Question about Genres

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I was wondering if you can choose the family saga sub genre for another genre, say Historical Fiction or Paranormal, and not just with the contemporary literature genre. 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

In the story archive, categories are something different and are labeled as such qhen you edit stories. You are asking about Genres and Sub-genres so i fixed your topic title. 

You can choose any sub-genre that makes sense for your story. The primary genres are set automatically when you select a sub genre. So if you set Family Saga as a subgenre it will automatically show under Literary Fiction Primary genre. 

The system will squawk if you set too many sub-genres. If you have that many you want to set, then the story probably lacks focus or you just need to set experimental as you aren't fitting into genre fiction. 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

This response explains how the system works, and if there is a limit on sub-genres it's fine.  However, it would be helpful if there was a warning, like there is with the tags, but I disagree that the sub-genre 'family saga' couldn't apply to another genre, other than Literary Fiction.   However, if that's the case then we'll just have to live with it, but I think that being able to use that sub-genre with other genres might be helpful to readers when they're choosing a story.  I don't believe, though, that wanting to use that sub-genre with another genre means the story has lost its focus.  

• Site Administrator
8 hours ago, Bill W said:

if there is a limit on sub-genres it's fine. it would be helpful if there was a warning,

There is.  What makes you think there isn't?  I literally said it in the post...

On 2/14/2024 at 9:02 AM, Myr said:

The system will squawk if you set too many sub-genres.

I disagree that the sub-genre 'family saga' couldn't apply to another genre, other than Literary Fiction

It certainly could, however, Family Saga as defined fits best in Literary Fiction.  And the system only allows one primary genre for a sub-genre.  Primary genres are broad while the sub-genre narrows down.  As the system allows you to search specifically for Sub-genres, like Family Saga, it's a moot argument.  If you feel your story is a Family Saga, tag it as such.  How that rolls up in the system shouldn't bother you that much.

but I think that being able to use that sub-genre with other genres might be helpful to readers when they're choosing a story

System doesn't work that way.  One primary genre for a sub-genre. The sub-genre descriptions should help you choose which ones apply to your story.

I don't believe, though, that wanting to use that sub-genre with another genre means the story has lost its focus.

This statement doesn't really make sense to me.  You appear to be mixing a few things together. See statement below:

On 2/14/2024 at 9:02 AM, Myr said:

The system will squawk if you set too many sub-genres. If you have that many you want to set, then the story probably lacks focus or you just need to set experimental as you aren't fitting into genre fiction. 

This statement goes together and you appear to be trying to separate it. Please don't.  If you add too many sub-genres, the system will let you know AND if you are actually adding so many that it does let you know, then you probably lack focus with your story's genres.  Some people go wild and will tag Paranormal on a romance because a character thought they saw a UFO, even though it had no relevance to the plot and was just a throw away statement.

Adding Family saga to your story doesn't fit that statement unless you have so many genres on it already that the system won't let you add more.

It should also be noted that this is a public post and technical answers are written for people looking for answers to the same question in the future.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Myr said:

There is.  What makes you think there isn't?  I literally said it in the post...

It certainly could, however, Family Saga as defined fits best in Literary Fiction.  And the system only allows one primary genre for a sub-genre.  Primary genres are broad while the sub-genre narrows down.  As the system allows you to search specifically for Sub-genres, like Family Saga, it's a moot argument.  If you feel your story is a Family Saga, tag it as such.  How that rolls up in the system shouldn't bother you that much.

System doesn't work that way.  One primary genre for a sub-genre. The sub-genre descriptions should help you choose which ones apply to your story.

This statement doesn't really make sense to me.  You appear to be mixing a few things together. See statement below:

This statement goes together and you appear to be trying to separate it. Please don't.  If you add too many sub-genres, the system will let you know AND if you are actually adding so many that it does let you know, then you probably lack focus with your story's genres.  Some people go wild and will tag Paranormal on a romance because a character thought they saw a UFO, even though it had no relevance to the plot and was just a throw away statement.

Adding Family saga to your story doesn't fit that statement unless you have so many genres on it already that the system won't let you add more.

It should also be noted that this is a public post and technical answers are written for people looking for answers to the same question in the future.

I only made the post because I got two emails from GA asking if your response was helpful.  I thought it was waiting for me to respond here.  Was it just waiting for me to click on an emoji? 

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

It was waiting for Mark as Solution. 

• Like 1