Growing up queer - A polish immigrant in the US and Britain.

Growing up as a queer, undocumented, Polish immigrant in Chicago, I always felt my identities were in flux – in-between cultures and across borders.

They also brought a sense of tension and shame, as I often saw my identities demonised.

Today, however, I see my experiences – whether migration, or gender and sexuality – as strengths that allow me to embrace complexity and build greater solidarity in my activism both where I now live in the UK and across the world.

I was born in Białystok – a city on Poland’s eastern border. Białystok made international headlines in 2019, when its first ever Pride parade was overrun by the far-right. The city received attention again in 2021, when migrants were illegally pushed back across the Belarusian border.

My childhood home, suddenly emblematic of Poland’s rise in homophobia and xenophobia.

read the rest of this personal history... https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/30/im-a-polish-non-binary-migrant-my-communitys-rights-are-under-attack-16907841/

spacer.png

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Luca E said:

Growing up as a queer, undocumented, Polish immigrant in Chicago, I always felt my identities were in flux – in-between cultures and across borders.

They also brought a sense of tension and shame, as I often saw my identities demonised.

Today, however, I see my experiences – whether migration, or gender and sexuality – as strengths that allow me to embrace complexity and build greater solidarity in my activism both where I now live in the UK and across the world.

I was born in Białystok – a city on Poland’s eastern border. Białystok made international headlines in 2019, when its first ever Pride parade was overrun by the far-right. The city received attention again in 2021, when migrants were illegally pushed back across the Belarusian border.

My childhood home, suddenly emblematic of Poland’s rise in homophobia and xenophobia.

read the rest of this personal history... https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/30/im-a-polish-non-binary-migrant-my-communitys-rights-are-under-attack-16907841/

spacer.png

Earlier this year a local collective appealed for donations from the surrounding communities (there have been many such appeals across the UK) of items needed, including medical supplies, tinned food, new bedding, torches and candles etc etc (those last ones got my attention… so that people could have some light at night-time) in order to help those who have lost so much, and continue to do so, in Ukraine 

the list of needed items had been compiled here by a local Polish community in contact with friends and relatives in Poland both for Ukrainians in Ukraine (citizens and soldiers) and those who had fled to Poland for refuge (mostly women, children and old folk)

because (and many in the US may not be aware of this) Poland is the country where so many homeless, injured and traumatised Ukrainians have fled and where they have been accepted, welcomed, and given food, shelter, medical attention and comfort

but Poland is not a country with unlimited wealth, hence the appeal

when I arrived at the collection point there were volunteers from all different cultures, including many originally from Poland, helping to check donated items and sort them into different categories (medical, food etc) before loading onto a large truck transporting everything to Poland where it would be distributed to help those Ukrainians sheltering and being cared for in Poland and onward to Ukraine also

I felt I should post this in the interests of balance, not to create further conflict - we have enough of that already here in Europe

• Like 1