I received this email from a friend and it is very interesting, to say the least. Let me know here what you think.

Take care, :)

Mike :sword:

Dr Laura Schlessinger is a US Radio personality who dispenes advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality was an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following is an open letter to Dr Schlessinger penned by a US Resident, Jim, which was posted on the internet

Dear Dr Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you. however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think is a fair price for her?

3. I know I am allowed no contact with a women while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness (Lev. 15:19 - 24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed posess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, bot not Canadians. Can you please clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we all go to the trouble of getting the whole town to stone them (Lev. 24:10 - 16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know that you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,

Jim

• 1 year later...
PErfect... even expanded from when I last saw it.

:2thumbs:

This is really funny. I just came across the SAME "letter" about 2 weeks ago. I read this letter was NEVER really sent.. it is a hoax. (www.snopes.com). HOWEVER: it does bring up some good points about "selective" bible reading.

just my 2 cents

superjaxxy

::: a child's laughter = angels dancing with joy in heaven:::

The letter is probably form this episode of "West Wing"

http://www.newsaic.com/ftvww25i.html

The Midterms (episode 25). Entering the third year of Bartlett's first term in office, the staff tries to get more Democratic seats in Congress (1). Bartlett, who is frustrated with fund-raising calls that he makes from outside the Oval Office (2), becomes obsessed with a long-ago rival who is making a political comeback onto a New Hampshire school board, and takes it out on a radio talk-show host who has attacked gays and lesbians (3) by quoting Scripture back against her (4). Sam talks a friend who is now a popular prosecutor into running for Congress but backs away from him when it comes out that his friend may have used his peremptory challenges in racially discriminatory ways (5). Josh, who is still recovering from the shooting, annoys everyone with his new obsession with the recently completed Grand Unification Theory (6).