Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,296
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. That colt is 'coming two'. If he was born in early summer or earlier he would already be two full years. Once a horse's knees close (there's an opening between the bones while they are growing) it is safe to ride them without doing damage. That happens when they are two... or sometimes a little later. I waited till my big mare was three before I backed her, and didn't show her under saddle till her fourth year, but my other horses were started at two, once they were x-rayed. Back then, they could tell by size and movement etc. Nowadays we can x-ray to be sure the plates have closed. My point is, he is ready to gentle, and can be ridden and given light work. A good horseman would not work them heavy until they were in their third year... but horses do race as two-year-olds. So yeah, he is already a stallion, just not mature enough to take on his dad, who will soon chase him out of the herd so he doesn't become competition. If he starts sniffing around the mares he becomes exiled right away. Still, Lucas knows the incredible pull that colt already has on Jubal, so he does have an ally. The man is perceptive, and he seems to really get Jubal, so is figuring out how to make him comfortable, but he is not manipulative... not to say he isn't convincing. We don't know yet whether he doesn't want to lose his friend... or wants something more. Yeah, the comments have been great. It makes this all so much more fun for me, and I like that there is a mystery nagging at some of you. Good luck in your search. Jubal's name has a few meanings. 'Ram's Horn' is most common, and 'stream' is another one, but the one that intrigued me was 'one who runs'. Thanks for your research... I didn't know about that which glides away... it fits. Awesome stuff, buddy.
  2. I like your positivity, Terry, but life can through a lot at a person. Will they even be together a month from now? Nobody knows but me... and maybe that land is already sold.
  3. This is so cool... that readers are so invested in finding the connection. Good luck to you, my friend. Just don't expect any help from me.
  4. There is always room for more words, Dan. Never worry about that. I love interacting after I post a new chapter. Westerns bring out the kid in me too, and you're right about Robert Conrad!. Big Valley... Heath Barkley... Bonanza... Little Joe. Sigh.... On Track was written at the same time as Boundaries, for the same anthology. It was tough to write in many ways, and I actually considered not posting it. That's why I started Boundaries, but after I had a bit of time away from On Track, I realized it was a story some readers would appreciate exactly for the reasons it was tough to write. Accidents do happen...so do illnesses, and we never know where or when loss will come from. I agree... simple celebrations are the best. If I remember right, like Woodrow, you found your Paul too. Cheers to the brave guys, my friend, and cheers to those who help us pick up the pieces. Thanks for sharing.
  5. Works for me. "Boundaries" helped get me out of a writing slump, and it's a story that covers a lot of good ground despite being only four chapters. Those characters have stuck with me, and one day I may continue their story, but that time hasn't come yet. Larkspur does stand alone, but I think it is richer when Sidewinder is read first. Thanks, Dan. I do appreciate the shoutouts on my westerns.
  6. He's a spanking monkey.
  7. Good move, Mr. South.
  8. *high fives Froggy*
  9. Riling folks up is my job, sir. Great tip, but a better tip is to read Sidewinder first, then Larkspur. Your conclusion is... I do like your high hopes... but beware some twists and turns... says the sneaky author. He he.
  10. Hello, my friend! Would Reid dare to buy land next door to Lucas? I like the way you think... that would create a lot of drama and piss Lucas off most likely. Lol... peeking through the trees. All he's going to see is some horse wrangling, right? Finally, someone who's going against the grain, who doesn't think it's Coy or Boone. This is getting interesting. There are sparks, aren't there? Subtle, but I see them too. Amen. I'd like to think I never disappoint, but I'm sure I have... maybe just a time or two. Thank you, sweet lady. This is fun, isn't it?
  11. Not yet, he ain't.
  12. A good cowboy will do what's asked of him, can go all night... or day... and years of moving in the saddle gives him a certain kind of rhythm. Lol... yeah... I'm trying... but I was stretching with old Alan.
  13. Hey, Coral!! Thank you, dear friend. Happy to hear you are still enjoying this and loving it. Kind of surprises me readers care about the horse wrangling as much as I do... it's a rewarding thing to hear. I'll keep it up until I get dragged off somewhere. Wishing you all the best!
  14. There is something to be said for learning how to connect with an animal before trying it with a man. So yes, in Lucas's case, we can equate the two. Lucas understands horses, and it seems he understands Jubal needs a patient hand. Sigh....
  15. Hey, VBlew! Their friendship is indeed growing, and yeah, we all want it to turn into something else, but life doesn't come with guarantees, and neither does love. I think Lucas, while fortunate to have the place he does, has had a rough time of it. If... and I'm saying if... it was Boone he went looking for in a romantic way, he never stood a chance because Boone has only ever loved Coy. Jubal has had it tough too, and maybe fate is finally smiling on them both. We'll see. As far as the property next door, all I can say on the matter is . Thanks for this, buddy. Glad you are still engaged with this story.
  16. Hey, Sherye! They have big plans, and i hope they can pull them off. They are partners in the horses until at least the coming spring... after that, who knows? They'll have time now to get to know each other better, without any pressure, and that is a good thing for a man like Jubal. The land next door? I don't know what you are talking about. Thanks, my friend.
  17. @Mancunian is eloquent and thoughtful.
  18. Whatever.
  19. Yeah... great minds...
  20. In mu humble opinion, a good gentling horseman makes for a good lover. Just saying. Sigh... maybe he was checking out Alan Bright.
×
×
  • Create New...