the leafless trees, scratching and tapping against the window...

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1